IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

+1 We Three is the only Phineas Newborn album I really like and it has all to do with the combination of Haynes and Chambers:

We Three, recorded in a single session on November 14, 1958, was the first American studio date as a bandleader for the diminutive and legendary jazz drummer Roy Haynes, although with pianist Phineas Newborn on board (along with bassist Paul Chambers), it really is a set dominated by Newborn, whose busy, two-handed technique here works in tandem balance with Haynes' cool refinement. Newborn was all about amazing and dazzling piano runs that on some dates created simply too much flash and clutter to allow pieces to flow and breathe properly, but Haynes has always been about grace and flow throughout his career (if a drummer's style can said to be elegant, Haynes fits the bill), and here he rubs off on Newborn, who exercises just enough restraint to keep him in the proper orbit, resulting in a fine album. Highlights include the easy, pure swing of the opener, a version of Ray Bryant's "Reflection," a wonderful and bluesy rendition of Avery Parrish's "After Hours" (which finds Newborn in perfect balance between explosive ornamentation and smooth functionality), and a jaunty, fun spin through Newborn's own "Sugar Ray," a tribute to boxer Sugar Ray Robinson. This trio had a brief recording career together, but as this solid set shows, they made the best of it.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 9/24/2017 at 1:24 PM, christian u said:

What became of the studio?

That room should be on the Unesco World Heritage list.

30th-St-Studio-C.jpg

Sad but this is what happened;

Columbia failed to buy the building (for an estimated $250,000; equivalent to $620,000 after inflation) when they abandoned their contracts with the studio in 1982. CBS felt constrained by restrictions imposed by the owner, including a closing time of 10 p.m. or 11 p.m. The owner then sold it for $1.2 million, and it was quickly reacquired for $4.5 million ($11 million after inflation).[2]

The building was later demolished and a mid-rise residential apartment building called "The Wilshire" was built in its place, completed in 1985

wikipedia

• 4 weeks later...
On 10-9-2017 at 3:31 PM, PAP said:

I don't know if you have seen this documentary already, if not it explains a bit of the magic;

1959 The Year that Changed Jazz

That docu makes me wonder if the ability to record more and more tracks on to tape has to do with the slowly degrading sound quality up through the '60. I mean they had 2 tracks to tape, then 3, then 4, then 8 and so forth....or?

On 11/12/2017 at 11:54 AM, christian u said:

That docu makes me wonder if the ability to record more and more tracks on to tape has to do with the slowly degrading sound quality up through the '60. I mean they had 2 tracks to tape, then 3, then 4, then 8 and so forth....or?

I am not an expert but i think that the the tape size also increased through the years from 1/4 inch to 2 inch.

Any experts here who can answer this?

On 11/15/2017 at 8:35 PM, oso said:

Listening to this right now;

Brand new and with very impressive SQ, as is always the case with the albums from that label:

[video]

[/video]

The SQ is good but I am even more impressed with the musical aspect. the way track 1 and 2 (Norwegian and Nowhere man) is made into a medley is just marvellous. And it takes a helluva musician to make a new version of these timeless songs from the fab four that I can stand listening to.