Just now, hopkins said:

By provibd useful content, or by reacting to a personal attack? 

Get off my back please... 

To you, it’s all a personal attack and you must have the last word. Can’t you just post an album in the album of the evening thread? Nobody is keeping score. You can let some posts go. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

6 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

To you, it’s all a personal attack and you must have the last word. Can’t you just post an album in the album of the evening thread? Nobody is keeping score. You can let some posts go. 

Funny you say this when you seem to make it a point to upvote these types of comments. 

You can have your last word now. 

I have posted many albums in this thread. 

1 hour ago, AnotherSpin said:

Would love to hear Yuja Wang here.

Ditto, for Rach 3 or anything else.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

9 hours ago, Jud said:

Ditto, for Rach 3 or anything else.

It seems Rachmaninov 3rd and Yuja Wang are just perfect for each other. Not so sure about the music of Bach or Haydn, though. But in any case, everything she does is interesting. Too bad I don't listen to a lot of contemporary music, many people say that Juja is just incomparable here.

A 30min explanation of Rach3 by Garrick Ohlsson (ex Warsaw Chopin Competition winner). Helps to understand the ways pianists approach it.

https://youtu.be/owfrXIaIwz4

But if you want how it was played during Rachmaninov's time, one has to go back to the past and hear some of the 1930-40s Vladimir Horowitz's versions when they were contemporaries. It's played much faster than by today's pianists. 

2 hours ago, flkin said:

A 30min explanation of Rach3 by Garrick Ohlsson (ex Warsaw Chopin Competition winner). Helps to understand the ways pianists approach it.

https://youtu.be/owfrXIaIwz4

But if you want how it was played during Rachmaninov's time, one has to go back to the past and hear some of the 1930-40s Vladimir Horowitz's versions when they were contemporaries. It's played much faster than by today's pianists. 

If we want to know how Rachmaninov's 3rd Concerto "should" be played, we need not ask Horowitz, who himself, among other things, has never been known as a follower of orders or rules. There are recordings of Rachmaninov playing his own concertos. Oddly enough, few people see them as reference performances.

The fourth installment is released, listening to no. II at the moment. Bought the albums (the deluxe lp-version ($ 170) is already sold out before the release, so I settled for the 24/192 Qobuz release 🙃). " Black gold" has a different meaning these days...

large_cover.png.37dfb4292e62621d14a64105870f9cf9.png

On 8/25/2022 at 11:05 PM, Iving said:

Don't think this has been posted recently. At this time I have 2 different CDs only. No vinyl - notwithstanding thorough recent research.

Primary

Try the hi-res mono from 2013 (I think that's the year) I've recently re-evaluated and decided I like that one the best. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)