IGNORED

Building a DIY Music Server

Finished building a PC, ASUS WS C621E SAGE motherboard and Intel Xeon Silver 4210. I have already made the first attempt to run it and fortunately everything is fine. That is, both processors and 12 ECC Apacer RAM. Today, installing passive cooling and tomorrow, installing the system and programs. I have been using Euphony for two years, but now I want to use Windows instead. Then a benchmark with Euphony. Recently, I have installed several different Windows systems, versions: Windows Server 2022, Windows LTSC Enterprise 2021, Windows Tiny 11 Core and Windows 11 23H2 Ultralight "Micro 11".
I got the fewest processes on Windows Ultralight. 40 processes launched after installing the following programs: Roon, HQPlayer, Process Lasso and ASIO DAC Gryphon drivers. I know that an important element is to properly configure the Process Lasso program. Unfortunately, I have no experience with this program and I don't really know which processes and with what priority to assign to particular processors and cores. I have a request, maybe some of you have already done it and would like to share your knowledge. Thank you.

Over the years I’ve tryed Windows server 12, 16, 22 (always with GUI), Windows 10 and 10LTSC, all optimized, of which the latter I still have on a separate partition and occasionaly use for YouTube performances and to compare it with my main OS, which is Euphony with Stylus.

Even freshly installed, none of the Windows OS comes even close to Euphony (in my system to my ears of course). But what always bothered me to most of Windows was that the sound always seemed to degrade over time, no matter what I did. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Windows to work for me, because of the fine interfase of the Qobuz app.

On 1/28/2024 at 1:21 PM, Exocer said:

The guide referenced in @BCRich's post. He is the one who sent it to me. (I had totally forgotten it exists).

"Did you try Euphony on your Xeon server?" Yes and it worked without a hitch. The motherboard is very new so I'll refrain from making any definitive statement. Eupony sounds really good with the Xeon server. The SOTM build wasn't too far behind with Euphony. I think the SOTM "may" have a slight edge in clarity but that may be because:

1. I am using the SOTM TX-USBHubin, reclocked.

2. The SOTM TX-USBX10G feeds the TX-usbhubin via DIY cable, also relocked.

Both are reclocked by the SCLK-EX which sync with a Mutec Ref10. SCLK-EX is powered by an SJ DC4, as are the TX-USBHubin and TX-USBX10G. Also, that build uses the Femto NVME, also DC4 powered.

The Dual xeon build uses the JCAT USB XE + Master OCXO but no other specialty clocks.

Both were powered by the same exact ULPS V3 + Taiko DC-ATX.

With Euphony, i'll have to revisit listening with the SOTM board but I remember initially not being too impressed with the dual CPU build vs the SOTM early on. Several days in, I texted @Nenon saying "oh, ok I think i'm starting to get the fuss" because the Xeon build started settling in a bit and sounding better than before. I want to give this comparison a very thorough observation and in order to do that i'll have to re-insert the SOTM SMB Q370 and listen again after the Xeon build fully settles in. Let's give that a few weeks.

The SOTM is REALLY good and sounds much closer than you would expect given the size differences of the board, the 1 vs 2 cpus. My guess is the results will be depenedent upon the clock yo use for synching the SCLK-EX with has a tremendous effect there. The OCK-1 vs Ref10 feeding the SCLk-ex could convince just about any clock naysayer that clocks CAN and DO have an affect on what you hear.

Give me a few weeks and I promise i'll have more feedback on the SOTM vs Dual Xeon comparison with Euphony. Unfortunately I will not have the ability to conduct a complete apples to apples comparison with some fundamental changes (USB card differences, dual reclocked USB layers on the SOTM build) but I suspect it will be very educational info to have. As for people being worried about the older i9 CPU, I wouldn't lose sleep over it. It is becoming next to impossible to find new in box CPUs for the SMB Q370 though, which is unfortunate.

Euphony with the Xeon build sounds good. Windows 10 E LTSC 2021 / Tweaked Roon sounds better than Eupony on the Xeon and its not close.

Nenon's ULPS he was using prior to buying his Extreme is powering my dual Xeon Sage board.  I did add a Mundorf AG cap and replaced the chokes with the Martin Mug's.  Hynes SR7 DRs powering everything else.  I'm using 2 sCLK-EX's with the Mutec Ref10.  A SOtM NIC with the Sage, SOtM's switch and tX-USBultra, all connected to the sCLK's.  I have an endpoint, which is a SOtM modified NUC with all its clocks being tapped from the sCLK.  I can't get my JCAT USB XE to work properly with my Holo May DAC so if I want to go direct from Sage to DAC I need to use the board's USB port.  I'm going to buy the new SOtM USB card and see if that works with the May.  If it does I'll have one of my sCLK's changed to 20MHz.

Not too different from yours.  I'm still a strong believer in the mastered sCLK as you can see.  I also prefer the sound of it going through the tX-USBultra and modded NUC endpoint vs direct from the Sage USB.  It's much less fatiguing.  We'll see if that changes with the new SOtM USB card. I'd love for it to be equal or better.  I had bought the Sage before the SOtM motherboard came out or I probably would have gone that route.  That's why I'm very curious to know how yours compares.

To my ears Windows LTSC sounded muddy compared to Euphony or Audiolinux. I tuned everything with as much as I could find out about how the Extreme was configured.  I used Process Lasso.  Still not as good.  One thing I still haven't learned is what the Extreme's BIOS settings are.  If anyone knows please PM me.

3 hours ago, Lebouwsky said:

Over the years I’ve tryed Windows server 12, 16, 22 (always with GUI), Windows 10 and 10LTSC, all optimized, of which the latter I still have on a separate partition and occasionaly use for YouTube performances and to compare it with my main OS, which is Euphony with Stylus.

Even freshly installed, none of the Windows OS comes even close to Euphony (in my system to my ears of course). But what always bothered me to most of Windows was that the sound always seemed to degrade over time, no matter what I did. Don’t get me wrong, I’d love Windows to work for me, because of the fine interfase of the Qobuz app.

This has been my experience as well.  I've spent the past couple months listening with Audiolinux and Roon.  It has it's own sound that is very close to Euphony with Roon.  Prior I had been listening to Euphony with Stylus for a couple years. Version 4 made me want to experiment again.  Version 4 with Stylus has a bit of a bloom to it.  It's a wider and deeper soundstage, but the instruments blur a little.  Euphony with Roon tightens them up a bit, not to mention the Roon interface vs Stylus is worlds apart.  Everything I do on any platform is with HQPlayer upsampling to PCM 1536kHz

29 minutes ago, Johnseye said:

Nenon's ULPS he was using prior to buying his Extreme is powering my dual Xeon Sage board.  I did add a Mundorf AG cap and replaced the chokes with the Martin Mug's.  Hynes SR7 DRs powering everything else.  I'm using 2 sCLK-EX's with the Mutec Ref10.  A SOtM NIC with the Sage, SOtM's switch and tX-USBultra, all connected to the sCLK's.  I have an endpoint, which is a SOtM modified NUC with all its clocks being tapped from the sCLK.  I can't get my JCAT USB XE to work properly with my Holo May DAC so if I want to go direct from Sage to DAC I need to use the board's USB port.  I'm going to buy the new SOtM USB card and see if that works with the May.  If it does I'll have one of my sCLK's changed to 20MHz.

Not too different from yours.  I'm still a strong believer in the mastered sCLK as you can see.  I also prefer the sound of it going through the tX-USBultra and modded NUC endpoint vs direct from the Sage USB.  It's much less fatiguing.  We'll see if that changes with the new SOtM USB card. I'd love for it to be equal or better.  I had bought the Sage before the SOtM motherboard came out or I probably would have gone that route.  That's why I'm very curious to know how yours compares.

To my ears Windows LTSC sounded muddy compared to Euphony or Audiolinux. I tuned everything with as much as I could find out about how the Extreme was configured.  I used Process Lasso.  Still not as good.  One thing I still haven't learned is what the Extreme's BIOS settings are.  If anyone knows please PM me.

Very similar indeed! Where to begin.

So, Windows 10 LTSC bone stock iso with Roon Server on the DIY Extreme (let’s call it DE moving forward) extracted much more sound quality than Euphony on the same hardware (in my system). There is much more information, clarity, and dynamics. The dynamic range has actually shocked me several times with this setup. Soundstage size is bigger, there is nothing muddy about the presentation vs Euphony on this hw or the SOTM hardware. My guess is although motherboard USB on the Asus sage sounds good, it still goes through PCH, and with a system as transparent as yours makes it shortcomings more evident. I really wish the jcat worked with your May. The SOTM TX-USBX10G is absolutely killer too. I haven’t tried it in the sage build because I’m limited on space and mounting the sclk-ex in the HDPlex will be impossible. While I figure out my chassis situation I’ll keep the sclk-ex, Tx-USBHubin in a safe place within their existing build. I had to send the NIC from that build back to Adrian of Afterdark for some modifications/upgrades, so I won’t get to listen to the SOTM build again in its full glory until I get that card back. It can be a while.

In the interim, I am trying the Windows 11 @Kuba7777 brought to my attention. I am legitimately amazed at how lean it is compared to Windows 10 LTSC, which had a 12gb windows for. Windows 11 ultralight is MUCH smaller and I’ve had zero compatibility issues. So far, I like what I hear, but I also swapped out the QSA power cable I was using in my preamp because I promised someone I’d let them try it out… so I’ll need to switch back to Windows 10 LTSC to make another proper comparison. Luckily I have two Intel 900P drives, so swapping between each setup will be super easy.

Im shocked Windows didn’t beat Euphony on this hardware for you. It’s a lot better over here. I wonder what could be going on…the SOTM TX-USBX10G might be exactly what you need to get around the limitations of onboard usb if that is holding you back.

Finally found a little something that managed to beat Roon to the punch

https://archimago.blogspot.com/2023/12/do-bit-perfect-digital-sources-affect.html?showComment=1701603544262#c3288308245187547991

2) Symfonium is the most beautiful music player I've seen so far, even more than Roon, and has a great UPNP/DLNA protocol, gapless if the streamer on the other end is also gapless. Also, it works very well with external servers - I've tried all of them and Jellyfin is the best, by far - you can put it on a NAS or a Windows PC and control everything trough your phone with this app.

And then this one also seemed to be interesting

https://forums.slimdevices.com/forum/user-forums/mysqueezebox-com/1670427-bubbleupnp-tidal-into-lms-upnp-renderer-sounds-better-compared-to-tidal-in-lms?p=1671496#post1671496

I was a long time user of BubbleUPnP with JPLAY FEMTO, always turned on Eventing. Now I use LMS because it sounds more musical compared to JPLAY FEMTO.

Here's the registry location where a list of CBS (Component Based Servicing) packages are listed

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Component Based Servicing\Packages]

I wouldn't really install it myself due to security-related reasons, therefore I only extracted the registry file from Windows X-Lite 'Atomic 11' v2 by FBConan (1.1GB ISO image)

C:\Windows\System32\config\SOFTWARE

There were 770 CBS packages

https://pastebin.com/HiGge92c

Here's the latest version of Windows Validation OS

https://software-static.download.prss.microsoft.com/dbazure/988969d5-f34g-4e03-ac9d-1f9786c66749/22621.1702.230501-1115.ni_release_svc_prod1_amd64fre_en-us_VALIDATIONOS.iso

I was getting 528 CBS packages

https://pastebin.com/ymeJppPC

Finally I did the same thing for Win11PE as well

https://download.microsoft.com/download/5/2/5/525dcde0-c7b8-487a-894d-0952775a78c7/adkwinpeaddons/Installers/a6296c5a6eec9ca02b431ed0461b952d.cab

430 CBS packages were found

https://pastebin.com/ckMANLny

IMHO all of them would be considered a far cry from any kinda "full blown" flavors of Windows out there.

For instance, this particular 3.5GB ISO image (Windows Server Annual Channel for Containers) should be relatively small when compared to anything else

https://software-static.download.prss.microsoft.com/dbazure/888969d5-f34g-4e03-ac9d-1f9786c66749/25398.469.231004-1141.zn_release_svc_refresh_SERVERAZURESTACKHCICOR_OEMRET_x64FRE_en-us.iso

Grand total was 2,991 CBS packages and Pastebin actually told me that exceeded the maximum paste size of 512KB, therefore I had to try a different site instead

https://sharetext.me/bjtwvstdxu

I'm for sure going to compare a few builds of W10/W11 to Daphile (which is based on LMS)....I still secretly hope for a public release of Taiko's XDMI-NMS for dual Xeon clone builds as the player program has more than a small impact on the resulting sound (aside from BIOS and OS settings and tweaks)

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

they do interesting stuff at Alpha Audio

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530, another Fritz!box 5530 for audio only in bridged mode on LPS, cat8.1, Zyxel switch on LPS, Finisar <1475BTL>Solarflare X2522-25G, external wifi AP, AMD 9 16 core, passive cooling ,Aorus Master x570, LPSU with Taiko ATX, 8Gb Apacer RAM, femto SSD on LPS, Pink Faun I2S ultra OCXO on akiko LPS, home grown RJ45 I2S cable, Metrum Adagio DAC3, RCA 70-A and Miyaima Zero for mono, G2 PL519 tube amps. 

5 minutes ago, Tatomek7 said:

I think preference between Euphony and Windows depends on hardware configuration. Currently I'm in the Win camp. Some time ago I was doing comparisons between Win LTSC and Euphony and I preferred Win LTSC, then I switched to Win 10, but when the Win 10 disk stopped working, I went back to Euphony and have been listening to it for the last 6 months.

Just 2 days ago I switched back to Windows 10. Euphony + Roon was on leaner side. Win 10 + Roon offers fuller sound with more profound bass, but to be honest the OS disks were different. Euphony/Roon was installed on Intel Optane 900p and Win + Process Lasso + Audiophile Optimizer + Roon was installed on Jcat M2 Femto SSD. Unfortunately my PCIE NVME adapter stopped to work, so M2 disk was installed directly on the SAGE 621 MB. M2 powered from MB sounded too rough, bass was too “squared”. With external power ( Sean Jacobs ARC6 DC3 and ordinary DC wire ) sound was softer and bass was more rounded. In fact, w/o external DC power I would prefer Euphony, as bass from M2 disk was too boomy to my taste.

Importantly, Windows consumes more power and my processors reaches a higher temperature. Euphony is much better in this respect.

I'm waiting for the M2 PCIE adapter to arrive, so the comparison will be more fair.

It's not just external power you are hearing in the mix, the NVME slot on the sage MB is connected via a controller, the PCIe adapter straight to the CPU

I bought two identical new NVME SSD sticks to compare OS in a relatively quick way....let the games begin...

3 hours ago, Tatomek7 said:

Jakie temperatury osiągasz dzięki temu chłodzeniu? Niestety moje pasywne chłodzenie powinno działać lepiej.

After a few hours of listening, the temperature ranges from 42-48 degrees. System Windows + ROON.

The computer is placed in a shelf and unfortunately has poor ventilation there

37 minutes ago, NewOldman said:

who criticized Femto Nvme ssd ?

"

"Unfortunately totally useless"

Zzyzx Revelation Femto SSD - bit by bit? - Alpha Audio (alpha-audio.net)

that they do interesting stuff does not mean we have to agree with all conclusions...they never put the OS on the femto drive

doesn't Euphony use ALSA and a real time kernel? Always read (never tested) that Linux in principle has lower latency than Windows.