IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

6 minutes ago, abase said:

..sorry, I did not want to say that your system is not working -  I have a diy system and it works also fine. But without cooling the card overheads in 2 to 3 minutes - I did not expect that for a network card...

_A7_2936.jpg

Those network cards are designed for servers where you have massive airflow from one side of the server to another. These servers have so many fans that they may sound like an airplane when you start them.

Servers are racked in cabinets and on the hot side of the cabinet (where the hot air blows out) you have massive A/C units, usually blowing from the floor, that cool down the hot air.

As we install between 2 and 6 of these per server, I've had thousands and thousands of these Solarflare cards going through my office. I've tried them on several occasions on my server and always had the same experience - my system sounds good with them in the first 20ish minutes and then it sounds worse than the onboard NIC. I have always attributed this to the higher temperature.

So I would really advise considering using these only if you have a proper cooling solution.

And even then, I wonder if the Intel I210-IS would end up being a better option. It should not be too hard to try cutting the PCIe power lanes and modding it for external power. If I were still doing DIY servers, I would be all over that and the copper plate @SK8 made.

Industry disclosure: 

Dealer for: Taiko Audio, Aries Cerat, Audio Mirror, Sean Jacobs

https://chicagohifi.com 

3 hours ago, abase said:

But without cooling the card overheads in 2 to 3 minutes - I did not expect that for a network card...

Enclosure fans are prescribed by the manufacturer. Your passive cooling system looks very massive. I wouldn't expect any problems. Is there enough thermal paste between the chip and the cooling plate? 

Taiko Audio also tested Solarflare NICs in the early days. As long as there was no overheating, the sound was very good. As they did not want to use passive cooling, it was not used. 

For me, the Solarflare X2522 is the best network card you can have in the consumer sector. Extremely low latency and jitter values and a very powerful chip (hence the heat development) make all the difference. 

1 hour ago, StreamFidelity said:

Is there enough thermal paste between the chip and the cooling plate? 

.yes it is - so I must thank you for spend so many information on your website. Today I followed your guide to update the firmware...

Today the card is running over 10 hours ;-). All my single mode transeivers are not working with the card. At the moment I`m using a multimode tranceiver..
I think that is the reason why I`m not satisfy with the sound...

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530 on LPS, cat 8(SOTM)  to SOTM Switch, all other internet behind a other switch, Fiber  to Melco S100 Switch modified with Pink Faun OCXO Ultra, Fiber to DIY-Server with Solarflare x2522 Nic, JCAT USB XE with JCAT OCXO, Sinopure USB Cabel to Holo Audio Red(DDC),Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable to Mola Mola Tambaqui, Transparent Interconnect to Holo Audio Bliss (as preamp) SPL S800 power amp feeding a Hifiman Susvara

All Switches and JCAT USB XE (Card and OCXO) powered by LPS (Plixir)

8 minutes ago, abase said:

.yes it is - so I must thank you for spend so many information on your website. Today I followed your guide to update the firmware...

Today the card is running over 10 hours ;-). All my single mode transeivers are not working with the card. At the moment I`m using a multimode tranceiver..
I think that is the reason why I`m not satisfy with the sound...

Could be! I always strongly preferred the sound of single mode transceivers.

Do you hear a difference in SQ with different NICs (ie. Solarflare, JCAT, onboard, etc) installed when playing music from a local drive? 

I have 4 different NICs and have been spending time comparing with both local and streamed sources. 

20 hours ago, abase said:

All my single mode transeivers are not working with the card. At the moment I`m using a multimode tranceiver..

I use singlemode fibers without any problems. But there are differences in quality. You need very good qualitiy transceivers. Some from Startech and Finisar are good. Take a look:

And they do exist: Differences in the quality of LWL (fiber optic cables) – Grigg Audio Solutions

7 hours ago, JackJohnson316 said:

Which Finisar SFP+ RJ45 Module does the Taiko Extreme use on their network card? Thanks

I bought this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BTWEE5K/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Have a look on the post #13294 of the Taiko Audio SGM Extreme : the Crème de la Crème thread in the whatsbestforum. A lot of good info there. It seems that the best is to use the module with the SFP+ Switch port, if you have one. 

I am completely detached from audio these days (as I peruse other projects/hobbies) but I have been using the Startech i210 single port sfp for over a year now with a Cisco AOC cable and am quiet content with the way it sounds. The server is connected to a custom modded Buffalo switch. Previously I was using Jcat Net femto but I always wanted to try a fiber nic which lead me to buy several other vendors - 10gtek and some others from ebay before I bought the Startech. I also have i350 based dual sfp nic but I did not have time to experimented much with it. Both the Startek & 10gtek sounded nice in my system but I marginally preferred the Startech. During my experiments with 10gtek, I have spoken to them at lengths about making a custom one with external +12v power (instead of feeding through pcie) and a better clock but they are only willing to do for large quantity order. If there is enough interest, maybe we can get them to build a custom one. Anyway, I am glad that folks are finding the Startech nic musical as I do.

IMG_3431.jpg.ccfc296a452254414809b3c7ec7ea11e.jpg

• 2 weeks later...