IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

Though to my ears Studio with kernel streaming in W10 sounds significantly better than 3.5, I cannot believe Studio is sounding its best constantly analyzing the audio files, using about 15% of memory(total 32 gigs). Will it ever end?

System: Fedilizer Pro>Pareto Audio Server with both Audiolinux (Roon) and W10 (Audirvana Studio) OS's, currently using W10 (control via remote desktop with laptop)> Original (2015) Sonore Signature Series, BNC/SPDIF > Yggdrasil A2 > Pass Labs XA100 Monoblocks > Triton Reference Speakers (modified) >Tweeked CiscoSG110D-08 LAN Switch. Cabling: Canare LV-77S SPDIF, Kimber KS2026 XLR interconnects, Kimber KS3035 Speaker wires.

8 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

@RunHomeSlowbtw this is abit of off topic but I saw you are running 10.15.7 OS, and was wondering if you have any success deleting the OS "built-in" apps? I was using a leaned out El Capitan to run Audirvana 3.5 and just recently got another SD Card to be able to compare and separately install another OS to be able to run Studio which is the 10.15.7 (couldnt get High Sierra)

I don't really play anymore with system... forgot Direct Mode, since i couldn't install it past 10.15.5 i think... Apple released after major security updates to 10.15.7, 2 times i think... so now, i don't care, might try installing later a Big Sur on late 2012, but have other problems more important than that... bit perfect playing, no hack, Studio for only local files, no bugs. Backup up database everyday just in case :)

i have requests but all play good and sound better for me... was already hearing nice music when beta testing... i was surprise 3 or 4 times that Cd plays more beautiful if i recall :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

9 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

Since I also use Studio strictly for streaming online in the mean time without trying to integrate my offline collection yet. I'm very surprised people kept talking about the bad things and NONE regarding the upgrade in SQ. 

This is a very valuable info. I am running so far 3.5 with High-Sierra and do streaming only, no local files.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

2 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

@Boleary3theoretically yes, I had my doubts, but it does sound better on my older 2014 mac mini (non M1 - which Studio is actually optimized to run on)

If there is something with bugs and less latittude is Mac M1 :)  Apple are pretty good at closing doors...

I'm pretty sure the sound is the same on M1 or Intel, or worse on M1 for the moment...

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

If I use the "Power of Two" (r8brain) or "Device maximum frequency" (both SoX and r8brain) upsampling settings, all 24/96 tracks become just loud, distorted noise. 16/44 upsamples fine. Anyone else?

Also, using SoX upsampling it cuts the last seconds of (some?) tracks. Just like Audirvana 3.5.

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

100% right. 

I believe we could use a little more competition in this area.

Perhaps when Pure Music will come to the table again, but I have my doubts about the long time they need already to develop a new version.

3 hours ago, kerisabe said:

both using upnp out

Did you try direct USB out from Mac into DAC as well?

Maybe Studio sounds better via upnp and 3.5 via USB?

Thanks

Matt

No Radio and Podcasts menu!  They were there before…High Sierra, Macmini

6583BF0B-44CB-4715-BA53-EF25B218B4BC.jpeg

4B54F5A1-0B72-467E-89DE-946A37694C66.jpeg

Just for music:Mac Mini 2.3 GHz Intel Core i5 60GB SSD, 16GB RAM (Mid 2011) OS X El Capitan 10.11.3 > WD NAS 6TB > Audirvana+>Roon Server > HQPlayer >iPad for Roon Remote> Teac UD-503 DAC > Audio Quest Cinnamon USB cable > Cambridge Audio Azur 840C > Cambridge Audio Azur 840A > Polk LSi 15 > DIY Speaker Cables.

RE: the it sounds better than v.3.5 comments. The description of 3.5 and of Studio is that it is bit perfect, if so, how/why did the sound change?? Unless one or both are altering the source data, then the sound should be the same. If they are altering the source data with an algorithm or built-in audio unit to "improve the sound" then they are not bit-perfect and stating so is dishonest.  So what is going on? Is the data being altered or is it just hopeful anticipation convincing one that the sound has improved?

Server: Mac Mini 3.2GHz-i7, 512Gb - 16Gb macOS 13.x & Audirvana Origin  DAC: Benchmark DAC3B  Linestage: Benchmark LA4  Amp: Benchmark AHB2 x2  Speakers: Revel F328Be

When you're racing... it's Life. Anything that happens before or after, it's just waiting.
- Steve McQueen, Le Mans

6 minutes ago, Martini said:

RE: the it sounds better than v.3.5 comments. The description of 3.5 and of Studio is that it is bit perfect, if so, how/why did the sound change?? Unless one or both are altering the source data, then the sound should be the same. If they are altering the source data with an algorithm or built-in audio unit to "improve the sound" then they are not bit-perfect and stating so is dishonest.  So what is going on? Is the data being altered or is it just hopeful anticipation convincing one that the sound has improved?

This discussion based on if bit-perfect then no SQ differences is obsolete.

Matt

1 hour ago, Martini said:

Many users of Audirvana are fans of upsampling.  Also, I believe some of the comments are due to the excitement of a new release.  When 3.5 came out, I remember some users claiming it was the best thing since sliced bread (OK, they did not use those words).  Now with Studio I believe we are witnessing some of the same thing.

As an aside, one user has said the new logo looks like a toilet bowel and cover.

mQa is dead!

DSD 256 kernel streaming success:

I was able to upsample to DSD256 using kernel streaming in Windows 10.  The receiving device is a Gustard U16 that is capable of DSD512 input. Using ASIO, I am able to upsample to DSD512.

There is a DOP selection available in the DAC input settings that appears after selecting kernel streaming.  (This DOP setting is not available in my system when ASIO is selected.)  Using kernel streaming: With DSD512 upsampling selected and DOP 1.1 chosen in the DAC input settings, the music is output at 16bit/44kHz.  However, if I drop back to DSD256 with DOP 1.1, kernel streaming works well.

Some  preliminary observations:

1. The left and right channels are reversed with DSD256 kernel streaming.

2. DSD512 with ASIO initially seems preferable to DSD256 kernel streaming.  But the optimal modulator may be different for these two choices., so this is a very preliminary finding.  Both sound very good.

3. I hope that the DSD512 kernel streaming limitation is a bug that can be fixed - along with the DSD256 channel reversal.

Sorry Chris, A+ works fine with Marantz sr8012. Studio does play music from NAS. However, after Studio is closed, 8012 in not accessible via network. Have to perform a Network Reset on the 8012 in order to regain control.

A+ works fine same setup.

greyscale

Marantz 6007, PSB Image B6 & B5, Synology 216+, 2010 Macbook Pro

Audirvana 3.03, JRiver.

5 hours ago, matthias said:

Some do and find Studio less musical sounding.

Matt

As I've said before, opinions differ. 🙂 The only thing that really matters is what you think.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.