IGNORED

I have had it with Roon, their lack of support, their user forum, and it's users...

4 hours ago, Mike Rubin said:

Like Jud, my setup streams to a Rendu device over ethernet.  It's the Rendu, not my NUC, that is connected to the DAC. 

I gave up my Roon subscription and now am using both JRiver and Audirvana Studio as control applications.

This might be a dumb question, but to synthesize what's above in this thread, do I need HQP to use Euphony as a source with NAA?  I assume so, and that, if I don't want to use HQP, I need a server that runs on Linux like MinimServer or Bubble Server.

Is that a proper understanding of what's been said previously in this thread?

While I have never tried it any other way other than as an NAA or by connecting it to my DAC, I am sure there is a way to use Euphony to stream to a Rendu without using the NAA function. Failing that, RopieeXL has UPNP functionality as well, although I found the NAA image to sound better by itself, not when used as part of RopieeeXL, so I switched back to the plain NAA image. I use my Sonore device as an NAA as well.

No electron left behind.

Notable that Roon chose to close and then hide the thread that was discussing ads in the app.  I wonder how many companies with discussion forums go to the level Roon does to censor and hide anything critical?  I mean moderating for compliance with forum rules is one thing, but hiding whole threads that are within the rules?  

18 hours ago, Pappy Boyington said:

Notable that Roon chose to close and then hide the thread that was discussing ads in the app.  I wonder how many companies with discussion forums go to the level Roon does to censor and hide anything critical?  I mean moderating for compliance with forum rules is one thing, but hiding whole threads that are within the rules?  

Jriver forum is much like that.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

2 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

If music is playing, then don't do shit. if music isn't playing, then do whatever it wants.

There, I wrote the simple if/then statement :~)

I don't know why that wasn't baked in from the beginning. When Roon isn't using 1 and a half cores it sits at around .3% which is perfectly reasonable.

No electron left behind.

10 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

While Roon was playing music throughout the house...

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 12.46.26 PM.png

Oh man, money doesn't grow on trees and 1TB HDDs do cost money

https://www.facebook.com/roonlabs/photos/3639042746197104

and it was REALLY necessary to spam us all with this WITHIN Roon??????????

Xplz0nH.jpg

While 1TB ain't any good for XCH, how could anyone go wrong with borrowing the CPU just a little bit for stuff like BTC or ETH? (j/k)

Comparison of CPU usage of browser without and with browser mining enabled. 

https://www.researchgate.net/figure/Comparison-of-CPU-usage-of-browser-without-and-with-browser-mining-enabled_fig4_323654794

Websites use your CPU to mine cryptocurrency even when you close your browser

https://arstechnica.com/information-technology/2017/11/sneakier-more-persistent-drive-by-cryptomining-comes-to-a-browser-near-you/

Showtime websites secretly mined user CPU for cryptocurrency

https://www.theverge.com/2017/9/26/16367620/showtime-cpu-cryptocurrency-monero-coinhive

That really wasn't too uncommon back in 2017, I just couldn't stop laughing at the CPU usage myself after seeing what @AudioDoctor posted above.

https://www.wired.com/2015/02/kapersky-discovers-equation-group/

The module reflashes the firmware with malicious code that gives the attackers a persistent foothold on the system even if the owner reformats the hard drive or wipes the operating system and reinstalls it in an attempt to clean the machine of malware.

It's also somewhat funny when they're giving freebies away. Maybe it just smells kinda fishy because 1TB HDDs are too small and too slow these days, not even good for Chia farming.

23 hours ago, AudioDoctor said:

While Roon was playing music throughout the house...

Screen Shot 2021-07-25 at 12.46.26 PM.png

That is interesting.  Although I don't know what's "normal" be it roon, euphony, jriver etc..  It does seem very high usage. 

I haven't used roon (core computer) to play music for yrs.  Being I have a separate HQP wkst actually pushing tunes to the NAA, my core just does DB duties only.🤷‍♂️

My rig

13 minutes ago, Foggie said:

That is interesting.  Although I don't know what's "normal" be it roon, euphony, jriver etc..  It does seem very high usage. 

I haven't used roon (core computer) to play music for yrs.  Being I have a separate HQP wkst actually pushing tunes to the NAA, my core just does DB duties only.🤷‍♂️

Roon averages ~.3% and can go to 2-3% at times. But when it spikes it's audible as a further loss of the already not stellar sound quality. I have HQPlayer as well on the same machine, all Roon is doing is sending it the bits.

No electron left behind.

24 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Would they even get a benefit from not using the entire CPU?

Just been reading the 40+ pages discussing the recent A+ Studio release (which sounds wonderful beating my ROON lifetime) and see this thread....all this computer driven audio may be trying our patience...perhaps it's time for an Aurender.  Sheesh!

On 7/14/2021 at 7:31 AM, SimoneF said:

To make is work on linux and macOS they use mono which is an open-source VM to let users run .NET software on OS different than Windows.

The exception is Roon Core on RoonOS (linux).  I believe it’s all .NET Core now.

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas

43 minutes ago, Dr Tone said:

The exception is Roon Core on RoonOS (linux).  I believe it’s all .NET Core now.

No. As you can see from the pic even ROCK uses mono.

To avoid random CPU spikes:

1- Use Windows

2- Use a Windows VM in your Linux host.

7zFM_787kXzK6tZ.png

17 minutes ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well, people here using Windows are seeing the same behavior so that's not a solution.

I don't know, I use it in a Windows VM which is up since the start of June and RAM and CPU usage are very normal (aka extremely low unless it's scanning for new files)

1 hour ago, SimoneF said:

No. As you can see from the pic even ROCK uses mono.

To avoid random CPU spikes:

1- Use Windows

2- Use a Windows VM in your Linux host.

7zFM_787kXzK6tZ.png

Mono might still be in the distro.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/please-switch-all-builds-of-roon-server-from-mono-to-net-core-on-roadmap/154299

Roon Rock->Auralic Aria G2->Schiit Yggdrasil A2->McIntosh C47->McIntosh MC301 Monos->Wilson Audio Sabrinas