IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

2 hours ago, One and a half said:

Thanks for the review link to 6moons. I cannot concentrate to read the review directly at 6moons because of the type set, layout and god awful graphic design choices. For the X1 it was worth the CTRL + C and CTRL + V to transpose the pages into something easier to read. Once finished the read there'll be comments. Then again these guys go over the moon sometimes.

Good to know it's not "just me." ^_^

1 hour ago, Doak said:

Good to know it's not "just me." ^_^

No doubt that the 6 Moons layout is challenging to read.  Plus, the writing style of Srajan Ebaen can be off-putting to some.  I personally like his writing but as the Romans said, "de gustibus non est disputandum."

Life is short. Go for it.

Did I mention I'm driving an 18-year-old car? Lumin doesn't need oil changes or tuneups. It won't rust.

Separately, I was startled to learn the shipping weight is 15.4 kg / 34 lbs. This is definitely serious kit.

Screen Shot 2018-09-11 at 8.16.11 PM.png

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

Life is short. Go for it.

The T1, that is. Did not intend that to sound snarky. A new digital front end is a choice, like driving an 18-year-old car.

You may see me broken down on the side of the road. But I'll be happy to come home to my music. And my wife. ?

"There are no bad decisions. Only consequences."

--

Wouldn't you really rather have a Lumin?

As a fan of instant gratification, I have always been put off that there is not a dealer in my area that has the X1 in stock, ready to listen to, and put some money where my mouth is.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I have an A1. Has any A1 owner tried the new optional power supply now available (same as X1)? If yes

what effect did it have and by chance did anyone compare to Kenneth Lau linear power supply? I am just wondering

if this is a good bang for the buck upgrade to an A1 or marginal. Thanks

On 9/7/2018 at 11:31 AM, wklie said:

Lumin U1MINI is a cost-reduced full-function version of U1 at the physical size of D2 and a price tag of not higher than D2.
http://www.luminmusic.com/lumin-u1-mini.html

Those who are using D1 or D2 SPDIF output to an external DAC should upgrade to U1MINI for AES / USB output capability and improved SQ.

Just talked to a customer using Lumin U1 MINI USB output to Audio-gd R2R 1 DAC, he feels the SQ is significantly improved from his previous computer, in terms of texture, detail, black background, mid and bass.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 9/8/2018 at 3:07 PM, brw said:

Silver X1 on the way! While the positive Mono and Stereo review (obviously) is reassuring, I'd note that I "bit" earlier this week, prior to its publication. Cannot wait to be illuminated. ?

@Peter Lie: your participation here and elsewhere online definitely influenced my decision to purchase. Thank you for your contributions.

A Raspberry Pi and Yggy combo will give you much better SQ for less $$$. :)

24 minutes ago, skikirkwood said:

A Raspberry Pi and Yggy combo will give you much better SQ for less $$$. :)

You obviously have never hear a Lumin U1, S1 or X1.  

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

5 minutes ago, One and a half said:

If a VPN is necessary to connect to Qobuz

While waiting for Peter to answer for Lumin,

For me a VPN was only necessary one time, to setup the account (I setup a UK account for example).

After account setup, there's no VPN required to play - I'm speaking from my non-Lumin experience though.