IGNORED

Best Vintage HiFi Designs

That Marantz tuning wheel was one of the best inventions ever in audio. Growing up, I always wanted a Marantz receiver, but they were too pricey for me then. 

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protector +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Isolation>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

My first amplifier (picture borrowed) circa 1974: A Citizen model JSA-8 (Citizen was a Canadian brand of Jutan International Limited - product made by Goldstar -- now LG -- in Korea and sold under various badges around the world including Goldstar model GSA-8500).  This thing put out tons of power (for the time). Unfortunately, at the time I never owned speakers that were worthy of such power.

amplifier.jpg.aa3bd80270bec12105a60e21ad9314d7.jpg

Power output: 45 watts per channel into 8Ω

Frequency response: 10Hz to 35kHz

Total harmonic distortion: 0.06%

Damping factor: 30

Input sensitivity: 2.4mV (MM), 150mV (line)

Signal to noise ratio: 50dB (MM), 70dB (line)

Output: 100mV (line), 0.7V (Pre out)

Speaker load impedance: 4Ω to 16Ω

mQa is dead!

Straight back to Dire Straights, Telegraph road times, ah memories.

976F1ECC-7B6B-43B7-8F33-808732E55C68.thumb.jpeg.6c7ad0d8e36ab372be2082cab61cb7f6.jpeg

A27296B1-B686-421D-96EF-0860217AF0E0.thumb.jpeg.c4f762899ccd2bb3719157e79ad38326.jpeg

0833536B-9789-4A10-926A-92560700747F.jpeg.0a66994b171c6cffeba8cb9531590b15.jpeg

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

Now there is an old friend!  My '030 Cube is safely in a storage locker, as is the Megapixel Display case that some former coworkers kindly converted into a fish tank for me.

Extraordinary how much of the future was invented from whole cloth 30 years ago...

ATT Fiber -> EdgeRouter X SFP -> Taiko Audio Extreme -> Vinnie Rossi L2i-SE w/ Level 2 DAC -> Voxativ 9.87 speakers w/ 4D drivers

16 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, but in my (not so humble) opinion that has to be one of the ugliest audio components ever conceived.  And I say that as someone who lusted after the Apple Cube and for a time at work had a NeXT. x-D

No offense taken.

I'm probably a bit partial to it, since I had one at the time and liked it.

I do remember that it looked pretty cool sitting on my equipment rack (in 1990), compared to all the other standard black or silver horizontal boxes.  Besides its cubic shape, I liked the shades of gray and the shape and feel of the buttons. 

I think the G4 Cube is a work of art.  

17 hours ago, Superdad said:

Sorry, but in my (not so humble) opinion that has to be one of the ugliest audio components ever conceived.  And I say that as someone who lusted after the Apple Cube and for a time at work had a NeXT. 

AFAICR wasn't it often, both aptly and somewhat derisively, referred to as "The Toaster"? :)

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Kenwood L-07M/L-09M monoblocks were an interesting design and one of the only DC designs at the time. A Pioneer M-22 is in front of the Kenwoods.

IMG_20200809_173336.jpg

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

@Allan F

The above photo:  AR3a (improved) European Model.  Bought new on 23 August 1975 at the Wiesbaden Audio and Photo Club, Mainz-Kastel, Germany.  $402.00

The stands (photo 2 supra) were recently constructed from 3/4 in mahogany sheets purchased in Panama c.1978.   The labor for the stands was just under $400, I cannot recall the cost for the mahogany.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law