endBeginning New York Polyphony

4679076-origpic-51e472.jpg_0_0_100_100_250_250_0.jpg

An album mostly of music concerned with death by Franco-Flemish Renaissance masters. The last piece is a modern setting of Guillaume de Machaut's Ma fin est mon commencement. The lyric alternates between the original French text and the English translation My end is my beginning. Strange and haunting.

Inspired by the above:

Tallis Scholars sing Palestrina The Tallis Scholars

MI0001099635.jpg

Listened to CD2 which contains Missa Papae Marcelli. New York Polyphony is essentially a One-voice-per-part outfit. Tallis Scholars is bring much bigger force to bear in their version.

I have this as well, it's my only other recording of Missa Papae Marcelli. I have to give it another listen - something to be said for both approaches.

As with most music, I need to be in a receptive frame of mind for a style or genre. When I'm in a 16th century groove, I'll give it another go.

Thanks for the comment.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

I'm not generally that much into late 20th century classical music, but Lutoslawski is really great.

0002894795012_600.jpg

Quite well recorded 24/96 from Qobuz, currently significantly reduced (see also here: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f13-music-downloads-and-streaming/special-discount-some-great-dg-highres-albums-qobuz-28871/#post551663)

coda.jpg

Completes my discography of all studio albums by Led Zeppelin. Coda is probably their weakest album, not surprising as it was missing John Bonham and most of the material was culled from outtakes, bootlegs, etc.

Led Zeppelin however remains one of the greatest bands of all time, and one of my faves. Honestly a band that you cannot find much wrong with, unless its the very fact they are way too heavy and hard with their music. Their music is certainly not for everyone, but folks willing to tip their toes into the Led Zeppelin pond will come away with an understanding (and maybe even appreciation) for hard rock and heavy metal music... long before there even existed such music or the genre(s) was even invented.

Some of the best music ever coming from truly gifted musicians and well worth digging deep into.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Guillaume Dufay: Missa Se la face ay pale

Diabolus in Musica/Guerber

Early Renaissance polyphony by one of the greatest 15th century composers. It still retains some medieval flavor but with modification and creative additions as well.

Solid performance by a reliable ensemble in continental vocal style. I find this much more palatable than the Binchois Consort recording for Hyperion, or any of the older recordings. If you don't like this performance, your other good options are the new Cut Circle release or Cantica Symphonia's 2014 offering. Cut Circle's recording is close-miked, and a little more dramatic with more distinctive individual voices. Cantica Symphonia's includes instruments. The sackbutts won't be to everyone's taste. So with the Diabolus performance, it is a little easier to just follow the vocal polyphony. The whole album is a restored complete musical setting for this Mass, which was one of the first to be composed around a secular song setting (written by Dufay 20 years prior to the Mass).

71iHzDndASL._SL1087_.jpg

Here's the Cantus Symphonia cover:

71ro9n3a1LL._SL1500_.jpg

I mentioned the Cut Circle double album earlier in this thread (post #10359).

815xKGCzEAL._SL1500_.jpg

71NWKFwcMEL._SL1118_.jpg

Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits 2 from Bob Seger.

Double dose of rock/heartland rock though one could argue Bob Seger has more hits than can be fit into one album or CD.

Excellent music from one of the earliest proponents of roots rock, both the albums contain all the major hits from the 70s and 80s, making this a must have for anyone into the genre or even wanting a casual introduction to Bob Seger and his music.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Dufay, Oxford Camerata, Jeremy Summerly ‎– Missa L'Homme Armé (Supremum Est Mortalibus Bonum)

"L'homme armé" is a French secular song from the Renaissance. It was the most popular tune used for musical settings of the Mass: dozens of compositions entitled Missa L'homme armé survive from the Renaissance. A handful of them stand out and Dufay's is one of them. This remains my favorite recording of this Mass, although the sound is just a little veiled. The recording includes one of Dufay's best and most musically sophisticated motets, "Supremum Est Mortalibus Bonum".

“ Dufay twists and disguises the [song] melody, altering it, ornamenting it, and subjecting it to a dazzling array of compositional permutations… Dufay's clever gambit certainly sparked a tradition of competition and compositional challenge in the nascent family of L'homme armé mass settings. –Timothy Dickey

51JPfQjH1zL.jpg

Guillaume Dufay: Missa Se la face ay pale

Diabolus in Musica/Guerber

Holy cow, you're really on a roll now :) Should have this one somewhere in the house. See if I can find it :) In any case, album of the evening:

A Solo Paolo Pandolfo

MI0001047586.jpg

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26955[/ATTACH]

via Tidal

very nice! good night time listening.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
This was my night cap, a new to me artist

Special Edition of a 2012 release

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26964[/ATTACH]

via Tidal

also very nice! thanks!

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
[ATTACH=CONFIG]27004[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27005[/ATTACH]

Greatest Hits and Greatest Hits 2 from Bob Seger.

Double dose of rock/heartland rock though one could argue Bob Seger has more hits than can be fit into one album or CD.

Excellent music from one of the earliest proponents of roots rock, both the albums contain all the major hits from the 70s and 80s, making this a must have for anyone into the genre or even wanting a casual introduction to Bob Seger and his music.

Seger is good stuff for sure. One of those guys that I never get tired of hearing

Mussorgsky, Rachmaninoff & Makris: Orchestral Works (Highlights)

London Symphony Orchestra

Predrag Gosta conducting

londonsymphonyorchestra28.jpg

An intense, in-your-face performance. Real dedication here. Worth a listen, and maybe it will entice you to purchase the whole set. Use this one to show off your stereo to your family and friends, while also reserving some time to just enjoy listening yourself. I listened to this highlights set streaming on ClassicsOnline.

Rory Gallagher, before going solo.

41Nvo4ezNoL.jpg

Taste - Taste

71L0GN+Bz6L._SL1155_.jpg

Taste - On The Boards

Not much of a singer, but the man could play the guitar and at a blistering pace.

Holy cow, you're really on a roll now :) Should have this one somewhere in the house. See if I can find it :) In any case, album of the evening:

A Solo Paolo Pandolfo

MI0001047586.jpg

Thanks for the Pandolfo reminder. He's a real virtuoso, isn't he? And, yeah, I'm a little obsessed ;)

Here are 2 recordings of selections from 6 L'homme arme masses that might have started the tradition. Many think that Antoine Busnoys, a student of Dufay's, wrote the 6 anonymous masses. He did write one that is certainly his and he likely wrote it before Dufay, but that is a different album for another day. Both 6 mass recordings are good and have mostly different selections from the Masses. Each has a different approach to performance. I'm no expert, but I don't think they are necessary for understanding/appreciating the more celebrated L'homme arme masses.

L’HOMME ARMÉ:

Six masses attributed to Antoine Busnois,

Naples, Biblioteca Nazionale

Cantica Symphonia

Giuseppe Maletto

71y9aCNb+VL._SL1287_.jpg

La Dissection d'un Homme Armé: Six Masses After a Burgundian Song

Van Nevel, Huelgas Ensemble

6port578.jpg

81DKixHwGmL._SL1500_.jpg

The guy (Rory Gallagher) could play them guitars. Hectic, blistering pace, and pretty much wielded like one would handle an axe, this is rock and blues performance high on octane.

Probably the best introduction to Rory Gallagher, but even otherwise excellent recording and excellent music make this a wonderful album to own.