IGNORED

Article: The Audio Impact of Solar Panels and Battery Backup: Introduction, Installation & Initial Listen

Cool writeup.  

Different topic but would be interested in what made the decision to go with Tesla.

Luckily I live in Williamson county (surrounded by Austin/Cedar Park) and will not have to deal with city utilities when we decide to go the solar route.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

33 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Cool writeup.  

Different topic but would be interested in what made the decision to go with Tesla.

One word: cost. Tesla was by far the cheapest. The bids from local solar contractors were all at least $10k higher. 

33 minutes ago, jcbenten said:

Luckily I live in Williamson county (surrounded by Austin/Cedar Park) and will not have to deal with city utilities when we decide to go the solar route.

Howdy neighbor!

I just heard back from my project advisor at Tesla that they don't have any "publicly available" THD spec for the PowerWall. 9_9

However, I did hear from a user on Reddit, who compared his grid and PW output on a 'scope, and made a video. Interesting waveforms!

https://www.reddit.com/r/TeslaSolar/comments/qh2m4s/comment/hj01mma/?utm_source=share&utm_medium=web2x&context=3

Fascinating, and informative. Thank you! Apropos of nothing, I personally don't find the idea of 5% or 10% to be meaningful while I can see the conceptual appeal. I think it really actually discourages people from discovering how GREAT that 5% really is.

Often, that "5%" is EXACTLY what I am paying $$$ to get because that "x%" is exactly the increase in realism or detail or <fill in your favorite audio attribute> one can hear but that neither words, nor numbers, can realistically do justice to. The resulting emotional engagement is, or is not, greater.

Anyway, keep on exploring the margin, austinpop! More 5%! Thanks again.

Sum>Frankenstein: JPlay/Audirvana/iTunes, Uptone EtherRegen+LPS-1.2, Rivo Streamer+Uptone JS-2, Schiit Yggdrasil LiM+Shunyata Delta XC, Linn LP12/Hercules II/Ittok/Denon DL-103R, ModWright LS 100, Pass XA25, Tellurium Black II, Monitor Audio Silver 500 on IsoAcoustics Gaias, Shunyata Delta XC, Transparent Audio, P12 power regenerator, and positive room attributes.

Congrats Rajiv on the solar install. I looked into doing the same thing but due to the topography where we live in PA, we would get little to no power using solar in the winter and not enough in the summer to make it worthwhile. Even Tesla told us not to do it. As for Mr. Fremer’s issues with his Generac generator, we installed a 27 kw Generac several years ago running on our natural gas line. Same transfer switch as MF and we have no SQ issues at all. I listen during power outages and notice no degradation in SQ. Again, congrats on the solar install. I would do it in a heartbeat but for the topography issues.

1 hour ago, PeterG said:

Great piece!

Just so there are no misunderstandings on the economics for people who may be considering solar--In many states, the economics of solar are extraordinarily good.  In Massachusetts, I have a 6 year payback period and I'm earning over 15% annual return (IRR).  My electric bill, which includes powering my Tesla, HVAC (mini splits), and lights, is usually negative after accounting for incentives from the utility.  Financially, it's the best investment available to a "normal" person--about 2X the stock market, with much less risk.  (This does not include battery backup such as Powerwall)

Hi Peter,

Thanks for raising this point. I was focused on describing my ROI situation in Texas. Of course, in many parts of the country, the ROI is much more compelling, from a combination of:

• state and local rebates and credits,
  • utility rebates,
  • federal tax credits,
  • true net metering,
  • using batteries for rate arbitrage. with time-of-use rates.

As I said, there is a whole rabbit hole to go down regarding the ROI of solar and batteries!

Great article.  And nice, clean install!   Looking forward to your future findings. 

I don't have a battery backup, so I can only observe sound during the day, when the solar is cranking away, and once the sun has set.  No difference.  I was concerned about the solar monitoring device that runs to my router via the electrical system (the available wifi option is apparently unreliable).  Tested it plugged/unplugged.  No difference.  Not sure if the dedicated lines to my setup are the reason.  

Regarding ROI, I think it was 7+ years to break even in my location.  I enjoy listening for most of the day, yet the most recent month of electricity bill was negative (don't have an electric car yet).   Will continue to follow the cost of battery backup.  When I received a recent quote, my response was:  Now I know why Elon Musk is the richest guy on the planet.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

38 minutes ago, Jud said:

I’d expect THD slightly worse than the 2% maximum required of most utilities for grid power. I doubt it will make much difference, because the major factor is not external power quality, it’s the noise from internal sources like LEDs, small appliances, the refrigerator, etc. (which is why it’s nice to have a separate circuit for the audio system).  And then of course there are interactions within the system.

Congratulations on setting up your solar and battery backup systems. Entirely apart from your audio system, the increased peace of mind will be invaluable.

Our house has a solar photovoltaic system and is prewired for backup batteries on the garage wall when we choose to do that. The house was built “green,” so we needed an installation of less than 4kw capacity to provide 100% of our usage (net metering basis). There’s plenty of room for more (Pueblo style house, flat roof with low parapet that shields panels from street view), so we’ll likely add more when we do batteries.

Wow, if 4kW meets your usage in New Mexico, you must have a really efficient home. Well done!

One of my pending experiments is to chase down what seems like a 1.1kW "ambient" draw in my house. Not sure what accounts for that, but I need to wait until all the civilians in the house are safely away before doing a breaker by breaker analysis. Data is fun!

17 minutes ago, austinpop said:

One of my pending experiments is to chase down what seems like a 1.1kW "ambient" draw in my house. Not sure what accounts for that, but I need to wait until all the civilians in the house are safely away before doing a breaker by breaker analysis. Data is fun!

Maybe the system is using it?

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

Wow, if 4kW meets your usage in New Mexico, you must have a really efficient home. Well done!

Congratulations go to our contractor, former head of the New Mexico Green Builders Association. We talked to a family he built a home for before we decided to go with him, and they said “He’ll listen, so he’ll do it the wrong way if you insist, but first he’ll explain to you why he wants to do it the right way.” 🙂

33 minutes ago, austinpop said:

https://sense.com/thisissense?utm_source=google&utm_medium=&utm_campaign=Non-Brand-SmartShopping&utm_term=&utm_content=&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIwou_hYX78wIVcm5vBB2mkgfOEAQYAyABEgJNO_D_BwE

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

I have a 2300W grid-tied system, installed 2011 before prices of panels really dropped. I made sure to buy US-built PV panels but the microinverters were made in China. Six inverters failed within the first year and the manufacturer paid to replace all. 

My city has its own power utility. I don’t understand why Public utilities are not the norm. The city has hydro, natural gas, and PV generation, buys the rest on the market including about 10% portfolio in wind. The first, I think, 400 kWh are billed at about $0.10 per kWh and the price is tiered upward with increasing usage. Between the low rates and my relatively expensive system, I figure about 20 years to break even. But that’s not why I did it.

Never once thought about how the system might affect the sonics of my audio system. Maybe grid-tied changes nothing but I didn’t notice any change back in 2011. My wife was concerned about sleeping under the panels above our bedroom but I pointed out the power leaves with the sun.

The Tesla batteries seem cool but I hold Musk in the same regard as Bezos. Just not gonna give those dudes my money.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables

My 2300W system provides about one-half of my annual usage (I’m in northern Utah which gets tons of summer sun but lots of clouds during winter). I can easily imagine an efficient house in NM, with relatively even solar radiation throughout the year, getting by with a 4 kW system.

Roon ROCK (Roon 1.7; NUC7i3) > Ayre QB-9 Twenty > Ayre AX-5 Twenty > Thiel CS2.4SE (crossovers rebuilt with Clarity CSA and Multicap RTX caps, Mills MRA-12 resistors; ERSE and Jantzen coils; Cardas binding posts and hookup wire); Cardas and OEM power cables, interconnects, and speaker cables