Ockeghem/De La Rue: Requiem

Cappella Pratensis

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27679[/ATTACH]

Got this earlier in the year, very nice album - though I prefer their Missa Ave Maris.

Wish they'd record more :-)

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Newest album from BIS records in 24/96 native resolution. Superb sound of Vadim's strad violin and almost magical performance conducted by Neeme Jarvi.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27677[/ATTACH]

I didn't check this thread yesterday and am glad I caught up before posting.

I was about to post the same album. Got it in 24 bit for less than $10 from eClassical.

Both the artist and the work are new in my library.

Proko.jpg

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

Got this earlier in the year, very nice album - though I prefer their Missa Ave Maris.

Wish they'd record more :-)

Interesting. Cappella Pratensis sings the Ockeghem Requiem lower and slower than most. Next week, 5 recordings of Josquin's Missa Ave Maris Stella are in the queue, including Cappella Pratensis.

And your wish has been granted:

Pierre de La Rue

Cappella Pratensis

Visions of Joy | The Chapel of Hieronymus Bosch

91C0zFMJwTL._SL1500_.jpg

It's the 500th anniversary of this wonderful artist's death, so, lots of tributes.

Here's the connection:

"Music clearly fascinated the great Dutch artist Hieronymus Bosch (c.1450-1516); his sketches and paintings are peppered with closely observed depictions of music-making and musical instruments. Bosch, a native of ’s-Hertogenbosch in the Duchy of Brabant, was a life-long brother of the city’s Brotherhood of Our Illustrious Lady, a large and prestigious organization for which sacred music was an essential and highly-valued part of its devotional life. Every Wednesday Bosch could gather with his Confraternity brothers in their opulent chapel in the church of St. John the Evangelist to celebrate a votive Mass in honour of the Blessed Virgin. This recording aims to capture a sense of the devotional soundscape that Bosch experienced throughout his life as a member of this music-loving Marian brotherhood. Instead of the frightening cacophony conjured by the artist’s vision of Hell, we encounter here the joy and serenity of the weekly Marian votive Mass liturgy. We have chosen the Missa Cum jocunditate by Pierre de la Rue (c.1452-1518), who was not only the most renowned composer of the Habsburg-Burgundian court but also an external member of the brotherhood from the early 1490s until his death in 1518. Indeed, La Rue may well have had occasion to meet Bosch during these years. Cappella Pratensis sings from the original notation, reading from scale copies of the confraternity’s manuscripts of plainsong and polyphony, and adopts the Brabant pronunciation of Latin those singers surely employed. They also read together from one large music book, like the men portrayed in the Singers in the Egg sketch attributed to Bosch."

Concert_in_the_Egg.jpg

Interesting. Cappella Pratensis sings the Ockeghem Requiem lower and slower than most. Next week, 5 recordings of Josquin's Missa Ave Maris Stella are in the queue, including Cappella Pratensis.

And your wish has been granted:

Pierre de La Rue

Cappella Pratensis

Visions of Joy | The Chapel of Hieronymus Bosch

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27688[/ATTACH]

It's the 500th anniversary of this wonderful artist's death, so, lots of tributes.

Here's the connection:

"Music clearly fascinated the great Dutch artist Hieronymus Bosch (c.1450-1516); his sketches and paintings are peppered with closely observed depictions of music-making and musical instruments. Bosch, a native of ’s-Hertogenbosch in the Duchy of Brabant, was a life-long brother of the city’s Brotherhood of Our Illustrious Lady, a large and prestigious organization for which sacred music was an essential and highly-valued part of its devotional life. Every Wednesday Bosch could gather with his Confraternity brothers in their opulent chapel in the church of St. John the Evangelist to celebrate a votive Mass in honour of the Blessed Virgin. This recording aims to capture a sense of the devotional soundscape that Bosch experienced throughout his life as a member of this music-loving Marian brotherhood. Instead of the frightening cacophony conjured by the artist’s vision of Hell, we encounter here the joy and serenity of the weekly Marian votive Mass liturgy. We have chosen the Missa Cum jocunditate by Pierre de la Rue (c.1452-1518), who was not only the most renowned composer of the Habsburg-Burgundian court but also an external member of the brotherhood from the early 1490s until his death in 1518. Indeed, La Rue may well have had occasion to meet Bosch during these years. Cappella Pratensis sings from the original notation, reading from scale copies of the confraternity’s manuscripts of plainsong and polyphony, and adopts the Brabant pronunciation of Latin those singers surely employed. They also read together from one large music book, like the men portrayed in the Singers in the Egg sketch attributed to Bosch."

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27689[/ATTACH]

Sweet! Thanks for the pointer. Will be getting it.

Great that they're on SACD.

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Pieter Wispelwey - J. S. Bach: Gamba Sonatas, Riddle Preludes, Baroque Perpetua

folder.jpg

[...] "Do fathers always know more than sons?" and the father said, "yes". The next question was, "Daddy, who invented the steam engine?" and the father said, "James Watt." And then the son came back with "- but why didn't James Watt's father invent it?"

Gregory Bateson

Steps to an Ecology of Mind (...)

Solemn music for a somber week

Folder.jpg

From Linn Records in multiple formats.

Primary System: HTPC (Win 10, 64) > Synology DS212j > JRiver MC 22 > Uptone Audio Regen Amber > Schiit Bifrost Uber 4490 > Marantz SR7010 with Marantz UD5005 > Aperion Intimus 6Bs (LR) + Intimus 5C + 4 Intimus 4BPs (Surround) + 2 Bravus 12s - Display: Samsung 55" KS9000 - Headphones: AKG Q701.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27704[/ATTACH]

I don't have this but noticed I missed his latest release.

Thanks for jogging my attention to this artist.

The Happiest Man In The World

Happy.jpg

I did not know about the new release either, will add that to my list.

And still another I need to acquire...

Gold.jpg

Bacevicius: Orchestral Music

61x9ZT-w7JL.jpg

I listened to this last night, fell in love with it, and listened to it again today. What a find! Suggested by ClassicsOnline in their "Discover the Music of the Baltic States" promo that showed up a few days ago.

Never heard of this guy? Me either.

Here is what the 5-star review at AllMusic has to say, in relevant part: "Vytautas Bacevicius is generally considered a Lithuanian composer, but made his career -- if you can call it that -- in the United States. Bacevicius was concerned with "cosmic music," though not that of outer, but inner space, the cosmos as contained within the spiritual dimension of a person. Bacevicius was an intensely complex person whose impoverished life was spent in obscurity and wholly devoted to his music, the vast majority of which was never heard during his lifetime."

And:

"Bacevicius: Orchestral Music will knock the socks off listeners who enjoy meaty contemporary music that is neither tame nor too cold and formally arch -- too bad Frank Zappa didn't live to hear this composer."

I don't have this but noticed I missed his latest release.

Thanks for jogging my attention to this artist.

The Happiest Man In The World

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27778[/ATTACH]

I did not know about the new release either, will add that to my list.

And still another I need to acquire...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27779[/ATTACH]

Thanks for the updates... wasn't aware myself.

Love Mr. Bibb... dreamy, soothing vocals, and can he play the guitar.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Thanks for the updates... wasn't aware myself.

Love Mr. Bibb... dreamy, soothing vocals, and can he play the guitar.

I'm a fan of Eric Bibb. I have seen him perform live, and have about 10 of his CD's. Some of his CD's are mastered poorly. I would be especially careful with purchasing his new CD's. The last one I bought, Blues People (2014), was brickwalled so badly that it was unlistenable.

The ones that I have with good SQ/DR include:

Blues, Ballads, & Work Songs

Booker's Guitar

Good Stuff

Spirit & The Blues

Twelve Gates to the City

An Evening With Eric Bibb

[...] The "Ave Maria a 4", a.k.a. "Ave Maria...Virgo serena" is special, often considered Josquin's greatest work, a classic.

Yes. That was 1st track of album of the evening for June 6. A quick peek at the score will show just how sophisticated it is. Amazing.

Album of this evening:

琴道 (Way of Qin) 李祥霆

41ErfO1vzFL._SL300_.jpg

I'm a fan of Eric Bibb. I have seen him perform live, and have about 10 of his CD's. Some of his CD's are mastered poorly. I would be especially careful with purchasing his new CD's. The last one I bought, Blues People (2014), was brickwalled so badly that it was unlistenable.

The ones that I have with good SQ/DR include:

Blues, Ballads, & Work Songs

Booker's Guitar

Good Stuff

Spirit & The Blues

Twelve Gates to the City

An Evening With Eric Bibb

Updating this post-

I went ahead and bought Eric Bibb's two most recent albums, despite the "Blues People" debacle: "Lead Belly's Gold", and "The Happiest Man In The World", and I'm pleased to report that both have good SQ. So, a thumb's up for these two albums.

Updating this post-

I went ahead and bought Eric Bibb's two most recent albums, despite the "Blues People" debacle: "Lead Belly's Gold", and "The Happiest Man In The World", and I'm pleased to report that both have good SQ. So, a thumb's up for these two albums.

Thanks. Good to know... but was planning on it anyways.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther