IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

46 minutes ago, Christopher Wood said:

Roon lifetime users are hilarious.

so some Roon users aren't happy with 1.8. Many Audirvana users are at a minimum unhappy and at an extreme pissed off about Studio including how it handles tags, the interface, subscription versus purchase,, etc. . How is any of that relevant to anything?

For many of us the features in Roon that are lacking in Audirvana make it an easy decision to stick with Roon. for me (I pay by the year)

1. the Roon radio feature for discovering new music
  2. Roon's integration with HQplayer allowing
    1. excellent processing/upsampling and streaming to an NAA endpoint vs DLNA
    2. use of convolution filters for room correction
  3. Roon's ability to stream to many endpoints at once each of which can be under the control of a different user with a different stream or grouped together (this alone is enough for me to stick with Roon as my family uses it often) AS would cost me $140 a year to have 2 users and still limited to one endpoint at a time for each. For me Roon is cheaper
  4. I suppose minor, but the goofy Audirvana  search that segregates results into different columns. One it finds in my library, one for Qobuz, and a third for Tidal. I assume another for the HD stream if you have it. I want the results all in one group 

it basically boils down to how you want to use the player and what is important to you. No right or wrong.. it is personal preference

see my system at Audiogon  https://systems.audiogon.com/systems/768

6 hours ago, lucretius said:

Only if you let it:

73798541_Screenshot2021-05-18193405.png.20385205a272ce872a5525d50a277c1d.png

There are also some other check boxes not shown that affect tag writing behavior.

Agreed. IF you make a change to the metadata in the file with MP3Tag or Tagscanner for example, then open Jriver, it remembers the previous change only not the new changes. Only by deleting the library entry and re-importing will the metadata changes stick. Or you can wait up to 15 minutes for Jriver to recognise the changes.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

10 hours ago, jtm said:

Yate doesn‘t do the job I am afraid.

Screenshot 2021-05-19 at 08.33.30.jpg

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

1 hour ago, LowOrbit said:

R8Brain was developed for pro studios, has always seemed to deliver high quality results and is a very mature product. I think incorporating this upsampling code was one of Damien's better decisions thus far in Studio.

The R8brain Pro version SRC is very good  However. the R8brain free version is about equal to SoX.  It's not clear which version of R8brain Damien has employed. (I would assume the latter, since the open source code is available for that.)

mQa is dead!

31 minutes ago, lucretius said:

The R8brain Pro version SRC is very good  However. the R8brain free version is about equal to SoX.  It's not clear which version of R8brain Damien has employed. (I would assume the latter, since the open source code is available for that.)

Good point. Going with the Free version would seem a little pointless.

Well, in any case, Damien’s got us all talking about it 😃

My conclusions so far are that…

1/ He should  add opt ins/outs for the Meta-Tag and Audio analysis features. Lossy can obviously throw audio analysis out and this should be fixed too.

2/ He should consider a multi-zone feature, for those who want it.

On the positive side, there’s the sound quality, R8Brain and, hey Podcasts (which some Roon users have been requesting for 5 years).

So Damien does listen to user requests.

Owner of: Sound Galleries, High-End Audio Dealer, Monaco

Two those who are interested, finally had a chance to sit down and properly compared audirvana 3.5 + optimized el capitan on sd card and AS + “almost” optimized Catalina on sd card, both using upnp out, no upsampling with sys optimizer, wow the new AS sounds denser, thicker, more analog and more musical wasnt expecting that at all, but I feel the music runs a tad faster on the AS? 

I have read this on the Audirvana Studio site: 'Audirvāna Studio automatically import your favorites and playlists from the 3.5 version when you first start Audirvana Studio', but it didn't, somehow.

So I imported all my 3.5 playlist and some are working and some not. I could fix them, so no problem. However, I can't find my 3.5 favorites. Someone know where I can find them, or how to export/import them?

My Audirvana Studio is crashing sometimes with an Apple report to conclude, witch I can't read (to technical). After restarting AS starts Analyzing my audio files all over again, and that is a  very lengthy proces as we all know. It's quite disturbing, because I want to finish that process after a long time and leaving my computer on all night.

24 minutes ago, Jud said:

It would seem. I expected nothing much after looking at the comparison. Yet to me, subjectively, Studio with r8brain upsampling sounds better than 3.5 with SoX did. (Haven't done any A/B at all on my main system.  When I first listened to Studio with r8brain I was very happy with it and haven't bothered changing.  It was just "Damn, that sounds better than ever!", and I left it at that.)

Would you compare Studio with r8brain to Studio with SoX?

On another note:  Since you use HQPlayer, where does 3.5/Studio fit into your playback chain?

Thanks in advance.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, Jud said:

Yet to me, subjectively, Studio with r8brain upsampling sounds better than 3.5 with SoX did.

Jud,

did you compare Studio vs. 3.5 without upsampling?

Thanks

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

1 hour ago, jos said:

'Audirvāna Studio automatically import your favorites and playlists from the 3.5 version when you first start Audirvana Studio', but it didn't

right the same as what happened when migrating to 3.5 🙄😡

had to re-create many of mines from scratch, back then, as some exported/imported ones did not work

Qnap HS-264 NAS (powered by an HD-Plex 100w LPS) > Cirrus7 Nimbini v2.5 Media Edition i7-8559U/32/512 running Roon ROCK (powered by a Keces P8 LPS) > Lumin U2  > Metrum Acoustics Adagio NOS digital preamplifier > First Watt SIT 3  power amplifier (or Don Garber Fi "Y" 6922 tube preamplifier + Don Garber Fi "X" 2A3 SET power amplifier, both powered from an Alpha-Core BP-30 Isolated Symmetrical Power Transformer) > Klipsch Cornwall III

headphones system:

Cirrus 7 > Lumin U2 > Metrum Acoustics Adagio > Pathos Aurium amplifier (powered by an UpTone Audio JS-2 LPS) > Focal Clear headphones

40 minutes ago, matthias said:

Jud,

did you compare Studio vs. 3.5 without upsampling?

Thanks

Matt

No, that's part of the value of the product for me. For a few dollars, I get the equivalent or better of the internal upsampling in DACs costing tens of thousands.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

13 minutes ago, kerisabe said:

I did compared the two without any upsampling, and Studio sounds so much more musical/less analytical sounding due to the bloom in the mid and bass area. The timbre playing through Studio is just so much more analog sounding. 

Thank you for sharing, 

I am just wondering why some people on the Audirvana community forum describe this the other way around.

Matt

"I want to know why the musicians are on stage, not where". (John Farlowe)

Just now, matthias said:

Thank you for sharing, 

I am just wondering why some people on the Audirvana community forum describe this the other way around.

Matt

They mostly not complaining about the sound  :)

If You Got Ears, You Gotta ListenCaptain Beefheart

MacMini 2018, 4xi3 3.6GHz, SSD, 20Gb, macOS Sonoma > Audirvana Origin >

Wyred DAC2 DSD Special Edition > Proceed AMP2 > Focal Cobalt 826 Signature Series >

Audirvana Remote > iPhone 13

2 minutes ago, RunHomeSlow said:

They mostly not complaining about the sound  :)

haha! Since I also use Studio strictly for streaming online in the mean time without trying to integrate my offline collection yet. I'm very surprised people kept talking about the bad things and NONE regarding the upgrade in SQ. 

@RunHomeSlowbtw this is abit of off topic but I saw you are running 10.15.7 OS, and was wondering if you have any success deleting the OS "built-in" apps? I was using a leaned out El Capitan to run Audirvana 3.5 and just recently got another SD Card to be able to compare and separately install another OS to be able to run Studio which is the 10.15.7 (couldnt get High Sierra)