IGNORED

Analog Cable Help

Hi Guys - I’m looking for help from everyone, whether objective, subjective, or a combination of the two. 

I need to run a balanced interconnect 30 feet, under my floor. It will lay right next to and probably will touch a Romex 12AWG power cable under the floor.  The cable will connect from DACs and Preamps to amplifiers.

I’m a fan of Transparent Cables but a 30 foot balanced cable is going to be too costly. I looked around at Redco to create my own cable but the options were hard to understand. 

Question: Can you guys give me recommendations for this cable?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Star quad here as well, seems reasonably priced: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a12.html

Edit: Oh, balanced. They have that also, just have a look around their site.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, Jud said:

Star quad here as well, seems reasonably priced: https://www.ghentaudio.com/part/a12.html

Thanks Jud. Looks like I can order a 30' Gotham GAC-4, same as on the Ghent Audio site, with enhanced RF shielded Neutrik connectors for $78 from Redco. A 10' version from Ghent is $125 (likely $375 for 30'). I like to support HiFi manufacturers, but the price difference of roughly $300 per cable is a bit too large. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

40 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Thanks Jud. Looks like I can order a 30' Gotham GAC-4, same as on the Ghent Audio site, with enhanced RF shielded Neutrik connectors for $78 from Redco. A 10' version from Ghent is $125 (likely $375 for 30'). I like to support HiFi manufacturers, but the price difference of roughly $300 per cable is a bit too large. 

FWIW - I run the GAC-4 as well (2 pairs) > 20ft to monos and the 30ft to subs.  See rig layout in profile for ref.

Running a true balanced Pre eliminated the need for much more than really well engineered cables, plus I wasn’t about to pay for Uber $$.  That’s just me.

Rarely talked about cables though, but their specs are some of the best out there and have been happy thus far.  Like you stated, in those lengths one would be well into the $xx,xxx for name cables.

I had some made direct from Gotham and the other from Pro Audio LA

My rig

3 hours ago, Jud said:

I went to the Gotham site and found four different versions of the GAC-4 cable Looks like Ghent has the "best" one, so I'm not sure the price difference wasn't warranted. Still searching. 

28 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Parallel and always carrying current.

I would spend the $$ for a balanced cable run (or use WiFi!) and try very hard to get a bit of separation of audio & AC cabling.  You could get some sort of stand-offs to separate them.

It might not matter but 30 ft. is a lot

9 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wonder if squeezing some kind of conduit in there would help? Not sure I can do it, but maybe.

There's blue lightweight flexible plastic conduit the contractors around here call "Smurf tube" because of its color, which works very nicely for various types of electrical cables.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

To me, this is a 'killer decision' - get it wrong, and the SQ will always be subpar, no matter what I do elsewhere. I have no "this is what you should use!" answer, because the real efforts need to be made in getting the link organised so that no noise generating mechanisms can play a part.

29 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

I wonder if squeezing some kind of conduit in there would help? Not sure I can do it, but maybe.

Here at my home I used PVC drain pipe as conduit with two 45s instead of a 90 to make it easier to fish through. Have you considered just running the cables under the carpet with slits in and out? I know it seems like a hack, but something thin like mogami wouldn't likely make a hump- you could even remove a slice of pad. I have seen this in multi million dollar homes FWIW. I wanted mine readily replaceable though.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

3 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

will it run parallel to the Romex or across it at 90o?

A very good point. You should always cross it at 90 degrees wherever possible

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 hour ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

yes, esp. if metal - think Faraday Cage

even plastic would serve to act as a standoff

sure, you don't want to rip the wall out?

(you could just cut a horizontal slot for most of it - then redo the drywall & paint - or cover with diffuser panels and artwork)