IGNORED

Bits is bits?

Just now, sandyk said:

NO !

You are the one that often uses "shorthand"  in your posts where other members often have to  2nd guess what you are trying to say, or even who you are referring to, or for that matter which post you were referring to. 

At least he's referring to something. You should try it some time.

21 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Let me try and break it down for the Sandman and his lapdog too:

A says that B (his partner) has measured noise inside a DAC caused it being transmitted by USB cables

one or bot of A & B say that they will publish this info

a few years later, mansr asks "where is this info?" (he apparently doubts that it is possible or that it was measured - I don't know which)

mansr repeats this question periodically over the next few years

He gets attacked for asking that question

I point out that ANYONE can ask such a valid question

some austrailians act snarky perhaps due to BP issues and not reading correctly

Mansr is not being criticised for asking for measurements. He is being criticised for his nasty personal attacks including referring to John's designs (and other qualified members including Gordon Rankin recently IIRC) as Snake oil.

This is highly UNPROFESSIONAL behaviour.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

5 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

We don't need perfect isolation, if noise is 140 dB down that should be just fine.

Of course, you'd have to... measure to know that.

The problem, as always, in the audio world is that people are measuring what's easy to measure, and what looks incredibly impressive as a number - we're back to searching where the streetlight shines brightly, 'cause it makes everything so much easier to see ... 😉.

Technical types want numbers, and especially awe inspiring ones, to confirm their thinking - the smell of scientism wafts up far too easily; and inhibits forward movement - when people know things "ain't that simple", conflict ensues ...

10 hours ago, Ralf11 said:

Let me try and break it down for the Sandman and his lapdog too:

A says that B (his partner) has measured noise inside a DAC caused it being transmitted by USB cables

one or bot of A & B say that they will publish this info

a few years later, mansr asks "where is this info?" (he apparently doubts that it is possible or that it was measured - I don't know which)

mansr repeats this question periodically over the next few years

He gets attacked for asking that question

I point out that ANYONE can ask such a valid question

some austrailians act snarky perhaps due to BP issues and not reading correctly

OK, fair enough. So ‘acid test’. Let’s have the fuse testing that proves that SQ improvements are hooey 😊

On 10/18/2019 at 4:30 AM, mansr said:

The physics of bridges has been well-known for centuries. There is nothing mysterious about it.

This is really a meaningless statement. One could argue that the physics has been known since Isaac Newton.

What is important and fundamental to the issue is what is known about bridge design and engineering; IOW, how to apply the known physics to the actual design and construction of a bridge. The nature of the materials available for construction and relative costs also factor into the equation. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but I do know a bit, having earned a degree in civil engineering a long time ago. New design challenges have continually presented themselves to allow for the construction of bridges with increasingly longer spans. Lack of proper maintenance has been a factor in a number of bridge failures. 

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

1 hour ago, Allan F said:

This is really a meaningless statement. One could argue that the physics has been known since Isaac Newton.

What is important and fundamental to the issue is what is known about bridge design and engineering; IOW, how to apply the known physics to the actual design and construction of a bridge. The nature of the materials available for construction and relative costs also factor into the equation. I don't claim to be an expert on the subject but I do know a bit, having earned a degree in civil engineering a long time ago. New design challenges have continually presented themselves to allow for the construction of bridges with increasingly longer spans. Lack of proper maintenance has been a factor in a number of bridge failures. 

One would be wrong.  Newton did not study electro-magnetism relevant to electronic circuits.

mansr is correct, tho as several pointed out there can be some factors to take account of.

1 hour ago, Albrecht said:

It's good that that never happens, - as we all know that with no "objective" (and I say this in terms of the fact that the so-called objectivists on these forums are not objectivist at all, but in fact, naysaying subjectivists), - claims being made. "This might enhance performance" is the claim made by high end manufacturers,  "try it and see if it works for you and your system: for it will never work on someone's sharp boombox."

If you don't like science fiction movies, - you are likely not going to like Blade Runner.

With the 6 or 7 troll posters here, - no amount of evidence presented will ever sway them. That is not science. Science is constantly evolving and changing with the presentation of new evidence. Instead of examinig the evidence, - the person who presents the evidence is vilified and demonized. This is especially the case with computing industry engineers who've come into the high end audio industry with ideas inspired by computing products applied to high performance audio. 

Likely these people are seen as "traitors" to entrenched, brick-wall, cult-of-personality people who are certain that everything presented will not work, - no matter the evidence to the contrary. This is not science, or scientific investigation, it is medieval Catholic Church style, blind, entrenched, "anti-reason."

Scientific investigation and discovery by its very nature requires an open mind, and directed questions. 

Can you share with us your qualifications for lecturing on the nature of science?

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

2 minutes ago, pkane2001 said:

An open mind devoid of knowledge and understanding is an empty mind. That's the last place I'd expect a new discovery to come from.

Exactly!

If we take our friend's argument to its logical extreme, we would have research into the claims of this Australian naturopath:

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2019/oct/03/naturopath-who-said-bicarbonate-soda-cures-cancer-banned-for-life-by-health-watchdog

A naturopath who told vulnerable clients that their cancer was a fungus that could be cured with bicarbonate soda rather than through conventional medical treatment has been barred from practising for life, according to the New South Wales Health Care Complaints Commission.

This is not a science issue - it's an integrity issue. The best design in the world will fail, if the implementation is poorly executed - to my eyes, nearly audio systems are full of subtle weaknesses, which are not given sufficient attention - they add up, to produce the type of sound that people recognize immediately as being sub-par. Rectifying each of the 'mistakes', poor choices - one by one - brings one closer to a setup which is adequately 'sorted' - the "magic" happens when the mind doesn't have to fight its way through, to discard sounds that it knows are not right, don't fit in.

So, desired SQ results, when the correct QA is applied.

42 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

I am also interested to hear this, but as with Blackmorec I doubt it will be answered

Can you share with us your qualifications for lecturing us on the subject of Electronics ?

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

Just now, sandyk said:

Can you share with us your qualifications for lecturing on the subject of Electronics ?

Has he ever done that?

1 minute ago, kumakuma said:

Has he ever done that?

You must have jumped in within seconds before I corrected my post .

Can you share with us your qualifications for lecturing us on the subject of Electronics ?

2 minutes ago, sandyk said:

You must have jumped in within seconds before I corrected my post .

Doesn't change my response.

When has he lectured us on electronics?