IGNORED

Best Vintage HiFi Designs

Hi Guys, I need some help finding the best vintage high end audio designs. It's for a project to be revealed at a later date, if it comes to fruition. Please post pictures, links, or brands and models if neither can be found.

Vintage is a loose term as is "best." I love some of the old McIntosh and Marantz designs and of course Luxman and Accuphase has some true gems. I'd love to see what your favorites are. Please post here!

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Yamaha got a lot of attention in the mid-seventies with their new CA line of integrated amps. I had a CA-1000, the top model in the series, 70wpc in Class AB, switchable to 15wpc Class A.

CA1000a.jpg

The amp was driving a pair of classic speakers, the NS-1000M ion AR stands:

Yamaha NS1000M

Sources were a Yamaha CT-700 tuner, playing CHUM FM back in the days when it was pure album rock with no commercial breaks, (I remember you, David Marsden) and a Technics SL-1400 turntable.

cover-image

The turntable's semi-auto feature hurt my audiophile cred, but the cartridges made up some ground:

Supex 900 moving coil:

Supex 900 Super MC cartridge and Supex SDT-77 Transformer ( Used ) Sold Supex_13

and an Ortofon M15E Super moving magnet:

Ortofon M15E Super Cartridge Photo #1482444 - Canuck Audio Mart

I had a magnesium headshell for the Supex. To change cartridges all I had to do was mount the other headshell, no rebalancing required.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

The classic Sondek LP12 revolutionized the audiophile world in the seventies with Linn's "source first" philosophy:

Linn S ondek LP 12

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

Early to mid-Seventies Naim NAP CB (chrome bumper) 160 BD (bolt down top case vs later sleeve design). Considered by some to be Naim's most musical amp, picked this beauty up for $460 last month and still sounding incredibly sublime after all of these years.

00000IMG_00000_BURST20200805082610566_COVER.jpg

SERVER CLOSET (in office directly below living room stereo):NUC 7i5BNH with Roon ROCK (ZeroZone 12V on the NUC)>Cisco 2690L-16PS switch>Sonore opticalModule (Uptone LPS 1.2)>

LIVING ROOM: Sonore opticalRendu Roon version (Sonore Power Supply)> Shunyata Venom USB>Naim DAC V1>Witchhat DIN>Naim NAP 160 Bolt Down>Chord Rumor 2>Audio Physic Compact Classics. OFFICE: opticalModule> Sonore microRendu 1.4> Matrix Mini-i Pro 3> Naim NAP 110>NACA5>KEF Ls50's. BJC 6a and Ghent Catsnake 6a JSSG ethernet; AC cables: Shunyata Venom NR V-10; Audience Forte F3; Ice Age copper/copper; Sean Jacobs CHC PowerBlack, Moon Audio DIN>RCA, USB A>C. Isolation: Herbie's Audio Lab. 

See the source image

Still one of the best Class A amps out there - the Pioneer M-22.

Makes a great room heater in the winter :D

Maybe I am biased because I have one, that has been rebuilt. Well worth checking out.

Current:  Daphile on an AMD A10-9500 with 16 GB RAM

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

Amplification - Benchmark AHB2 amplifier

Speakers - Revel M126Be with 2 REL 7/ti subwoofers

Cables - Tara Labs RSC Reference and Blue Jean Cable Balanced Interconnects

See the source image

I heard a set of these once. WOW - not the most dynamic but certainly stellar presentation - Ohm F loudspeakers.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590

13 minutes ago, botrytis said:

See the source image

Another speaker people should hear once, setup and powered properly - Polk SDA-SRS .

The imaging is just out of this world and the dynamics are scary.

I have these Polk SDA-SRS 1.2 and have own them for 25 years or something.

1 minute ago, Summit said:

I have these Polk SDA-SRS 1.2 and have own them for 25 years or something.

I would do a total rebuild of the crossovers (they are a bear to do but it really makes the sound so much better). I would also make sure all the drivers are totally sealed on the cabinet as driver seals will dry out and leak.

DAC - TEAC UD-501 DAC 

Pre-amp - Rotel RC-1590