...Interesting stuff... Now back to Album of the Evening:

Heavenly Spheres

Studio de musique ancienne de Montréal, Christopher Jackson

MI0001001614.jpg

Thanks for the notes on Taverner and for the reference to the Montreal ensemble---they are new to me.

Back to the Missae L'homme Arme, saving the best for last:

The Tallis Scholars Sing Josquin, disc 2:

Missa "L'homme armé" sexti toni

Missa "L'homme armé" super voces musicales

Both are excellent! If I could choose only one L'homme arme recording out of all the different masses inspired by this tradition, this would be it.

619i4lhXsKL.jpg

Another recording of the same 2 masses that sounds quite different but is also great:

Desprez: Messes de L'Homme Arme

A Sei Voci

51jHf0mo5cL.jpg

Both highly recommended, available on Tidal, and inexpensive to downoad (Gimell site for Tallis Scholars, Qobuz for A Sei Voci)

Bach: Cantatas vol. 34 - Suzuki

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27136[/ATTACH]

Ha, Wie schön leuchtet der Morgenstern interpreted by Suzuki and his band is a favourite of mine. So beautiful and, just, perfect.

Back on topic, in a completely different, actually volcanic style: Jon Leifs' Hekla

4433662-origpic-79369b.jpg

Bach: Goldberg Variations, arranged for String Trio

28947763789.jpg

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

Thanks for the notes on Taverner and for the reference to the Montreal ensemble---they are new to me.

You're welcome. Got my CD copy way back when I was working across the street from the CBC building in Toronto downtown. Back then, there was still a CBC store selling CBC stuff. The place is long gone now...

Back to the Missae L'homme Arme, saving the best for last:

The Tallis Scholars Sing Josquin, disc 2:

[...]

Another recording of the same 2 masses that sounds quite different but is also great:

Desprez: Messes de L'Homme Arme

A Sei Voci

I'd imagine the Tallis Scholars would be excellent. The second one was Album of the Evening May 18, 2014. Great stuff. In any case, Album of the Evening:

Dangerous Graces: Music by Cipriano de Rore and his pupils

Musica Secreta

MI0001083153.jpg

Italian madrigals by renaissance composer Cipriano de Rore and his students, adapted for female vocal ensemble by transposing lower voices up or substituting with instruments.

cover.jpg

Schubert: String Quintet D.956, Quartettsatz D.703. Beautifully played by the Tokyo Quartet + David Watkin (cello).

Excellent sound from a DSD highresaudio.com download.

For my system details, please see my profile. Thank you.

Giovanni Pierluigi da Palestrina, Vol. 6

Palestrina / The Sixteen / Harry Christophers

This album includes the best recording of Palestrina's Missa L'homme arme available. It's easy to listen to this one, although it is more complex than most Palestrina masses. It has a light, calm, elegant feel, and some lovely cascading passages. I personally found Josquin's L'homme arme masses more compelling. 24/96 download from CORO. Available on Tidal.

61rmD7L95NL.jpg

From Linn in multiple formats:

Phantasm

Dowland: Lachrimae or Seven Tears

Phantasm.png

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Josquin Desprez: Messe Ave Maris Stella, Motets à la Vierge

A Sei Voci

Thanks again for introducing me to A Sei Voci's Josquin recordings.

Phantasm

Thanks. New release. Worth looking into.

CAPUT:

Johannes Ockeghem

Graindelavoix/ Björn Schmelzer

Missa Caput & Parisian machicotage from the Mandatum Ritual

1 mandatum novum

2 kyrie

3 diligamus nos invicem

4 gloria

5 in diebus illis

6 credo

7 maria ergo

8 sanctus

9 vos vocatis me

10 agnus dei

11 venit ad petrum

41gyrBuEQTL.jpg

CAPUTÂ*Johannes Ockeghem. Graindelavoix,Â*Björn Schmelzer

Phantasm

From christopher3393

"Thanks. New release. Worth looking into."

To christopher3393

You're most welcome, pleased to share...

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

71g5IP9PxYL._SL1428_.jpg

61IeCixjIZL._SL1002_.jpg

Completes my Rihanna discography.

Quite a "learning" experience for me... not just listening to the music, but also reading up on the artist.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks again for introducing me to A Sei Voci's Josquin recordings.

Actually you're the one that prompted me to dig through my A Sei Voce stuff. Thanks :)

Phantasm

Inspired by that:

Jan Pieterszoon Sweelinck: Fortune my foe - Works for harpsichord

Alina Rotaru

MI0003038851.jpg

Includes Sweelinck's take on Lachrimae and Fortune my foe, and the famous Fantasia Chromatica.

Ashes and Dust

Warren Haynes with Railroad Earth.

Different from his earlier work with Gov't Mule.

Much more to my taste.

Folder.jpg

Julia Hülsmann Trio: Imprint

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27223[/ATTACH]

Excellent trio jazz, well recorded. See also my review here: https://musicophilesblog.com/2016/06/25/recommended-julia-hulsmann-trio-imprint/

Thanks for this, I'm listening now.

Indeed, this is the golden age of the Jazz piano trio.