IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

13 hours ago, wklie said:

In case there is anyone who uses Audirvana Plus, a beta firmware is available for Lumin to support its UPnP operation (and contains a fix for JRiver support as well).  Gapless playback and DSD are supported.

The value of Audirvana Plus is that we can now use its iZotope or SoX upsampling for PCM to DSD512 upsampling for Lumin X1 (or DSD128/64 for other models).

Roon can also upsample music to DSD512 for Lumin X1, but it is much more expensive and has less configurable upsampling parameters.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

btw... how does Lumin internal upsampling work? does it perform some sort of "filtering"?

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

only asked out of curiosity: I'm using Roon and... will give Audirvana another try once official fw is out ;)

(I also just kissed DSD good bye and ordered a great NOS, filterless, DAC :) )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Roon forum member dhusky posted his impressions of Lumin D2 in https://community.roonlabs.com/t/dsd...568/16?u=wklie

I genuinely cried during the first track I listened to…for me it really was that good at conveying the music. Vocals and instruments all seem to just sound more present, 3 dimensional and organic, drums and guitar in particular sound as I believe they should. The background against which they appear also seems somehow darker and more silent. The rest of my system, which lusts longingly for a future upgrade to Amphion speakers and a Hegel amp, has no business sounding this good. My headphones, connected via the balanced outputs to an Arcam rHead, also sound completely upgraded. I’ll make a decision over the weekend after some more hard-headed comparison but at this point I’d be very surprised if I don’t choose to keep it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 11/24/2018 at 11:02 PM, wklie said:

Lumin X1 review by audiophile-magazine in French:
http://www.audiophile-magazine.com/bancs-d-essais/lumin-x1/

In the review Joël Chevassus states:

"It is without doubt the streamer that in my system has developed the most structured sound stage."

"The strength of the LUMIN X1 remains this stereophonic image of a hallucinatory precision."

"Lumin X1 is a very exceptional digital transport, very precise...the X1 brings you extra resolution"

"There is this sense of urgency and visceral energy that remains a very addictive character trait of the Lumin X1, and that difference in terms of performance, between the previous S1 and the new flagship, justifies in itself the move upmarket."

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Peter... just got a new DAC, Metrum Adagio, and... no more gapless playback (via USB) from my Lumin U1 Mini ?

headphones system:

thank you@wklie ?

headphones system:

'Best Sound' Award for LUMIN X1 system.

High Fidelity have presented the Art & Voice system with a 'Best Sound' Award at the recent Poland Audio Video Show 2018.

The system was:
GRADIENT LABS. | NORMA AUDIO ELECTRONICS| LUMIN X1 | FIDATA | HIJIRI

Many thanks to:

Art & Voice for organizing the room and including us in their system:
http://www.artandvoice.pl

High Fidelity for taking the time to listen:
http://highfidelity.pl

Audio Video Show for putting such a great event together
http://audioshow.pl

N23.thumb.JPG.20c2a9d690aa67daa1c1dbe4d0c66c2a.JPG

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I use JRiver Media Center to house and stream music to my Lumin S1.  I also use the Lumin app and JRemote to control the flow of music in my system.  Recently (I don't know when it started and/or if it was related to a firmware change or not) gapless playback has ceased with JRemote although it still functions with the Lumin app.

Any idea what may have happened and congrats to the Lumin X1 for "best in show" award at the Poland A/V show!  Fantastic!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

12 minutes ago, wklie said:

Please install the firmware I sent you in PM on November 20.  You can also try Audirvana upsampling with it.

My bad.  You have a keen memory.  I'll do it when the family starts their day and get back to you.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

I've received this e-mail from a happy Lumin X1 customer:

Peter I have around 400 hours on my X1 now and it is scary good, the best digital I have ever heard. If you told me 5 years ago digital will sound like this I would have said no way, no way it will ever come close to vinyl but on some double and quad downloads it is getting real close.
Thanks for a great product.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

A question about connectivity.  I know that Lumin doesn't recommend connecting both the balanced and unbalanced outputs of the Lumin, the S1 in my case, at the same time.

Can someone give me the technical reasons for not doing this?  Is it an impedance or loading issue or what exactly is it?  The reason I ask is that I'd like to use one of the outputs to drive a headphone amp without having the entire system up and running or having to swap cables.

Thank you!

20 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

A question about connectivity.  I know that Lumin doesn't recommend connecting both the balanced and unbalanced outputs of the Lumin, the S1 in my case, at the same time.

Can someone give me the technical reasons for not doing this?  Is it an impedance or loading issue or what exactly is it?  The reason I ask is that I'd like to use one of the outputs to drive a headphone amp without having the entire system up and running or having to swap cables.

Thank you!

Doing this negates the benefit of the balanced design. Just connect your headphone amp when you want to use it and then disconnect when done.

Main System: [Synology DS216, Rpi-4b LMS (pCP)], Holo Audio Red, Ayre QX-5 Twenty, Ayre KX-5 Twenty, Ayre VX-5 Twenty, Revel Ultima Studio2, Iconoclast speaker cables & interconnects, RealTraps acoustic treatments

Living Room: Sonore ultraRendu, Ayre QB-9DSD, Simaudio MOON 340iX, B&W 802 Diamond

11 minutes ago, Axiom05 said:

Doing this negates the benefit of the balanced design.

Could you please explain why?  I use both balanced (to my stereo amp) and unbalanced (to a pair of subs) connections on my Jeff Rowland Aeris.  Rowland says balanced and unbalanced are independent in their design and may be used simultaneously.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Thanks Axiom.  Disconnecting one or the other outputs from the Lumin in my system's arrangement is problematic.  I do use the balanced output to my main system but the run is about 0.5 meter and I doubt that the benefits of the balanced connection, reduction in common mode noise, would not be degraded appreciably.

I was thinking that the two loads may alter the frequency response of the Lumin design but I could be wrong.  I'll give the system a listen both ways and if I can't hear anything one way or the other I may just connect them both.

9 minutes ago, rickca said:

Could you please explain why?  I use both balanced (to my stereo amp) and unbalanced (to a pair of subs) connections on my Jeff Rowland Aeris.  Rowland says balanced and unbalanced are independent in their design and may be used simultaneously.

Maybe the engineers at Lumin did not design them to be completely independent because of the Lundahl output stage?

They are indeed not independent.  Connecting both does not harm the equipment but may degrade the sound quality (this does not affect D1 / D2 much because they use a different design that does not involve Lundahl transformers).  That's the theory, if you try it let me know whether you hear any degradation.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

25 minutes ago, wklie said:

They are indeed not independent.  Connecting both does not harm the equipment but may degrade the sound quality (this does not affect D1 / D2 much because they use a different design that does not involve Lundahl transformers).  That's the theory, if you try it let me know whether you hear any degradation.

Thanks wklie!  These tired old ears probably would not hear any difference but I will let you know.  Also, depending on how much scotch whiskey I've had sometimes even MP3s sound acceptable but that's a completely different matter altogether.