This is wild :) Looks like none of the download sites include a booklet. Did you get the CDs?

Downloads for both :( They were much cheaper. I read somewhere that Lucien Kandel wrote a substantial piece for the Ensemble Musica Nova CD booklet. Might be worth the investment. I might check the music library at UW.

Currently listening to "Songs from the Grave". Her voice on this album does remind me of Toyah (which can mean "you have to get used to it:-)).

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27604[/ATTACH]

I actually like music that requires to getting used to. It usually

grows on you! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

61U-TCubdsL._SL1106_.jpg

Kind of old and haven't heard either Phil or Genesis in a long time, but this album is a good example of what made Collins and Genesis so popular. Everything is here from love ballads, general pop, and even social commentary on Another Day in Paradise... all of which make But Seriously an excellent album for any evening.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Roy Nathanson

Sotto Voce

https://www.amazon.com/Sotto-Voce-Roy-Nathanson/dp/B000F9RLU8

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27627[/ATTACH]

Different, great music and very well recorded. One of my favorites.

Thanks for the recommendation. The music IS different; the enthusiasm of the performers borders on maniacal (the good kind of maniacal). And it is a good recording, most appealing to me being lots of bass that adds solidity and stays this side of muddy, which I always appreciate. Although it does sound like an artificial studio-created space rather than a live performance space, with vocals pushed way front-and-center. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Johannes OCKEGHEM. Missa Prolationum / The Clerks' Group, Edward Wickham

"Ockeghem's Missa Prolationum may be the greatest exercise in contrapuntal virtuosity anywhere in the European Renaissance." ( Missa prolationum, for 4 voices | Details | AllMusic

I haven't found a favorite recording of this mass after listening to 5 recordings.

51tmS6Ts2lL (1).jpg

Johannes OCKEGHEM. Missa Prolationum / The Clerks' Group

Great pop/rock music. Semi-forgotten band that was fantastic.

folder.jpg

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Thanks for the recommendation. The music IS different; the enthusiasm of the performers borders on maniacal (the good kind of maniacal). And it is a good recording, most appealing to me being lots of bass that adds solidity and stays this side of muddy, which I always appreciate. Although it does sound like an artificial studio-created space rather than a live performance space, with vocals pushed way front-and-center. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Yeah he IS different. I am glad you liked it. I got turned on to him years ago in NY and then lost any ties to him until someone recommended that album and I woke up and realized, I know that guy. I thoroughly enjoy him and his crazy ways.

Bach: Keyboard Partitas Nos. 1-6

Sergey Schepkin

356756.jpg

Steinway continues its series of exquisitely recorded piano music with this punchy and assertive performance by Sergey Schepkin, who has at least one other (pseudo-) Bach recording on this label (French Suites). The playing is idiosyncratic and might not match everyone's tastes, but it is at least worth a listen, and the recording quality should satisfy anyone.

61TRjpLGAPL._SL1500_.jpg

Singer, songwriter, and guitarist - Nils Lofgren delivers in all departments in this comprehensive career retrospective.

Great music from an accomplished musician.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Roy Heaton Smith: Opening the Door

MI0004077486.jpg

Some ignored or undiscovered music here by a British composer of the 20th Century about whom I, for one, had not heard before (it was pushed out on ClassicsOnline as a new recording of interest). Of particular interest is the fourth track, A Suite of Variations, Op. 37 for viola and piano. This piece should be listened to often and by everyone. The rest of the two-disc set contains a mish-mosh of compositions, some light-weight but pleasant, some too heavy and pretentious. But that Suite of Variations is a real masterpiece. Glad I found it.

https://www.amazon.com/Sotto-Voce-Ro.../dp/B000F9RLU8

Liked the album a lot. I enjoy bands that cross musical boundaries, yet manage to integrate different styles into something that doesn't sound like it is a hodgepodge. Quite good.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

Latino Ladino: Songs of Exile & Passion

Yaniv d'Or, countertenor

Amit Tiefenbrunn, viola da gamba & violone

Barrocade and Ensemble NAYA

747313356676.jpg

Spanish music of the New World and other places that are not Spain; the music of religious exiles. Music that is at turns exhilarating and contemplative, sometimes celebratory and sometimes mournful, but never maudlin. Fantastic singing from countertenor Yaniv d'Or. He's going to be a superstar, if he's not already. Lots to explore and enjoy here. The recording quality is high, as well; expertly balanced, with voice rising just enough above the fray while still sounding like a live performance in a real space. I listened to it streaming in CD quality at ClassicsOnline.

I've started to regularly listen to Sufjan Stevens only in the past year or so.

"Carrie & Lowell" breaks my heart and moves deep into my soul every time I listen to it.

carrie_lowell.jpg

So, I need to listen to more of Mr. Stevens...and Illinoise wlll be next.

Sufjan Stevens - Illinois

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27680[/ATTACH]

Love this album.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Music is love, made audible.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"Carrie & Lowell" breaks my heart and moves deep into my soul every time I listen to it.

carrie_lowell.jpg

Surfjan Stevens album is one of my favorits as well. Amazing album! :)

🎛️  Audio System  

carrie_lowell.jpg

Yes, Carrie and Lowell is a beautiful album too. You can buy his albums on Bandcamp, as well as other outlets, but with Bandcamp, he gets most of the proceeds.

Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted.

- Einstein