IGNORED

Analog Cable Help

2 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

5. I can swear that my whole system's residual /background noise levels drops further and further each time I increase the shielding on my PC's and Signal cables.

You can hear that digitalis and harshness is banished and sweet Hi-frequencies, superior ambient sonic stage, superior thumping bass on my Abyss 1266 Phi/cc is increasing in clarity, depth of low bass( more like a Rumble and GROWL now!) are now more evident.

7. At the back of the DAC, I have done the same but with Mu - metal sheets to cover the RCA/XLR output cables. Even my IsoRegen and SMS 200Ultra Neo have their own Mu metal shields.

This material I had left over from a DIY preamp project.  Again a noticeable drop in residual noise and increase in clarity  in ambience / hall echo sound on Playback; (especially evident in Live albums well recorded say in 24bit/96khz. 

Yes, the process of eliminating all the little, niggling "not quite good enough" 's steadily advances the key, subjectively important qualities - all part of the step by step ... ... 😉.

Ooh my conduits are earthed linked back to the earth pin on 1 connection on my Furutech power back ETP - 60 thru a star ground wiring loom . I use a clip and ground wire on the conduit. Or I have an exposed part of the JSSG double shield which is then linked back to the Earth pin. Works that way. Otherwise it is only a mechanical shield. May have a bit with magnetic flux inductance. Of course I tried to measure RFI/EMF using a ebay portable meter, its sensitivity range was awfully inadequate. So back to Ears Mark I for subjective checks.

YMMV

Kelvin

4 hours ago, kelvinwsy said:

Ooh my conduits are earthed linked back to the earth pin on 1 connection on my Furutech power back ETP - 60 thru a star ground wiring loom . I use a clip and ground wire on the conduit. Or I have an exposed part of the JSSG double shield which is then linked back to the Earth pin. Works that way. Otherwise it is only a mechanical shield. May have a bit with magnetic flux inductance. Of course I tried to measure RFI/EMF using a ebay portable meter, its sensitivity range was awfully inadequate. So back to Ears Mark I for subjective checks.

YMMV

Kelvin

That's the way to earth (ground) the conduits. Does the clip come off though, would a banjo work for your conduit as an earth point?

image.png.5397ffc98badfd31098d912e10f47542.png

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

13 hours ago, esldude said:

I have my doubts this would work well, and for only 30' it seems overly complex. EMT is not air tight and has a lot of friction. Vacuum works best on larger diameters to increase the vacuum force area. Remember a perfect vacuum is only about 15 psi. An electrician would likely just use a fish tape. 1" EMT is a stretch too. One needs to factor in that you need to pull both cables simultaneously. Therefore it is the connector plus cable diameter plus some tape or what have you to attach the fish tape or rope. String is probably not strong enough to pull the cabling through either. Off course there are other things one can do such as use an extra XLR plug as the attachment, but this all seems iffy with the EMT conduit.

Chris, is a straight shot, or will there be bends? I kinda get this might be running though a joist bay from your description. If you do not want to use PVC plumbing, the grey electrical pvc or even solid metal conduit might be the ticket- both have sweep 90s available.

Forrest:

Win10 i9 9900KS/GTX1060 HQPlayer4>Win10 NAA

DSD>Pavel's DSC2.6>Bent Audio TAP>

Parasound JC1>"Naked" Quad ESL63/Tannoy PS350B subs<100Hz

9 minutes ago, Samuel T Cogley said:

Looks like you found a great sweet spot of quality and price.

I think so. I did some research after everyone offered such good advice and came to the conclusion that this cable is a really good one and that I can benefit from its shielding. 

Check out this PDF about the cables. A good read. 

UltraWhtPaper.docx.pdf

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

On 12/19/2019 at 11:12 AM, marce said:

I would worry about magnetic coupling from the Romex, especially if they are very close, screening out h fields is harder than e fields...

I use a fair bit of balanced cable,  I just get a decent one pro one so as to type I could not advise on...

If I was making one I would be tempted to use starquad configuration for your run, it does have some advantages when it comes to noise pick up.

Running the cable through a rigid or flexible metal sleeve should eliminate any possible interference from the Romex.  Or, a more practical solution would be to run a BX cable instead of Romex. It has a metal sheath and a twisted wire configuration. 

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

take pics & videos - sound track also (we want to hear how Minnesotans curse)

1 hour ago, AudioDoctor said:

Well gosh darn it anyway!!

Just finished up. There were a few f-bombs when I nearly sliced my fiber cables that run form the basement to the upstairs in half.

Photos to come. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

25 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

"without any other cables near it" - good idea

you need a sharper hole saw if it smoked; a nice cordless drill is good too

I had thought the floor was finished - are the holes in the listening room or next to  it?

Floor in the listening room is finished. Floor in the crawl spaces on each side of the listening room is unfinished.