IGNORED

LUMIN - Audiophile Network Music Player

Lumin to discontinue the D1. (Japan from PhileWeb) Now, all except the model I'm after come in Black or Silver.

Notice, there's no price for the X1.

Blytone announced that it will revise the price of LUMIN brand network player / network transport product from June 1st order order.

S1_thumb.jpg
LUMIN S1

As the reason for price revisions, the company said it is "to revise manufacturer's export price". The prices after revision since the revision are as follows (all tax excluded). 

● Network player "S1" : 
Black ¥ 1,815,000 → ¥ 1,996,500 
Silver ¥ 1,650,000 → ¥ 1,815,000 

● Network transport "U1" : 
Black ¥ 1,210,000 → ¥ 1,331,000 
Silver ¥ 1,100,000 → ¥ 1,210,000 

● Network player "A1" : 
Black ¥ 1,210,000 → ¥ 1,331,000 
Silver ¥ 1,100,000 → ¥ 1,210,000 

● Network player "T1" : 
Silver ¥ 750,000 → ¥ 825,000 

● Network player "D2" : 
Black ¥ 385,000 → ¥ 423,500 
Silver ¥ 350,000 → ¥ 385,000 

Also regarding the network player "D1" With the end of production, sales ended on May 12th.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

• 2 weeks later...

Hello

I am a very happy Lumin D2 owner. Thinking about getting a new integrated amp. Would it be any significant sound improvement going for a fully balanced amp with XLR inputs instead of using RCA inputs? Anyone tested and compared the XLR and RCA connections with their Lumin streamer? (Cable length would only be 1 meter)

Cheers

Mic

We generally recommend XLR connection, regardless of the length of the interconnect you need.  Lumin products use a true balanced design so it can really take advantage of balanced connection.  A Lumin D2 user reported improvement switching from unbalanced to XLR:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lumin-d2-could-it-be-a-perceivable-upgrade-in-sound-quality/36567/31?u=wklie

Please note that Lumin is coming out with a new Class AB (power) amplifier:

http://luminmusic.com/lumin-amp.html

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

7 hours ago, Micmac said:

Hello

I am a very happy Lumin D2 owner. Thinking about getting a new integrated amp. Would it be any significant sound improvement going for a fully balanced amp with XLR inputs instead of using RCA inputs? Anyone tested and compared the XLR and RCA connections with their Lumin streamer? (Cable length would only be 1 meter)

Cheers

Mic

I think there are a lot of factors to consider when switching from RCA to XLA connections. The 'short' answer is, as Peter says above, is that there will be a performance improvement in moving from RCA to balanced XLA as Lumin's are balanced in their construction.

However, the improvement might not be 'night and day', and that depends on the rest of your system, cables etc.

From my own experience, I was using my Lumin A1 via RCA until very recently because my pre-amp lacked XLA inputs. I then acquired a new pre-amp with balanced XLA inputs, and switched to XLA connections from my Lumin. Interestingly, when comparing the RCA connection using Chord Signature Tuned Aray cables, to the XLR connection using Chord Anthem Reference cables, the RCA connection sounded better. I think this was probably because the quality of cable in this scenario was better.

However, I now use XLR Signature Tuned Aray cables to link the Lumin to the pre-amp, which sounds better than the RCA connection using the same quality/type of cable.

In short, I'm surprised about how much difference the quality of cable makes to the overall performance, and yes, XLA does ultimately sound better. But I think the degree of improvement is very system-dependent, and it will ultimately depend on the rest of the system it connects to/with.

Being objective, the Lumin's sound awesome whichever way they are connected, and if your amplification lacks balanced XLR inputs I wouldn't 'sweat it', unless you have a very resolving system downstream. It may be that using a better-quality RCA connection/cable may get you close to the quality afforded by XLR.

I hope this helps.

14 hours ago, wklie said:

We generally recommend XLR connection, regardless of the length of the interconnect you need.  Lumin products use a true balanced design so it can really take advantage of balanced connection.  A Lumin D2 user reported improvement switching from unbalanced to XLR:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/lumin-d2-could-it-be-a-perceivable-upgrade-in-sound-quality/36567/31?u=wklie

Please note that Lumin is coming out with a new Class AB (power) amplifier:

http://luminmusic.com/lumin-amp.html

Thank you for the info Wklie.

Yes the new Lumin amp looks really cool! 

14 hours ago, kelly200269 said:

I think there are a lot of factors to consider when switching from RCA to XLA connections. The 'short' answer is, as Peter says above, is that there will be a performance improvement in moving from RCA to balanced XLA as Lumin's are balanced in their construction.

However, the improvement might not be 'night and day', and that depends on the rest of your system, cables etc.

From my own experience, I was using my Lumin A1 via RCA until very recently because my pre-amp lacked XLA inputs. I then acquired a new pre-amp with balanced XLA inputs, and switched to XLA connections from my Lumin. Interestingly, when comparing the RCA connection using Chord Signature Tuned Aray cables, to the XLR connection using Chord Anthem Reference cables, the RCA connection sounded better. I think this was probably because the quality of cable in this scenario was better.

However, I now use XLR Signature Tuned Aray cables to link the Lumin to the pre-amp, which sounds better than the RCA connection using the same quality/type of cable.

In short, I'm surprised about how much difference the quality of cable makes to the overall performance, and yes, XLA does ultimately sound better. But I think the degree of improvement is very system-dependent, and it will ultimately depend on the rest of the system it connects to/with.

Being objective, the Lumin's sound awesome whichever way they are connected, and if your amplification lacks balanced XLR inputs I wouldn't 'sweat it', unless you have a very resolving system downstream. It may be that using a better-quality RCA connection/cable may get you close to the quality afforded by XLR.

I hope this helps.

Thanks for the info and sharing your experience with the different connections and cables. Interesting to hear about the improvement you found regarding the quality of cables as well. I will definitely keep this in mind on my quest for a new stereo amp! Hopefully  balanced.. but of course depending on my budget. Anyway like you say the Lumin sound is awesome!!!!

Peter,

I see with the new X1 there is a new power supply which is also available as an upgrade to existing S1 / A1 / T1 customers. Can you comment on what improvements to A1 you might expect with this new power supply? Also do you know the availablility? Thanks

The S1 has an internal power supply and wouldn’t be able to use an external one.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

My S1 has an external power supply.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

55 minutes ago, Roy Boy said:

I see with the new X1 there is a new power supply which is also available as an upgrade to existing S1 / A1 / T1 customers. Can you comment on what improvements to A1 you might expect with this new power supply?

I expect improved imaging, details and dynamics.  I hope to provide more information or confirmation about this when we can obtain everything necessary for a proper listening test.  I don't have an ETA yet, but I guess it'll become available shortly after X1 becomes available.

Peter Lie

LUMIN Firmware Lead

40 minutes ago, BlueSkyy said:

My S1 has an external power supply.

My S1 does too.  I misspoke,!  I was thinking of my Lumin D2.

MAIN SYSTEM - SST Ambrosia 2000 Second Edition Preamp and Son of Ampzilla II Amp, dCS Debussy DAC, Bricasti M5 Streamer, PS Audio P3 Power Plant, Aurender ACS10 Server/Streamer, Focal Sopra No. 1 Speakers, JL Audio F112 Subwoofer, Elac SUB3070 Subwoofer, 20TB Synology NAS, Small Green Computer i5/1TB SSD running Roon

HOME OFFICE SYSTEM - NAD M10 Integrated Amp/Streamer/DAC, Auralic Altair Streamer/DAC, Oppo BDP-103 SACD, KEF LS50 Speakers

• 4 weeks later...

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but the only way to upgrade an A1 to and X1 is to sell your A1 and purchase an X1.  Said another way, I don't believe there is an upgrade path for these units.

Denafrips Terminator + DAC fed by a Denafrips GAIA DDC, HTPC running JRiver MC, iFi PRO iCAN Signature headphone amp, Marantz AV8805, OPPO BDP-105 for SACD ripping, Sony UBP-X100ES for watching and listening, McIntosh MC1201s Front L/R with Bryston powering the remaining 5 channels, B&W N-801s, B&W HTM-1 in Tiger Eye, B&W 801 IIIs on the sides and in the rear, JL-F212 sub, ReVOX PR-99Mk II, Rega P10 and Alpheta 3, PS Audio Nuwave Phono Amp, Audeze LCD-4 and LCD-XC, UE18 IEMs, Sony CD3000 rebuilt, Sony VPL-VW995ES laser projector, Joe Kane Affinity 120" screen, Cables: Cardas Clear Beyond speaker, Wireworld Platinum Elite 7 RCA, custom (by me) XLRs using affordable, quality parts 🙂

9 hours ago, BlueSkyy said:

Someone will correct me if I am wrong but the only way to upgrade an A1 to and X1 is to sell your A1 and purchase an X1.  Said another way, I don't believe there is an upgrade path for these units.

I think that’s the case. You can’t change the internals of the A1 to an X1. The two are different models, and you would have to sell your A1 to buy an X1.

Certainly an upgrade path would be great for us consumers but then the manufacturer would suffer some loss in revenue I suspect.

When I purchased my first Lumin, an A1, and then within a couple of months the S1 came out my dealer offered me the full price of what I paid for the A1 toward the cost of the S1.  I really, really, love my dealer and he's indicated that he'd do the same when the X1 hits the streets.

Good news I'll take two!  One of each colour!

I just wanted to share my experiences with cables with my A1.

I've always been a bit of a skeptic where cables are concerned, and have always gone for 'good value' cables. Not the most expensive, and not the cheapest either. I couldn't understand why people would spend thousands on cables. Surely it couldn't be worth it?

That is, until now.

Until recently I had my A1 cabled-up using Chord Anthem Reference XLR cables. And it sounded great. However, due to a number of circumstances a little while ago, I managed to 'upgrade' these cables to Chord Signature Tuned Aray XLR. And there was definitely a massive improvement. More 'music' is the simple way to put it.

And then I got thinking: 'What if...?' Yet again, I bit-the-bullet and managed to get hold of a pair of Chord Sarum Super Aray XLR cables. WOW! What an improvement. These cables really seem to bring every last ounce of quality out of the A1, and the improvement, from just a 'simple' cable, is just astounding. I never knew my A1 could sound so good!

I'm now no longer such a sceptic about cables. Much to the detriment of my bank account! ?

On 5/30/2018 at 5:28 PM, Micmac said:

Hello

Cheers

Mic

Congrats on the D2....it is always a consideration.

In answer to your question, it depends more on the amp than the XLR or not....example, i like my mcintosh amp without XLR more than i did an NAD with XLR...but if you have an amp that has both, i would suggest trying both, and you will likely prefer the xlr, but the amp itself will be a bigger factor in most cases....buy a used mcintosh, you won't be disappointed, and you can always sell it for what you paid (best resell value of any amps), if you aren't impressed....most mcintosh owners, would never think of not always owning a McIntosh.

You need to ensure the integrated amp is fully balanced design.  Some are and some aren't.  The Lumin D2 is a fully balanced design