"Machaut’s exquisite Messe de Notre Dame is a highly advanced and visionary composition, surely his crowning achievement in music. For the first time, as far as we know, a composer brought together all parts of the Ordinary of the Mass (Kyrie, Gloria, Credo, Sanctus, Agnus Dei,and Ite Missa Est) into a single work in six movements, composed in polyphony. In the broadest conceptual sense, therefore, the Mass stands both as a summa of previous attempts to unite one or more parts of the Ordinary, and as a precursor to the scores of polyphonic Masses that survive from the fifteenth century and beyond. For its sheer innovativeness in these and other areas, the Mass certainly merits the special place that it holds in the history of music."

Thus sprach Anne Walters Robertson, "Claire Dux Swift Distinguished Service Professor of Music and the Humanities in the College; Chair, Department of Music", University of Chicago. That's a big title!

Gramophone gave a new recording of this Mass an Editors Choice: “A new recording of Machaut’s Mass is always an event, and this one is compelling and provocative in equal measure: compelling, because of the beauty of the voices and the evident care that has been lavished on so many details; provocative, because so many of those details will surprise, startle and perhaps infuriate.” Gramophone Magazine, June 2016

However Early Music review said: " Much of the account of the Mass is quite unpleasant to listen to, not because of the shock of Schmelzer’s iconoclastic approach but because the voices slide around randomly and aren’t always in tune when they settle; they rarely blend; and ultimately for me the recording seems to have priorities other than the pursuit of historical authenticity – indeed it seems at times to have the tiresomely adolescent aim of ‘seeing what it can get away with’. On a purely practical level, I find it very hard to believe that Machaut’s employers, who we know surrounded themselves with the ultimate in precise sophistication and refinement such as Machaut’s own Louange des Dames and Livre de Voir Dit, would have tolerated for one moment this sort of musically permissive approach in their church music. If, like me, you are generally instinctively drawn to Graindelavoix’s performances, you should probably give this recording a try, but I can’t help feeling that it adds little to Pérès’ account, which is as near the knuckle as I personally would care to go."

One could say: "Who cares?" with littler risk. But I'll leave it to you:

GCD_P32110_HD.jpg

Reims Cathedral, extraordinary:

ReimsCathedral-01s.jpg

Reims_ND3_tango7174.jpg

GCD_P32110_HD.jpg

ReimsCathedral0116 (1).jpg

81VcA8-kuZL._SL1500_.jpg

Kendrick Lamar - To Pimp a Butterfly

Kind of late to the party, having never heard Kendrick Lamar, the album does not disappoint despite going in with all the hype and expectation.

Full of energy and opinions, Lamar does hold your attention to the very end with enough tempo, beats, and rhythm to last 2 albums... but all crammed into one.

Next to Macklemore, Lamar is one rapper/hip hop artist you need to check out.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

Catching up on all studio albums by Led Zeppelin...

MI0000919289.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

081227957940.jpeg

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

Led_Zeppelin_-_Presence.jpg

Led Zeppelin - Presence

cover_5639181182009.jpg

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther

jpg.png

Beautiful music by my friend, Robert Silverman, who celebrates his 50th wedding anniversary on Sunday. Congratulations, Bob and Ellie!

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Another in the Renaissance genre

Roma Aterna – Two Roman Masses

New York Polyphony from eClassical

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26767[/ATTACH]

Inspired by the above:

Tallis Scholars sing Palestrina The Tallis Scholars

MI0001099635.jpg

Listened to CD2 which contains Missa Papae Marcelli. New York Polyphony is essentially a One-voice-per-part outfit. Tallis Scholars is bring much bigger force to bear in their version.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26721[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Led Zeppelin I.

Certainly worthy of the title "the heaviest band of all time", its heavy, its hard, its grabs you from the very first track and it does not let up or let you go. Well maybe a little too heavy for some folks, but Led Zeppelin warrants critical listening by everyone at least once. For their first album, Led Zeppelin I is very surprising. There is none of the rawness or we have to find our sound... the band looks set and plays with aplomb... like they've already had half a dozen records under their belt. Amazing when you consider it's their first album. Page and Plant are the loudest, but Bonham holds them to a tempo, and Jones ties everything together nicely to a tune. Some of the best "heaviest" music of all time.

Super album that's a must in any collection... especially when you consider the fact its a debut album.

Catching up on all studio albums by Led Zeppelin...

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26852[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Houses of the Holy

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26853[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Physical Graffiti

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26854[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - Presence

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26855[/ATTACH]

Led Zeppelin - In Through the Out Door

Oh yeah :-)

Let every eye ear negotiate for itself and trust no agent. (Shakespeare)

The things that we love tell us what we are. (Aquinas)

Fantastic album from old, good times by ECM and Dave Holland Quintet! Avant-Garde jazz so called, but very "eatable" and very well recorded.

41FIAd5AwnL.jpg

The Razor's Edge | Dave Holland Quintet – Télécharger et écouter l'album

--

Krzysztof Maj

http://mkrzych.wordpress.com/

"Music is the highest form of art. It is also the most noble. It is human emotion, captured, crystallised, encased… and then passed on to others." - By Ken Ishiwata

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26913[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26914[/ATTACH]

Bringing back the memories. Journey and Steve Perry were a regular for a very looong time.

Loved the movie (cliche I know), but must have seen it countless times and ditto for the soundtrack. Swayze was the cool dude when I was a kid with movies like this one and Ghost and also Point Break.

Another in the Renaissance genre

Roma Aterna – Two Roman Masses

New York Polyphony from eClassical

[ATTACH=CONFIG]26767[/ATTACH]

Inspired by the above:

Tallis Scholars sing Palestrina The Tallis Scholars

MI0001099635.jpg

Listened to CD2 which contains Missa Papae Marcelli. New York Polyphony is essentially a One-voice-per-part outfit. Tallis Scholars is bring much bigger force to bear in their version.

...inspired by these, have been listening for the past several evenings to:

the Tallis Scholars most recent recording of Allegri's Miserere and Palastrina's Missa Papae Marcelli, available in hi-res

51AO2bnt3pL.jpg

and another favorite recording of Palestrina's Missa Papae Marcelli by Wilfried Rombach and Ensemble Officium on SACD

51C0+KUxXeL.jpg

Finally, a surprisingly good performance of this Mass by Ensemble Odhecaton that I just discovered, redbook

517liiYhQ+L.jpg