IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

7 hours ago, Ali T said:

Anyone know if the D2 will play from a USB drive without being connected to a network?

D2 (and all Lumin players) will play from USB drive, but it must be connected to the network (WiFi router).  Without the network it will not even boot up and you cannot control it.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

The current recommended configuration for Lumin X1 is to use a Cisco SG112-24 Compact switch, a pair of single mode 1310nm SFP modules, and LC-LC Duplex 9/125um Corning ClearCurve Single Mode fiber (from ebay).

The Cisco switch SG112-24 is now sold at Amazon for less than $99
https://www.amazon.com/SYSTEMS-24-Port-Gigabit-Switch-SG11224NA/dp/B00VPT8XSQ

It is worthwhile to note because:
1. It has SFP slots to enable the use of the optic fiber network in X1
2. Even ignoring the SFP slots, people using other non-Lumin setup have reported positive results

At least two comments say the Amazon photo is wrong, claiming their received product is the compact version instead of the larger rack mount version.

For Roon users, please beware that it has occurred before Cisco managed switches and certain models of Cisco unmanaged switches can cause problems with Roon (some experience network flow control issues).  I have not seen Roon users reporting problems with this particular switch so far.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, wklie said:

At least two comments say the Amazon photo is wrong, claiming their received product is the compact version instead of the larger rack mount version.

I can confirm that the model Amazon ships from this link is indeed the compact version, not the rack mount version in the photo shown in its web page. The compact version photo can be seen here at newegg, which has since reduced the price to match Amazon:

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA36Z3US3666&Description=cisco sg112-24 compact&cm_re=cisco_sg112-24_compact-_-33-422-828-_-Product

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Another customer of U1 MINI posted his feedback in https://www.hiendy.com/hififorum/forum.php?mod=redirect&goto=findpost&ptid=121559&pid=2868712

Since it's in Chinese, I translated it here:

The dealer's environment is noisy due to construction work nearby, so I just paid for the U1 MINI and left.  Honestly I did not expect much originally.  After coming home, it brings an obvious difference.  I merely wanted to try Tidal MQA originally, but SQ is improved for both NAS and Tidal playback.  Imaging, soundstage, and clarity are all improved.  I'm most surprised by that U1 MINI can support Mytek 192 USB 2.0 input.

Note: To use Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC, it must be powered on, switched to USB 2.0 input and connected to U1 MINI, before the U1 MINI is powered on.  The reason is that U1 (MINI) has to recognize the Mytek Stereo192-DSD at boot time and load the special driver for it.  This special boot sequence is not needed for any other DAC, including newer Mytek DAC.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

if I had to base my purchase decision on what I heard at dealer's... ?

when asked if *that sound* is what *he* likes, he said that that kind of system is what people buys! ?

?

but once home the U1 Mini delivered all his goodness ?

(pssst... Lumin... tell your dealers to show/demo the Mini in their best "rooms" ;) )

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

Audioshark Mike posted http://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=14248&page=17&p=253501&viewfull=1#post253501

I’ve been listening to the Lumin X1 at home and I have to say, it’s a really terrific network streamer. I’m using Ethernet (not fiber) and really enjoying. It really is a big step up from the S1. It’s sweeter on top with great separation and just as musical.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

On 10/26/2018 at 1:58 PM, wklie said:

I just learned that Cisco classified it as End-of-Life, with last date of hardware support being December 31, 2020. So this is probably why the price is so low as compared to normal Cisco products.  (Just now the price bounced high...)

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Buying EOL does not bother me especially if the price is too good to pass up.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

Audioshark member FDPDK posted his impression of X1 against T1: http://www.audioshark.org/showthread.php?t=14248&page=17&p=253623&viewfull=1#post253623

went home listened to some songs on my Lumin T1, before making the change to the X1
And on with the songs.... waouu , that is really great in so many areas... did not expect that to be so much.
Better definition of soundstage as well as instruments and voices....bass is really good.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

I caused a network issue, lost connectivity to my S1, and can't figure out how to fix it.  I reconfigured my network from a 192.168.3.xxx setup to the more standard 192.168.1.1 setup.  Now my Lumin is nowhere to be found.  Please tell me how to reset the unit to use DHCP on the newly defined network.

Thanks!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

19 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I caused a network issue, lost connectivity to my S1, and can't figure out how to fix it.  I reconfigured my network from a 192.168.3.xxx setup to the more standard 192.168.1.1 setup.  Now my Lumin is nowhere to be found.  Please tell me how to reset the unit to use DHCP on the newly defined network.

Thanks!

One thing, you did change the network toplogy at the router? It does take some time for devices to accept a new location. Sometimes a simple on off doesn't work anymore, patience sometimes. If you setup the Lumin as a fixed address, that will cause some drama!

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

40 minutes ago, One and a half said:

One thing, you did change the network toplogy at the router? It does take some time for devices to accept a new location. Sometimes a simple on off doesn't work anymore, patience sometimes. If you setup the Lumin as a fixed address, that will cause some drama!

I am pretty sure I had it set as DHCP because the address ended in .117 and I can't imagine why I would have purposely selected that oddball address.  Worst case I suppose I could take an old router, reconfigure it for the .3. subnet and try and get to the Lumin that way.  Thanks for the thoughts!

On second thought, I don't ever remember the option of being able to set an I.P. address on my S1 manually but I could be wrong.

11 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

I am pretty sure I had it set as DHCP because the address ended in .117 and I can't imagine why I would have purposely selected that oddball address.  Worst case I suppose I could take an old router, reconfigure it for the .3. subnet and try and get to the Lumin that way.  Thanks for the thoughts!

DHCP is determined by one device for a home network, that's usually a wired or wireless router, which it's reasonably good at. If you set IP addresses manually, that can cause conflicts, so best be careful.

Here is the config of the DHCP settings in my Asus router. The addresses from 1-19 are reserved for fixed IP addresses like servers, printer, so everything else is DHCP.

image.thumb.png.20ff09311fce1a4335e5b46923d846eb.png

The router can also list connected devices, if the S1 is not there, it might still have its old address, pretty sure the Lumin can be contacted with a web browser to check the settings. 

image.thumb.png.3428e653a57a9e23254731fe8307ec3e.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

4 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

I reconfigured my network from a 192.168.3.xxx setup to the more standard 192.168.1.1 setup.  Now my Lumin is nowhere to be found.  Please tell me how to reset the unit to use DHCP on the newly defined network. 

Lumin always use DHCP.  There is no way to use a static IP address, other than reserving one for Lumin MAC address in the router DHCP server.

If you have changed your router DHCP subnet, please power cycle your whole network - including all switches, access points, Lumin, NAS and iPad, and anything else.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

6 hours ago, wklie said:

Lumin always use DHCP.  There is no way to use a static IP address, other than reserving one for Lumin MAC address in the router DHCP server.

If you have changed your router DHCP subnet, please power cycle your whole network - including all switches, access points, Lumin, NAS and iPad, and anything else.

Thanks folks.  Power cycling everything did the trick!

In case there is anyone who uses Audirvana Plus, a beta firmware is available for Lumin to support its UPnP operation (and contains a fix for JRiver support as well).  Gapless playback and DSD are supported.

Anyone who would like to try this beta please let me know and state your Lumin model.  Thank you.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Roon forum member Carl_Clicteur posted https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lumin-u1-mini-transport/50521/53?u=wklie

I’ve received the Lumin U1 mini for demo purposes.
It’s connected between Roon ROCK (passive cooled NUC with SBooster) and a Devialet 400.
Before I played directly over ethernet from ROCK to Devialet, and was not too happy about the SQ.
Then I added a SOtM USBultra and connected over USB to the Devialet (AQ Diamond cable), that improved SQ.
Now I’ve connected the Lumin U1 mini using coaxial (Nordost BNC), and what a game changer !!!
The Lumin U1 mini will remain in my hifi rack

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

2 minutes ago, wklie said:

In case there is anyone who uses Audirvana Plus, a beta firmware is available for Lumin to support its UPnP operation (and contains a fix for JRiver support as well).  Gapless playback and DSD are supported.

Anyone who would like to try this beta please let me know and state your Lumin model.  Thank you.

S1 here.  I'd like it.

I now have the D2 set up in my system and it works fine, with the exception that in the Lumin app it does not pick up my Drobo 5n. Works fine if I control it with Roon and I can play from my music library stored on the Drobo no problem. Anyone any idea why the Lumin app doesn’t see the Drobo?

Drobo is connected to router, as is my media pc, which the Lumin app sees, but not the Drobo.

9 minutes ago, Ali T said:

Lumin app it does not pick up my Drobo 5n

Lumin app needs to see a UPnP media server such as MinimServer.  I don't think that's available on Drobo.  Please install the MiniDLNA app for Drobo (or any other UPnP media service) and see if this service can be seen by Lumin app.  Even if it does, I'm afraid there may be some undesirable limitations such as missing album art.

Another alternative is to install MinimServer on a computer, accessing music from Drobo network mount.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead