IGNORED

Analog Cable Help

7 hours ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Hi Guys - I’m looking for help from everyone, whether objective, subjective, or a combination of the two. 

I need to run a balanced interconnect 30 feet, under my floor. It will lay right next to and probably will touch a Romex 12AWG power cable under the floor.  The cable will connect from DACs and Preamps to amplifiers.

I’m a fan of Transparent Cables but a 30 foot balanced cable is going to be too costly. I looked around at Redco to create my own cable but the options were hard to understand. 

Question: Can you guys give me recommendations for this cable?

Grimm Audio TPR.  I am using a 6' par between my Linnenberg DAC and Amp.  Assembled in USA with Neutriks connectors for 200.00 for the 30' pair.  Heavily shielded.

https://www.grimmaudio.com/pro-products/pro-cables/tpr/

331087785893?hash=item4d165eafa5:g:D6gAA

I may be able to run this conduit. If, the XLR connector will fit through it. 

1 in. x 50 ft. Galflex RWS Metallic Armored Steel Flexible Conduit

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Southwire-1-in-x-50-ft-Galflex-RWS-Metallic-Armored-Steel-Flexible-Conduit-55091601/202935698

southwire-conduit-55091601-64_1000.jpg

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Chris

I suspect that it may be very hard to get anything other than a cable without connectors through that.

Do you know of anyone locally capable of fitting crimp type connectors after you get the cable through ?

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

1 minute ago, sandyk said:

Chris

I suspect that it may be very hard to get anything other than a cable without connectors through that.

Do you know of anyone locally capable of fitting crimp type connectors after you get the cable through ?

Alex

True, I'm not sure how to pull the cable through that many feet. 

I'm sure I can find someone local, but I hate to call them over for a 30 second job like this. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

8 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

True, I'm not sure how to pull the cable through that many feet. 

I'm sure I can find someone local, but I hate to call them over for a 30 second job like this. 

Usually they'll pull string thru with a vacuum, and then use that to pull cable, but it does complicate things if the conduit has another cable in it.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

I wouldn't go anywhere near doing something like running the cable through a conduit, until I was 100% sure that there was no impact on the SQ - so, before paying much moolah for getting it installed, I would experiment with running it through in the clear light of the room itself; so that at least if it didn't work out on SQ terms, then all that is lost is the cost of the materials.

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

I once used a cat to pull a string through a (much larger) conduit, then used that to pull a wire.

Did you have some sardines or something near the distant end ?:)

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

3 minutes ago, esldude said:

I need to run some CAT6 thru some conduit soon, but I need bigger conduit or a smaller cat.

They sometimes use ferrets to pull cables. If the conduit is too narrow for a ferret, you'll need something else. Maybe a cockroach. Apparently they can be controlled with a suitable attachment.

3 minutes ago, mansr said:

They sometimes use ferrets to pull cables. If the conduit is too narrow for a ferret, you'll need something else. Maybe a cockroach. Apparently they can be controlled with a suitable attachment.

When I was 10 years old, I used a big June bug to pull a kite string over a tree limb.  Then used the kite string to pull a rope over the limb, and used that to make a big tire swing over a creek.  The squirrels were too hard to catch or control.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

7 minutes ago, mansr said:

With a cockroach all you will need to do is squirt a can of Mortein in their general direction to get them moving .

11 minutes ago, mansr said:

They sometimes use ferrets to pull cables. If the conduit is too narrow for a ferret, you'll need something else.

Nothing, unfortunately, is too narrow for a ferret. For your discerning enjoyment, a true classic:

https://www.outsideonline.com/1902036/king-ferret-leggers#close

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.