From Linn in multiple formats

Markku Luolajan-Mikkola

J.S. Bach: Complete Sonatas

Performed on a Baroque cello.

Bach.jpg

Purists might protest the choice of instruments, but I don't know enough to know better.

His skills are up to the challenge and his cello sounds superb on my humble system.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27364[/ATTACH]

Played that a few nights ago... so many hits on that album and Bobby was a regular on my playlist.

71wMoQhfgxL._SL1102_.jpg

Stepping back into the time machine...

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

From Linn in multiple formats

Markku Luolajan-Mikkola

J.S. Bach: Complete Sonatas

Performed on a Baroque cello.

[...] His skills are up to the challenge [...]

Hmm... Bach's solo violin partitas and sonatas are quite a bit more difficult than the cello suites to start with. Then it's played on an instrument that is significantly less agile than violin. The guy's insane :) In any case, album of the evening:

Jacques de Gallot: Pièces de Luth

Hopkinson Smith

MI0001077867.jpg

Hmm... Bach's solo violin partitas and sonatas are quite a bit more difficult than the cello suites to start with. Then it's played on an instrument that is significantly less agile than violin. The guy's insane :) In any case, album of the evening:

Jacques de Gallot: Pièces de Luth

Hopkinson Smith

MI0001077867.jpg

My thoughts indeed and I didn't know the artist but learned that he's won a Grammy or two and the reviews were largely favorable.

Maria Nockin in Fanfare wrote;

"Some of the passages that require flying fingers from the violinist are even more difficult on the Baroque cello, but his superlative technique overcomes these steep odds. I think he enjoys the challenge of the faster passages while letting the exquisite polish of his artistry come through in the slower, more thoughtful moments. He shapes the musical lines exquisitely and they express thoughts that defy translation into words."

In the end, I liked what I heard and will enjoy this recording as it's artistry reveals itself.

That's a Smith releasee that I don't have, many thanks...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27305[/ATTACH]

Chopin: Etudes. Vigorous, energetic performances by Maurizio Pollini.

The sound, from a 24/96 Qobuz download (remaster), is vivid and clear, but a bit unpleasantly clangy.

I really like Pollinis 2014 Beethoven Opp. 31/49 in 24/96 :)

My album of today is a new buy of the Mendelssohn violin concerto again. This is historical (1944-1960), which again stands for a Heifetz performance second to none - and Pristine Audio XR mastered these masterpieces with great care.

https://www.pristineclassical.com/pasc278.html

Heifetz plays Mendelssohn's Violin Concerto [24_48]

The album consists of three versions of the same concerto:

Recording No. 1 (mono/Ambient Stereo):

NBC Symphony Orchestra

conductor Arturo Toscanini

recorded 9th April, 1944

Recording No. 2 (mono/Ambient Stereo):

Royal Philharmonic Orchestra

conductor Sir Thomas Beecham

recorded 10th June, 1949

Recording No. 3 (Stereo):

Boston Symphony Orchestra

conductor Charles Munch

recorded 23rd February, 1959

ImageUploadedByComputer Audiophile1467405864.800218.jpg

My thoughts indeed and I didn't know the artist but learned that he's won a Grammy or two and the reviews were largely favorable.

Maria Nockin in Fanfare wrote;

"Some of the passages that require flying fingers from the violinist are even more difficult on the Baroque cello, but his superlative technique overcomes these steep odds. I think he enjoys the challenge of the faster passages while letting the exquisite polish of his artistry come through in the slower, more thoughtful moments. He shapes the musical lines exquisitely and they express thoughts that defy translation into words."

In the end, I liked what I heard and will enjoy this recording as it's artistry reveals itself.

Yes, the video for the Grave from Sonata #2

is just exquisite. That's probably the best place for this type of treatment. Also took a quick listen to the sample of Double Preso from Partita #1 on the Linn page. Feels a little funny there. Intonation related? The sample is quite short so really hard to say. But that moment is probably worst case scenario. Haven't listened to sample of the fuges, but from the duration, looks like they're all taken somewhat slow. Those are the real nasties in the set I'm told.

In the end, all these would likely be moot point--I just love oddities. Thanks for pointing out :)

That's a Smith release that I don't have, many thanks...

You're very welcome. Now a different kind of violin music:

Kalyani L. Subramaniam

MI0001706848.jpg

Yes, the video for the Grave from Sonata #2
is just exquisite. That's probably the best place for this type of treatment. Also took a quick listen to the sample of Double Preso from Partita #1 on the Linn page. Feels a little funny there. Intonation related? The sample is quite short so really hard to say. But that moment is probably worst case scenario. Haven't listened to sample of the fuges, but from the duration, looks like they're all taken somewhat slow. Those are the real nasties in the set I'm told.

In the end, all these would likely be moot point--I just love oddities. Thanks for pointing out :)

Your welcome, sharing is caring. Pieces that I'm familiar with can sound odd when heard anew in a different timbre.

As to the pace, I can't fault him for expressing a bit of license with slower tempi given the inherent challenges of this transcription.

As the Fanfare review noted;

"Luolajan-Mikkola's tempos are slow, and anyone who is looking for a fast cello rendition of the violin partitas and sonatas will be disappointed. The beauty of this interpretation is its contemplative spirit."

Brahms: Cello Sonatas - Marie-Elisabeth Hecker - Martin Helmchen

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27389[/ATTACH]

Outstanding. See my review here: https://musicophilesblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/recommended-brahms-cello-sonatas-by-marie-elisabeth-hecker/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

*Very* interesting. Bach and cello are a favorite combination - will definitely be checking this out, thank you.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

Sorry to disappoint potentially, but this is Brahms...

A minor detail! ;) (But seriously, I am still quite excited to check it out.)

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

41Oa-Pac5pL.jpg

Folks before Auto-Tune could sing... I mean really sing.

Powerful vocals, simple arrangements in pop, R&B, soul, etc. make this an outstanding debut.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Outstanding. See my review here: https://musicophilesblog.wordpress.com/2016/07/02/recommended-brahms-cello-sonatas-by-marie-elisabeth-hecker/?iframe=true&theme_preview=true

Oh my! Wonderful. I just can't keep up with your recommendations. Please, please, enough with the great music already!

Regardless of our differing POV on other things, this is ultimately a music site and just want to thank you for turning me on to some great music. As I have said before, I am no aficionado on classical music and find your recommendations superb and one of the highlights of this forum. Loved this one and have already listened to it three times.

Thanks

Last night's SACD listen

Armenian Spirit (Esprit d'Arménie)

Jordi Savall & Hesperion XXI

Armenia.jpg

It had been a long, tiring day and I was tired. Several tracks later I found myself

drifting off and this music took me to delightful foreign lands in my hypnagogic reverie.