"Music IS" - Bill Frisell

71E8x6z-6HL._SL1217_.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

11 minutes ago, rando said:

Killing me lately with all these Naïve releases outside their ongoing Vivaldi Edition.  Are the few of you posting these finding them on a streaming service or purchasing them outright?

Have you listened to this AR Monteverdi release.  @Musicophile?  It is one my favorite albums from recent years and I've posted the live recording of them playing it for ARTE here at least once.

MI0004227480.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

Qobuz has all of them, I purchase only selectively. 

Overal, I’m a big Alessandrini fan and had the pleasure of see him live already playing Vivaldi. 

Haven’t tried the Monteverdi yet, will give it a spin tonight (again, Qobuz). 

On 4/13/2018 at 11:02 PM, Musicophile said:

Rachel Podger just has releases her Four Seasons. 

g7vugi0va1uia_600.jpg

I ended up buying the 24/192 conversion at Qobuz for less than €9 with my Qobuz Sublime discount, but all you DSD junkies out there should get the native version, this an outstanding recording in the usual exceptional Channel Classics sound. They even have a DSD256 5 channel version.

Here's my review: 

https://musicophilesblog.com/2018/04/14/a-new-excellent-four-seasons-recording-by-rachel-podger/

I also bought the download expecting it to be 24/192. But it’s only 24/96, though it sounds fine. Have emailed Qobuz about it but they have not responded so far.

A curious detail: in the streaming version, every movement is in fact only a clip lasting a few seconds, but the sound is way better than the download, even though I’m streaming at 16/44. Weird.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

44 minutes ago, Guidof said:

I also bought the download expecting it to be 24/192. But it’s only 24/96, though it sounds fine. Have emailed Qobuz about it but they have not responded so far.

A curious detail: in the streaming version, every movement is in fact only a clip lasting a few seconds, but the sound is way better than the download, even though I’m streaming at 16/44. Weird.

It’s actually 24/192 but the Qobuz downloader defaults for whatever reason to the 24/96 version. I had the same issue. Just download it again and choose the 24/192 instead. 

2 hours ago, Musicophile said:

It’s actually 24/192 but the Qobuz downloader defaults for whatever reason to the 24/96 version. I had the same issue. Just download it again and choose the 24/192 instead. 

Ah, so. Thank you for the pointer, Musicophile! 

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

9 hours ago, rando said:

[...] They can add as much to a CD as a thickly bound vocal score does to an opera.  A piece of actually being there.

It could be more interactive than just being there. For example, the Album of the Evening March 27, 2017 was chosen by Peter Philips. I asked him which album meant the most to him. He said Arvo Pärt is a close friend. So Tintinnabuli it was. As for thick booklet for opera CD sets, the Naïve Vivaldi Edition is notorious for that. Many of the operas there has no booklet in PDF format at all. So there is no choice but to get the CD boxes. Now Album of the evening:

Joseph Boulogne, Chevalier de Saint-Georges: Violin Concertos, Vol. 2

Qian Zhou, Toronto Camerata, Kevin Mallon

MI0001093784.jpg

Just to clear the air, and hopefully not preempt your preeminent post in "Song of the Day".  Let me officially congratulate you on the 20th Anniversary of Initial D that you are without doubt celebrating.  :)

Last nights album of the evening.  Thought this Portuguese album looked interesting so I picked it up.  The rarest material could very well be a term applied to a bog standard collection of her best work, nowadays (x-D).  Sound was not great.  I'd have done better to buy a DVD of the live televised broadcast from Hamburg partially represented here.  The likes of HDTT and Pristine XR have spoiled me.

71W7fkDSVUL._SL1078_.jpg