IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

9 hours ago, wklie said:

Lumin X1 (Silver) causing my happy customer (previously used Lumin S1 and Ayre QX-5) to miss dinner:

http://www.xtremeplace.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=151647.msg1268646#msg1268646

Excellent!  Weight loss is another previously unknown benefit of listening with a Lumin!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

• 2 weeks later...

Newbie here.

I am thinking of replacing my Devialet 200 with a Lumin (thinking about the D2).  Why?  I am impressed with the Lumin product range and support.  On the latter point, I do like MQA (not interested in debating the topic, though ?) and that's one of my reasons for thinking I might move to Lumin, as the entire range offers MQA support, which Devialet does not and probably will not in the future.  Also, those who have Lumin crow about its analog sound.  My current set-up can sound digital at times and I think I might be able to tame it with a Lumin approach.

Has anyone on this forum moved from Devialet to Lumin?  If so, can you tell me your experience?

Thanks in advance!  Cheers, Flashman

I was recently asked to install firmware rev level 11.0b on my S1.  I could find no release notes saying what was changed.  Wklie, can you help?  Thanks in advance!

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2018 at 11:09 AM, wklie said:

Contains some photos of the Lumin X1 internals:

http://www.avbuzz.com/audio-video/201807/x1-2/

Sweet!

18 hours ago, Flashman said:

Newbie here.

I am thinking of replacing my Devialet 200 with a Lumin (thinking about the D2).  Why?  I am impressed with the Lumin product range and support.  On the latter point, I do like MQA (not interested in debating the topic, though ?) and that's one of my reasons for thinking I might move to Lumin, as the entire range offers MQA support, which Devialet does not and probably will not in the future.  Also, those who have Lumin crow about its analog sound.  My current set-up can sound digital at times and I think I might be able to tame it with a Lumin approach.

Has anyone on this forum moved from Devialet to Lumin?  If so, can you tell me your experience?

Hi Flashman - I’ve used both products and believe the sound you describe mirrors my experience. 

Are you using the Devialet for amplification as well?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Flashman - I’ve used both products and believe the sound you describe mirrors my experience. 

Are you using the Devialet for amplification as well?

Yes, I am using the Devialet for amplification.  My system is a Devialet Expert 200 powering Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers.  My only hardware source is a Bluesound Node 2 that I use for casual listening.  Most of my serious listening is via Roon/Devialet Ethernet (Air).

37 minutes ago, Flashman said:

Yes, I am using the Devialet for amplification.  My system is a Devialet Expert 200 powering Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers.  My only hardware source is a Bluesound Node 2 that I use for casual listening.  Most of my serious listening is via Roon/Devialet Ethernet (Air).

Would you still use the Devialet for an amp if you got the Lumin?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Would you still use the Devialet for an amp if you got the Lumin?

I was thinking of moving from the Devialet for two primary reasons: 1) the sound can be a little too digital at times, and 2) the cost to upgrade from an Expert to an Expert Pro is silly: about USD7490, including new casework.  I think that's way too dear to avail myself of the new software development path and marginal SQ enhancement.  So in answer to your question, I would not use the Devialet plus the Lumin.  I would be looking for different amplification, such as an nCore amp from Nord or other company.  Or a Hegel integrated.

3 minutes ago, Flashman said:

I was thinking of moving from the Devialet for two primary reasons: 1) the sound can be a little too digital at times, and 2) the cost to upgrade from an Expert to an Expert Pro is silly: about USD7490, including new casework.  I think that's way too dear to avail myself of the new software development path and marginal SQ enhancement.  So in answer to your question, I would not use the Devialet plus the Lumin.  I would be looking for different amplification, such as an nCore amp from Nord or other company.  Or a Hegel integrated.

Ah. That makes sense. 

I’m a big fan of Hegel. Really nice people and really nice products. 

5 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Ah. That makes sense. 

I’m a big fan of Hegel. Really nice people and really nice products. 

Re: Hegel, they've recently committed to MQA and I believe they will eventually be Roon Ready.

Also been looking at the Gold Note IS-1000 as it's an all-in-one box w/MQA and Roon Ready.

Choices, choices!

On 7/31/2018 at 5:00 AM, Flashman said:

Newbie here.

I have no experience with Devialet but I recently purchased a Lumin D2 and have been extremely pleased with it. I upgraded from an Oppo Sonica DAC streamer because the D2 sounds so much warmer to my ears. I stream MQA files from Tidal and they generally sound superior to their FLAC counterparts. FWIW, I'm not looking to debate this issue either. ?

1 minute ago, Route 66 said:

I have no experience with Devialet but I recently purchased a Lumin D2 and have been extremely pleased with it. I upgraded from an Oppo Sonica DAC streamer because the D2 sounds so much warmer to my ears. I stream MQA files from Tidal and they generally sound superior to their FLAC counterparts. FWIW, I'm not looking to debate this issue either. ?

Yep, from all that I have heard, the Lumin sound is what I am after (including MQA and Roon Ready).  Just trying to find a good integrated that won't break the bank with balanced inputs, as I hear that's the best way to connect the Lumin D2.  Also, I want to make sure the integrated plays nicely with my Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers...

7 hours ago, Flashman said:

Yep, from all that I have heard, the Lumin sound is what I am after (including MQA and Roon Ready).  Just trying to find a good integrated that won't break the bank with balanced inputs, as I hear that's the best way to connect the Lumin D2.  Also, I want to make sure the integrated plays nicely with my Vivid Oval 1.5 speakers...

Metrum Acoustics Forte: https://metrumacoustics.com/product/forte-by-metrum-acoustics/

On 7/31/2018 at 8:14 PM, BlueSkyy said:

I was recently asked to install firmware rev level 11.0b on my S1.  I could find no release notes saying what was changed.

It was a minor upgrade to use the latest RAAT 1.1.31 for Roon users.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

• 2 weeks later...

A Lumin X1 user vinci92 has shared his opinion in another forum:

Now that the adjustments have been made, and the people who have seen me share unrestrained criticism know me as someone very demanding and who has the nerve, here is my word to describe the new Lumin X1: Unbeatable. Living, moving, smooth but so much texture. Is it a living being. Its musicality is a rock that will not be beaten for a long time.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Another user Ritmo who auditioned Lumin X1 (from another forum):

Mike and I listened together for a few hours on Saturday. I kept the X1 through Monday. As a result, I was able to do 5 listening sessions.

To me, the X1 provides a more natural and open musical presentation. This is specially true with voices - female and male. Also, I was able to hear more detail - cymbals, bells and the micro dynamics of the music are more clear. However, I would not call it analytical or dry, simply a bit more clarity than the S1. They are closer in the bottom end - both very dynamic and strong bottom end.

Is it worth the upgrade? I think so.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

Looking it at another way, this proves that we have not influenced the review.  At least it is not negative as the one for another brand of flagship network DAC in a leading print magazine.  I feel bad for them, honestly.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

10 hours ago, wklie said:

Thanks for the review link to 6moons. I cannot concentrate to read the review directly at 6moons because of the type set, layout and god awful graphic design choices. For the X1 it was worth the CTRL + C and CTRL + V to transpose the pages into something easier to read. Once finished the read there'll be comments. Then again these guys go over the moon sometimes.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA