IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

I realize I'm in a Roon thread, so this may not be true of many of the folks here, but for $299 I think I'll do without Euphony.  Already have 2 Linux distros installed, and if I want something headless and stripped down I can install one of the server versions.

Jud, here's a secret. That's okay buddy. We don't mind. We like you.

No electron left behind.

2 hours ago, charlesphoto said:

C'mon. It's one click to make it disappear. Not that big of a deal considering it takes numerous clicks to do anything or go anywhere in the app, often when one click could/should suffice. That said, I would hope they limit it to once or twice a year. 

Do not be surprised if you start seeing more ads, for Roon Ready devices etc.  This was just testing the ad infrastructure and user response.  "Hey boys there's nobody in the industry that has audiophool reach like us, come, place your adverts with us, we will deliver them directly to our worshippers..."

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

You know, I provided a handy link to their website up above so you can learn all about it for yourself.

I just downloaded and tried it. Not too interested in audio quality (my DAC does not need an "audiophile" player) - library management and Qobuz is of interest. Unfortunately, Qobuz features are not any better than what is available on other applications (I have tried Volumio, USB Audio Player Pro, and LMS). Moreover, on Stylus Qobuz purchases are not accessible. Other frustrating limitations with Qobuz, on all players, is the poor navigation. How difficult would it be to navigate from a list of searched tracks to an artist or to the corresponding album ? 

I'll pass.

Perhaps Roon's forum is populated with evil Roon fans, and Roon does not answer every awesome feature requested by its users, but one has to admit that Qobuz integration is way above anything else. Unfortunately, I'm not going to pay the price for that alone (and I am not interested by Roon's library management/metadata management). Will stick to browsing Qobuz on their website, adding albums to my favorites, until something better is available.

5 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I just downloaded and tried it. Not too interested in audio quality (my DAC does not need an "audiophile" player) - library management and Qobuz is of interest. Unfortunately, Qobuz features are not any better than what is available on other applications (I have tried Volumio, USB Audio Player Pro, and LMS). Moreover, on Stylus Qobuz purchases are not accessible. Other frustrating limitations with Qobuz, on all players, is the poor navigation. How difficult would it be to navigate from a list of searched tracks to an artist or to the corresponding album ? 

I'll pass.

Perhaps Roon's forum is populated with evil Roon fans, and Roon does not answer every awesome feature requested by its users, but one has to admit that Roon integration is way above anything else. Unfortunately, I'm not going to pay the price for that. Will stick to browsing Qobuz on their website, adding albums to my favorites, until something better is available.

No one here will stop you.

No electron left behind.

6 minutes ago, hopkins said:

I'll pass.

Perhaps Roon's forum is populated with evil Roon fans, and Roon does not answer every awesome feature requested by its users, but one has to admit that Roon integration is way above anything else. Unfortunately, I'm not going to pay the price for that. Will stick to browsing Qobuz on their website, adding albums to my favorites, until something better is available.

For Qobuz integration I like Audirvana, but I'm guessing you've already tried it?

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

For Qobuz integration I like Audirvana, but I'm guessing you've already tried it?

No, I have not. The many issues after the launch of the new version did not encourage me to try. 

Addendum: library search on Stylus is pretty nice... 

Having a 30 day trial period without being able to play a full song or let alone a full album is really frustrating !

4 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Having a 30 day trial period without being able to play a full song or let alone a full album is really frustrating !

Is this with Euphony and Stylus? 

It should be working perfectly, unless they have changed something recently in the trial.

No electron left behind.

17 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Is this with Euphony and Stylus? 

It should be working perfectly, unless they have changed something recently in the trial.

Yes, Euphone and Stylus. Its not a problem, obviously, to check out the features.

By the way, for what it's worth, it seems that the music application (Stylus) is based on MPD. This is mentioned in the documentation (and in some of the licenses).

I actually use MPD now (with my own frontend), and I like it a lot: ligthweight (especially compared to LMS and Roon), easily configurable, and with many possibilities for developing apps (as I do).

The MPD database features arae poor but I am sure Euphony implemented their own library scanning and database around it (which is what I did as well). MPD even has a Qobuz plugin, but Qobuz does not provide the credentials for using it! They prefer to have their customers pay for applications...

14 minutes ago, hopkins said:

MPD even has a Qobuz plugin, but Qobuz does not provide the credentials for using it! They prefer to have their customers pay for applications...

Same with upmpdcli, a UPnP/DLNA renderer using mpd - Qobuz made it impossible for subscribers like me to use upmpdcli to stream Qobuz on Linux, though the Qobuz app's own streaming capabilities are still in development.  (Another reason for me to use Audirvana.)

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Same with upmpdcli, a UPnP/DLNA renderer using mpd - Qobuz made it impossible for subscribers like me to use upmpdcli to stream Qobuz on Linux, though the Qobuz app's own streaming capabilities are still in development.  (Another reason for me to use Audirvana.)

I use Qobuz with the MoOde UPnP service and it works just fine with client apps BubblePnP on Android and MconnectHD on iPadOS.

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

System (iii) KEF LS50W/KEF R400b subs

1 minute ago, Richard Dale said:

I use Qobuz with the MoOde UPnP service and it works just fine with client apps BubblePnP on Android and MconnectHD on iPadOS.

Yes, I know BubbleUPnP works.  For whatever reason, it's just upmpdcli.

56 minutes ago, hopkins said:

No, I have not. The many issues after the launch of the new version did not encourage me to try. 

Addendum: library search on Stylus is pretty nice... 

Thats weird, I don't remember it doing that. The support is great though, so if you want send them an email and they'll get back to you.

edit: I think I remembered the problem. You need to "register" the trial. Did you do that?

No electron left behind.

19 minutes ago, Jud said:

Yes, I know BubbleUPnP works.  For whatever reason, it's just upmpdcli.

I have it running on MoOde and I assume it is what connects to Qobuz:

pi@bw-mm1:~ $ ps axwww | grep upmpdcli
  775 ?        Ssl    5:52 /usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /etc/upmpdcli.conf

System (i): Stack Audio Link > 2Qute+MCRU psu; Gyrodec/SME V/Hana SL/EAT E-Glo Petit/Magnum Dynalab FT101A) > PrimaLuna Evo 100 amp > Klipsch RP-600M/REL T5x subs

System (ii): Allo USB Signature > Bel Canto uLink+AQVOX psu > Chord Hugo > APPJ EL34 > Tandy LX5/REL Tzero v3 subs

7 minutes ago, Richard Dale said:

I have it running on MoOde and I assume it is what connects to Qobuz:

pi@bw-mm1:~ $ ps axwww | grep upmpdcli
  775 ?        Ssl    5:52 /usr/bin/upmpdcli -c /etc/upmpdcli.conf

I think I've been working from old news.  See 2019-10-6 and 2020-12-08 news entries here: https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

6 minutes ago, Jud said:

I think I've been working from old news.  See 2019-10-6 and 2020-12-08 news entries here: https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/

Yes, I think the Qobuz authentication is done in the client app now, Bubble PnP or MconnectHD in my case. The apps then send a suitable URL to the backend to get the music stream.

Thats weird, I don't remember it doing that. The support is great though, so if you want send them an email and they'll get back to you.

edit: I think I remembered the problem. You need to "register" the trial. Did you do that?

Yes, I registered. Thanks for the offer but I can continue testing even with limited playtime. 

Actually, got the trial registration code now - I had not understood the trial process.

Are the benefits of Euphony OS & Stylus apparent when you're using an NAA? Or do you need to have the DAC directly connected to the Euphony OS server to hear the improvement it makes?

I ask because my understanding is that one of the primary benefits of using an HQP NAA is that it isolates the DAC from the HQP server.

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i

31 minutes ago, hopkins said:

Actually, got the trial registration code now - I had not understood the trial process.

Yep, I remembered having this problem as well as being unable to add my local HDD to Euphony, and it was because I also hadn't understood the process.

No electron left behind.

20 minutes ago, k6davis said:

Are the benefits of Euphony OS & Stylus apparent when you're using an NAA? Or do you need to have the DAC directly connected to the Euphony OS server to hear the improvement it makes?

I ask because my understanding is that one of the primary benefits of using an HQP NAA is that it isolates the DAC from the HQP server.

In my case, yes very much so. It's all running on the same hardware as Roon was and it works and sounds much better.

No electron left behind.

16 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

In my case, yes very much so. It's all running on the same hardware as Roon was and it works and sounds much better.

Like Jud, my setup streams to a Rendu device over ethernet.  It's the Rendu, not my NUC, that is connected to the DAC. 

I gave up my Roon subscription and now am using both JRiver and Audirvana Studio as control applications.

This might be a dumb question, but to synthesize what's above in this thread, do I need HQP to use Euphony as a source with NAA?  I assume so, and that, if I don't want to use HQP, I need a server that runs on Linux like MinimServer or Bubble Server.

Is that a proper understanding of what's been said previously in this thread?

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

2 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

Your affirmative answer means that it's best to run Euphony OS direct to the DAC? Or that the benefits of Euphony OS are still apparent when using an NAA?

Roon Server: Core i7-3770S, WS2012 + AO => HQP Server: Core, i7-9700K, HQPlayer OS => NAA: Celeron NUC, HQP NAA => ISO Regen with UltraCap LPS 1.2 => Mapleshade USB Cable => Lampizator L4 DSD-Only Balanced DAC Preamp => Blue Jeans Belden Balanced Cables => Mivera PurePower SE Amp => Magnepan 3.7i