IGNORED

Audirvana Studio

44 minutes ago, aaron8489 said:

I think Roon exists nowadays primarily for Qobuz and Tidal users, to tell you the truth.  

The reality is that most popular music has become pretty standardized as far as metadata is concerned.  I use Yate when I rip popular stuff and I rarely have to make any changes at all.  The problem is with classical music (which is what I usually rip) and Musicbrainz is subject to the same multitude of metadata "techniques" (composer as artist, incorrect soloist info, inconsistent movement titles, etc) as any other service.  This is why many of us that have classical music files have no choice but to edit dozens of tracks to have any consistency.   For this to be over-ridden (or worse, over-written) is not acceptable to many of us.

I find myself making metadata changes (editing or adding) to popular music frequently, and as you say, classical is even more subject to problems.

While nothing is being overwritten by what AS is doing, wanting tracks to be displayed as you have taken considerable pains to have them displayed is perfectly understandable.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

10 minutes ago, lucretius said:

😀

To be fair some MQA tracks do produce "Confirmed HD Recording".

Maybe, when Studio decided it was "dubious" it did not bother to graph the HD (above 22 kHz) portion?

Looking at the suckout in the 22kHz region in Archimago's data, perhaps the algorithm either isn't set up to keep looking further or has decided whatever's above that range isn't real.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 minutes ago, Jud said:

I find myself making metadata changes (editing or adding) to popular music frequently, and as you say, classical is even more subject to problems.

While nothing is being overwritten by what AS is doing, wanting tracks to be displayed as you have taken considerable pains to have them displayed is perfectly understandable.

At least I can control (to a large extent) what Roon displays.

mQa is dead!

Just now, lucretius said:

At least I can control (to a large extent) what Roon displays.

That's consistent with what other people have said (didn't pay attention myself during my Roon trial), and similar ability to control would of course be most welcome in AS.

1 minute ago, jimdukey said:

Huh?

I mean the Original Files in your Computer or Network

aren't used, only copies, ala Drag and Drop.

A copy goes in the Player, Not the Original.

So nothing is change  or damaged.

Your idea of how this works is inaccurate.

Yes, a MusicBrainz ID metadata tag is added to the original files, so AS "knows" to display the MusicBrainz information to the user, even if the track isn't playing. This doesn't overwrite any user metadata. However, it does change the way the file is displayed in AS in a way some users who have carefully curated their metadata don't want. Adding the tag also may change the file sufficiently to pose some issues for people like myself who pay for cloud backup, because changed files are uploaded to cloud storage, possibly resulting in extra ISP data charges.

Ok. I’m very satisfied with my purchase of Audirvana 3.5 less than 12 months ago, but the new subscription model has changed my appetite for paying more $$$ for a music player. AS has ambitions to be a more powerful music player than 3.5, and in doing so inches closer to Roon pricing territory. 

I’m interested in the local-streaming integration that AS is trying to accomplish; I just am

not happy with the UI decisions made (nor the issues experienced by others during the rollout). 

The Audirvana 3.5 vs Roon was an easier decision to make (if I was satisfied with the more limited feature set of Audirvava). But the AS subscription changes things. 

So… I’m thinking that a Roon 1.8 trial might be something I should consider. With Roon, I’d get local/streaming integration with an emphasis on music discovery, an intelligent radio option (not just the ability to play internet radio stations), a mobile control app, and support for my Bluesound endpoints. 

Can others share their experience with Roon 1.8 and why (apart from the higher cost compared to Audirvana 3.5) they decided on Audirvana?

Many tracks in my library were modified on May 16th  after, I installed Audirvana Studio.

To mention just a few of them:

3 tracks of AcDc, Back in Black at 21:54

3 tracks of Daft Punk, RAM at  22:00

2 tracks of Marcus Miller, Renaissance at 22:35

2 of Ryuichi Sakamoto, Beauty at 22:46  

...and so on.

I didn't touch them. I don't like this.

3 hours ago, jimdukey said:

When I play a File, I already know who is playing and what they are playing.

And how do you find that file? If you search, you're searching metadata. If you sort your lists, the sort is based on the metadata. I may know what I want the player to play, and who I want to play it, but if the metadata is inconsistent I won't be able to find it and select it to play. 

Yes, but only what's attached to the File I Downloaded.

That's always been enough for me.

The Album Art is enough for me to recognise the Music.

I think all of us should be require to listen to ALL the Files we have or have access to, on Shuffle.

Then there won't be any time for this sort of discourse...!

I'm sure many have HDs FULL of Music Files.

That'll keep 'em off the streets!

Anyway, I had retired from this thread, I'll go now.

30 minutes ago, jimdukey said:

Yes, but only what's attached to the File I Downloaded.

That's always been enough for me.

The Album Art is enough for me to recognise the Music.

I think all of us should be require to listen to ALL the Files we have or have access to, on Shuffle.

Then there won't be any time for this sort of discourse...!

I'm sure many have HDs FULL of Music Files.

That'll keep 'em off the streets!

Anyway, I had retired from this thread, I'll go now.

Damien Plisson, is that you "undercover" ? 😊

1 hour ago, Saffuria said:

Many tracks in my library were modified on May 16th  after, I installed Audirvana Studio.

To mention just a few of them:

3 tracks of AcDc, Back in Black at 21:54

3 tracks of Daft Punk, RAM at  22:00

2 tracks of Marcus Miller, Renaissance at 22:35

2 of Ryuichi Sakamoto, Beauty at 22:46  

...and so on.

I didn't touch them. I don't like this.

What file format was it?

Flac?

I had run AS over my NAS folder with DSF files when I read about these metadata changes, but could not retrieve any changes in my files (yet).

This makes we wondering which file formats have been changed under which condition by AS...

Does same behaviour occurs for AIFF files then ...???

No formats or anything to do with music are changed. To repeat: A tag with the track's MusicBrainz ID is added to the metadata area of the file, which allows MusicBrainz information to be displayed to the user regarding the file. No user-entered information is deleted or changed.

This isn't to say it's correct, just to let you know exactly what's going on.

Jud, I do appreciate your expertise on this topic.

IMO, altering the presentation of music information from the way I wanted it to look like, and doing so by adding new content to the metadata area in the music file which I have obtained through a purchase, does mean a modification of my property. 

I have not seen an opt-in or opt-out tab or a pop window informing me about this automated editing.

I am open to learn more about how to identify the modified files and to revert them back to the original status.

However an information to the customer about this „feature“ is the least I would have expected from a company with this background.