IGNORED

Bits is bits?

20 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

Again, you mis-understand how science works.  If you are going to claim you are 100% science (whatever that means) please get the basics right.

Of course, you are free to buy anything you want based on any claims made by Dr. Wolcott's Medicine Show - just please don't mislead other people, who come here for help on purchasing decisions.

And, for the record, I regard USB cable transmitted noise as a viable hypothesis for SQ alterations - i.e. it is not impossible tho neither is it yet proven, nor established as a factor for all DACs, only some or how many, which designs, etc.

Common Ralf, who would trust you on hi-if related issues when you can’t even get your facts about snake oil right?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/snake-oil-salesmen-knew-something/

9 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Common Ralf, who would trust you on hi-if related issues when you can’t even get your facts about snake oil right?

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/snake-oil-salesmen-knew-something/

Did you actually read the article?

Of course, most 19th-century snake oil salesmen did not, in fact, sell this particular product. Even those hucksters who did sell actual snake oil would likely have sold the rattlesnake variety, nearly useless for any ache-relieving medicinal purpose. 

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

7 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Summing it up: the cable quality differences are not responsible for soundscape, imaging, SNR issues, unless poor hardware design allows the cable to have such unexpected effects.

John

My own extensive testing in the USB area suggests that mediocre quality, and many cables longer than more than around 2 1/2 metres do appear to degrade SNR, and not just with Audio, as a blurring of detail in Digital video can also be seen compared with the original video file.

Regards

Alex

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

43 minutes ago, Blackmorec said:

Actually I did, although I’ve known the story for years.  Surely even you can understand that you can’t condemn a product because the knock-offs and fakes don’t work 😊

I wouldn't count on it though . :D 

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

5 hours ago, kumakuma said:

How about location on the planet?

There is anecdotal "evidence" on this site that audio components function differently in the Southern Hemisphere.

Try taking off the ear muffs and Hoodies that you use to help protect against chilblains etc.  in freezing Canada and other such areas when listening to music .

:P

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Surely even you can understand that you can’t condemn a product because the knock-offs and fakes don’t work 😊

True enough but your "open minded" approach to testing would have us ingest both real and fake snake oil, regardless of potential damage to the body.

22 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Try taking off the ear muffs and Hoodies that you use to help protect against chilblains etc.  in freezing Canada and other such areas when listening to music .

:P

Even Canadians don't wear ear muffs inside and hoodies don't provide much protection against the cold. Perhaps you meant parkas.

16 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

Even Canadians don't wear ear muffs inside and hoodies don't provide much protection against the cold. Perhaps you meant parkas.

Whatever it is then  that prevents people like yourself from hearing obvious differences that many others can hear, and NOT just in the Southern Hemisphere can hear.

Perhaps it's just a simple case of your brain not letting you hear what many members from North America  and even from Europe also report hearing in Rajiv's massive thread too ? :P 

1 hour ago, Blackmorec said:

Actually I did, although I’ve known the story for years.  Surely even you can understand that you can’t condemn a product because the knock-offs and fakes don’t work 😊

still waiting for you to answer the question about the science expertise you CLAIMED to have

12 minutes ago, sandyk said:

Whatever it is then  that prevents people like yourself from hearing obvious differences that many others can hear, and NOT just in the Southern Hemisphere can hear.

Perhaps it's just a simple case of your brain not letting you hear what many members from North America  and even from Europe also report hearing in Rajiv's massive thread too ? :P 

yes, kuma - you need to dial up the expectation bias

maybe you can then satisfy the telco maintenance supervisor

2 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

still waiting for you to answer the question about the science expertise you CLAIMED to have

I'm no scientist.  However, I believe his level of scientific expertise is transparently transmitted via his posts.  Most especially those where he asks for someone to prove that cables and fuses don't work.  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

8 hours ago, pkane2001 said:

They work just fine for what they are designed to do - carry the signal or protect equipment from over-current. Any other effects, like soundstage changes, veils lifted, more palpable mids, smoother highs, etc., are up to those who claim them to provide evidence, since these claims are well outside the norm for these devices. Nevertheless, there are plenty of tests out there showing differences that are well below audibility.

As marce said, empirical is the go - which is why I developed the attitude I have to this day, over 3 decades ago.

Well below audibility ... oh, dear ... I'll try and make this really, really simple - for all the bright minds here 🙂 ... I acquire two cars, one from the top of the luxury car class of vehicle, and the other a super cheap, modern Asian runabout. I 'prepare' the fancy beast by just adjusting, twisting various bits of it so that it constantly makes, at random, various rattling, squeaking and scraping noises while moving over most roads- it's a veritable cacophony of irritating background filler on your journey. But I carefully 'sort out' the cheapie so it's "quiet as a mouse"; every last trace of noise not relevant to normal vehicle operation is absent, under all conditions. And then ask someone to choose which car they wish to take on a relaxing holiday trip ...

The "veils lifted, more palpable mids, smoother highs, etc", excellent soundstage, are merely the audio system equivalent of that vehicle which just does what it's supposed to - carry you around with making you aware all the time that "it's not perfect".

9 hours ago, John Dyson said:

Summing it up: the cable quality differences are not responsible for soundscape, imaging, SNR issues, unless poor hardware design allows the cable to have such unexpected effects. 

And I agree also ... unfortunately, human hearing is more sensitive to qualities in sounds than most designers are prepared to consider - so it's not "poor" design, but rather the body of knowledge that has been built up, that is relied upon, is not adequate.

Doing tests of hearing with sine waves, etc, doesn't count - humans are extremely sensitive to sounds that have meaning - which is why there is such a shortfall of understanding.

18 minutes ago, fas42 said:

The "veils lifted, more palpable mids, smoother highs, etc", excellent soundstage, are merely the audio system equivalent of that vehicle which just does what it's supposed to - carry you around with making you aware all the time that "it's not perfect".

When these are the result of swapping a fuse, they are merely the equivalent of someone using their imagination.