IGNORED

Civility

wdw

@plissken

maybe be we are talking cross purposes here, let me make my point more clearly but if you’d like to get into technical details we could bring this to a more appropriate thread.

I think we agree that FIFO is best — and for that matter Ethernet which tends to use FIFO may be better than USB for this reason. Unclear that USB *at the DAC receiver* does because implementations  are hidden in SoCs. Looking at transmitters (at the PC) won’t help. 

But, for example, if the receiver uses a PLL then reclocking/cleaning the transmitter might actually help. Again, I’d always recommend properly designing the receiver — FPGA implementations make FIFO easy so let’s assume that when FPGA present, they are doing it correctly.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

On 9/25/2017 at 8:48 PM, mourip said:

You might want to avoid the hardware forums. The music forums are a garden in comparison.

Having taken @mourip up on the invitation if anything I've found the opposite is true.  There is much of the raw beauty and greatly varied landscapes of untamed natural spaces in there.    

The hardware forums?  Only rich garden soil could be choked by such a wide variety of noxious plants yet still hold enough nutrients to support a small hardy assortment of desirable growth.  Truly amazing is how easily even the most prickly overgrown weed, bit of a self defense mechanism methinks, can be uprooted from it's shallow bed.  It could be such a nice community garden full of  highly cultivated specimens returning to an unthreatened state.  The tricky part would be making everyone understand you can't cleanse a garden with fire and roses only like a drop or two of blood.  Preferably unscorched and in soil not actively being compressed by a dead body atop it.  

I'd point out all can now safely take me off ignore and please return to extolling your irrepressible logic on self government and fair play.  :)

I think a Methods section would help.

If someone does say something like, "I switched cables and my system sounded MUCH better...", they can fill in specifics of what changed - drums less muffled?  wider soundstage?  less treble glare?

Putting what the system is in a profile and relating what music was listened to will also help.

10 minutes ago, esldude said:

Real snake oil is to charge money for an object or device or process that actually doesn't change the sound while preconditioning the customer to hear what he wants to hear.  Some people are addicted to the feeling they get following such activities.  If they find the price acceptable that is fine, but giving them equal footing in figuring out good audio practices or in denying how things work is not a wise path to take.  

What people choose to believe in, and spend money on, is of course ultimately their problem. However, it irks me when someone asks for advice how to best upgrade their system with a budget of $1000, and the first answer they get is to spend it all on a fancy power cord. That is not helpful. If someone then suggests that new speakers would offer much more of an improvement, the accusations of incivility start flying.

2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

You are a clinician, a neurologist, right?

You, too, would be frustrated if fake nostrums were shilled in your (more important) field?

Beyond that, and beyond consumer protection issues; there is a detriment to society and civilization when the scientific approach to understanding reality is undermined, and idiocy reigns.

A long story but ended up a spine physician including pain medicicne and rehabilitation. I did work in the area of brain impairments and as well in organic brain syndromes neuropsychology / neuropsychiatry.

Fake "nostrums are continuously shilled" as you call it are IMO in my profession arguably more than in audio. I would also say that the stakes a far higher in my profession - health and harm.

Firstly though you have to question what about them you consider "fake". If people believe that doing something makes them feel better who the hell am I to say "Nope,sorry you're delusional" or "its all just placebo". So long as there is no harm I say good for you. Now I am assuming here that a) there is no evidence for their claim and b) they are not substituting their treatment and missing out on what I consider more appropriate treatment.

When treating people in spinal unit sometimes we would get an "hysterical" paraplegic. Much rarer these days I think. A wise psychiatrist taught me " don't challenge their belief systems, give them a reason to get better while saving face". You stiil need to address the psychiatric problems at the root but that kinder approach still resonates

I get the frustration, I really do. But I don't join medical fora and take sarcastic swipes at patients who don't align with my "educated" view and feel the need to ridicule them. I just don't get that - call me weird if you want.

My little narrative describing my experience on CA was a *genuine* synopsis of how I felt. I was confronted by people who were extremely clever and waaaay better at sarcasm than me. They were also very funny, so found myself chuckling sometimes. But at the end of the day it was at "subjectivists" expense and I could not get to enjoy the hobby I joined CA to talk about.

I started striking back,albeit less skilled. At one point I offended/compromised somebody for which I deeply regret. It struck at my own self worth and selfishly this was important to me.

Sound Minds Mind Sound

5 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

If people believe that doing something makes them feel better who the hell am I to say "Nope,sorry you're delusional" or "its all just placebo".

I don't know about you, but the FDA does exactly that.

4 hours ago, vmartell22 said:

we don't "think" it defies science. We know it defies science, and it will be the case until a peer reviewed scientific process proves otherwise.

For "reporting what they hear" that you do not. This is what you conclude as defying science and you know this because....

4 hours ago, vmartell22 said:

Both subjectivists and objectivists will splatter on the ground after a fall. That is gravity. That is the knowledge we obtain from science. It will happen because it is not a belief system; gravity is an objective fact, understood thanks to science. Whether you "believe in science" or not! :D

Sigh

Sound Minds Mind Sound

I'd say a cheap placebo is fine in audio - and I have championed ergonomics and other non-audible aesthetics as valid.  But people need to keep that separate from SQ (to the extent possible given the Oxford cross-sensory labs findings on various sensory input interactions).

32 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

For "reporting what they hear" that you do not. This is what you conclude as defying science and you know this because....

Sigh

That is a misrepresentation in at least some considerable number of cases.  Often under the same conditions we 'hear' the same things.  Like the disappearing magician's elephant all in the audience may experience the 'impossible' event of an elephant going poof! into thin air.  Some may believe in the magic as having accomplished that while others interpret that differently in a way that isn't at odds with physics. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

5 minutes ago, Audiophile Neuroscience said:

Dennis I often agree with a lot of what you say but - it is not pointing out that ethernet cables aren't affecting SQ, it's the way it is pointed out. Typically "delusional" meant and used as a pejorative, contemptuous term. The defense is usually to insist the perceptual process is sacrosanct. "That explaining how your subjective perception was necessarily in error is somehow uncivil" is uncivil, or at least inflammatory, if you are supposed to be having a discussion, not lectured.

Remember, it is typically the "subjectivist" being approached in the first place. They generally didn't invite your criticism and would be quite happy going about their business without it. It seems to me a little tact is required.Is that unreasonable.

There are some subjectivits that will react in a pre-conditioned hostile way. less rather than more if approached civilly.

I am not first in this thread to ask, what would you call it, or what term would be acceptable not to get subjectivists riled up when pointing out their perceived experience is not what they think it is?  Delusion is a loaded term.  Illusion?  What would work?  Any suggestions?

I also know while I prefer being tactful and never look forward to upsetting people, it is tiring to go over the same exact well known issue over and over.  Sometimes I will not care if I upset them.  No it rarely improves matters. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.