IGNORED

Music for testing Audio Equipment

On 4/27/2015 at 1:49 PM, gmgraves said:

"Best music to test audio equipment with."

There can be only one answer to that question: Play what you like and what you are familiar with - regardless of genre. The sound of the stereo has to please you, not some self-appointed arbiter of taste such as magazines like Stereophile and The Absolute Sound tend to be. Only you know what you want your system to sound like. Some go for neutral, accurate sound (like me). others like big bass, bold mids and bright sparkling highs, with no concern about how this differs from the sound of real music, played in a real space. But that's why it's your stereo. It exists to make you happy. So "voice" your system using the music that you listen to and leave all the "recommended" test material to the recommenders!

Yeah, I Feel the same. For testing any system you'll want to use music your familiar with and enjoy! An your personal list will change as you grow as a listener. 

Though for testing imaging and bass response  on headphones, I still like Cheskys Ultimate Headphone Demonstration Disc. Four Surround Voices, Drum an Bell around the Mic and the Heart Beat tracks are favorites of mine, otherwise if I'm trying to judge resolve and frequency response I use music I love an am familiar with, such as Kind of Blue by Miles Davis and ...The Shortest Straw by Metallica amoung others!

On 11/29/2017 at 1:45 PM, oso said:

Thanks Mshenay:D I will check out you suggestions.

Yea let me know what you think! As goofy as it sounds, I always listen to four surround voices before I do any serious listening with any of my headphones. My head is kinda lop sided so I have to adjust the fit each time to make sure I get  consistent imaging precision and size

• 2 weeks later...
On 17-11-2017 at 2:35 PM, PAP said:

The SQ is good but I am even more impressed with the musical aspect. the way track 1 and 2 (Norwegian and Nowhere man) is made into a medley is just marvellous. And it takes a helluva musician to make a new version of these timeless songs from the fab four that I can stand listening to.

The DXD and DSD version has just been released on Native DSD with an interesting pruducers note: [video]

[/video]

“Every recording situation has it’s own special challenges. In the case of the Paul Berner Band performing the music of the fabfour from Liverpool, the challenge was to accept reed player Michael Moore’s request of being placed not in front of but “in the band” right next to bassist Paul Berner. Before the musicians arrived we had envisioned him fronting the band, not lined up between Paul and Ed. Eventually it turned out to be a blessing as the stereo image we created with the room microphones correlated perfectly with the spot microphones, probably even more so than if we had had it our way with Michael up front.   

I've come across "Walking on the Moon" from CD "Star Tracks" by the Yuri Honing Trio on Challenge Records JIM 75043. It's rarely available in the second hand market but is now on iTunes, hopefully in loss less format - maybe someone with ITunes could check? It gets a mention in several equipment reviews and the clips sound excellent.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

12 hours ago, oso said:

Yeah I found that too but it says "Product is no longer available". I contacted the label (details on the url you provided) and they said they'd omitted to distribute it digitally so have now put it on iTunes, however I think that means their lossy format. Also unfortunately they have no plans to provide a high res file from the master.

🎸🎶🏔️🐺

On 10-12-2017 at 3:38 PM, blue2 said:

I've come across "Walking on the Moon" from CD "Star Tracks" by the Yuri Honing Trio on.....

and the drummer Joost  Lijbaart is a leader in his own right with  the band Batik.  They have made this great sounding download;

8 hours ago, PAP said:

I have the Star Tracks CD. It is well recorded but compared to more recent recordings I don't think it holds up.

Tony Overwaters magnificent bass sound is way better captured here;

compared to;

where it sounds more like an electric bass

Maybe the comparison is not fair.  The first is a modern audiophile recording, the second a commercial old one.

Roch

• 3 weeks later...
On 13-12-2017 at 5:57 PM, oso said:

and the drummer Joost  Lijbaart is a leader in his own right with  the band Batik.  They have made this great sounding download;

On 14-12-2017 at 5:08 PM, PAP said:

I have the Star Tracks CD. It is well recorded but compared to more recent recordings I don't think it holds up.

Tony Overwaters magnificent bass sound is way better captured here;

compared to;

where it sounds more like an electric bass

Those albums are on sale at the moment  25% off.  https://www.soundliaison.com/

On 12/13/2017 at 10:12 AM, blue2 said:

Yeah I found that too but it says "Product is no longer available". I contacted the label (details on the url you provided) and they said they'd omitted to distribute it digitally so have now put it on iTunes, however I think that means their lossy format. Also unfortunately they have no plans to provide a high res file from the master.

I find that very strange. How much space does it take up on their server? Maybe the licence deal ran out.

• 2 weeks later...

Listening to the youtube audio now. Very beautiful song

There is a strange delay on the voice.

At the end of the song it is not there.

I prefer the sound of the voice at the end.

Where did you download it? I find the song so pretty that I will purchase it despite my dislike of the  electronic/artificial instruments entering at 1.40.:D

6 hours ago, PAP said:

Where did you download it? I find the song so pretty that I will purchase it despite my dislike of the  electronic/artificial instruments entering at 1.40.:D

Its on the album "afterglow"...

13 hours ago, PAP said:

Chez Qobuz.

Roch

I like this thread, plenty of good ideas and recommendations.

But back to the original question: What do you want to test if you have to reference as to how any of these downloads or CDs should ideally sound? They usually do not come with an explanation as to what you are supposed to hear when and where...

In the end it comes down to have a set of personal favorites and listen to this collection in as many different setups as possible. 

Chris

Software > Roon Server & HQ Player4 on Windows 2019/AO & MacMini MMK (plus Audirvana 3.5)  > Netgear GS105EV2 > Meicord Opal > Naim NDX 2 > Naim SN2 + Lyngdorf CD-2 + Rega RP8/Aria >  > Harbeth SHL5 plus