IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

2 hours ago, Doak said:

I am seeking to simplify the process of playing back digital music files with a possibly simultaneous result of simplicity and enhanced sound quality.

Not here to prove anything.

Not here to argue.

“Why’s” are nice to know, but it’s the “What’s” that really matter. 

Besides, I’d rather be listening to music. 

OK, I am confused now.  I already have a system which is super simple to operate and playback any music in my library.  Everything  is accessed from a tablet and with a couple of taps I can play any music in my library in a coupe of seconds with no issues and no agonizing over anything, and the sound quality of the source is fantastically good.  And my library can be as huge  as many TBs, or for those who enjoy streamed music from the Internet (which is not me though) I hear Quobuz offers almost unlimited access to music of all genres with equal quality to home based playback (I have not tested myself, i play only locally stored files here).

What could be simpler, fiddling around with tiny SD cards?  i am just not sure i understand what "problem" SD card based playback would solve, and how?

I have no issue with whatever you might like to do/try with your system, but your stated desire for simpler process and better sound does not seem like something which would be served by an SD card player?

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

3 hours ago, Doak said:

I am seeking to simplify the process of playing back digital music files with a possibly simultaneous result of simplicity and enhanced sound quality.

Not here to prove anything.

Not here to argue.

“Why’s” are nice to know, but it’s the “What’s” that really matter. 

Besides, I’d rather be listening to music. 

Good attitude, and who knows? You may prove those of us with conventional attitudes have really missed something. ;) 

I tend to think that isolating the playback computer from the storage buys a lot more than the media it is playing from. Along with that, low power playback machines seem both to allow tuning of the OS a bit, and almost always sound better to me. Thus, an iPad can sound breathtakingly beautiful playing a network stream, better than with locally stored files. 

I have found that SD cards are about as “noisy” a storage medium, electrically speaking, as there is. I would therefore avoid putting it in the playback machine, but it will be fun to see what you come up with. That’s the point though isn’t it? Having fun trying something cool, even if it turns out to not work as expected.

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

5 hours ago, barrows said:

OK, I am confused now.  I already have a system which is super simple to operate and playback any music in my library.  Everything  is accessed from a tablet and with a couple of taps I can play any music in my library in a coupe of seconds with no issues and no agonizing over anything, and the sound quality of the source is fantastically good.  And my library can be as huge  as many TBs, or for those who enjoy streamed music from the Internet (which is not me though) I hear Quobuz offers almost unlimited access to music of all genres with equal quality to home based playback (I have not tested myself, i play only locally stored files here).

What could be simpler, fiddling around with tiny SD cards?  i am just not sure i understand what "problem" SD card based playback would solve, and how?

I have no issue with whatever you might like to do/try with your system, but your stated desire for simpler process and better sound does not seem like something which would be served by an SD card player?

IMO there is nothing simple about the music playback system you describe.

6 minutes ago, Doak said:

I've repeatedly seen the hard evidence that many people who are interested feel that it is "just not there yet" for them - and I agree: For too many people it IS just not "there" yet. 

Maybe the problem is partly in the definition. 

Literally millions of people use streaming network audio every day, mostly without complexity or problems. Consider a large percentage of cell phone users use Apple, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, and dozens of other services. 

It simply cannot be too complex or difficult, or millions of people would not use them.  So you may be talking with folks who are creating some kind of self fufilling prophecy. 

You can get the same simplicity in the audiophile world, if you look at things from the right perspective. Create and/or install reliable networking, good internet connections, good software you don’t have to constantly fiddle with - and playback becomes as simple and reliable as streaming Apple Music on your phone. Even easier actually. 

In fact, your phone will probably be one of your playback endpoints - and youcan and should rxpect it to be every bit as reliable as whem you stream any other service. 

Now audiophiles will argue endlessly about this or that making a difference - everything from ethernet cables to DRAM brands. Ignore all that until you get a simple reliable system up. Then, if you want, play away with anything you want to. It will be fun because it is play - not grudging work.

-Paul

Anyone who considers protocol unimportant has never dealt with a cat DAC.

Robert A. Heinlein

1 hour ago, Paul R said:

Maybe the problem is partly in the definition. 

Literally millions of people use streaming network audio every day, mostly without complexity or problems. Consider a large percentage of cell phone users use Apple, Tidal, Spotify, Pandora, Amazon, and dozens of other services. 

It simply cannot be too complex or difficult, or millions of people would not use them.  So you may be talking with folks who are creating some kind of self fufilling prophecy. 

You can get the same simplicity in the audiophile world, if you look at things from the right perspective. Create and/or install reliable networking, good internet connections, good software you don’t have to constantly fiddle with - and playback becomes as simple and reliable as streaming Apple Music on your phone. Even easier actually. 

In fact, your phone will probably be one of your playback endpoints - and youcan and should rxpect it to be every bit as reliable as whem you stream any other service. 

Now audiophiles will argue endlessly about this or that making a difference - everything from ethernet cables to DRAM brands. Ignore all that until you get a simple reliable system up. Then, if you want, play away with anything you want to. It will be fun because it is play - not grudging work.

-Paul

Just calling em as I see em, Dr. Paul. 

7 minutes ago, Paul R said:

(grin)  Well, I am kind of excited to see what you find out, so please do tell about the process and the results. It does sound like you are finding a way to have some fun!  :)

UPS just dropped (literally) my "new to me" Aries - whole different machine, to my happy surprise. 

Haven't plugged it into the system yet though and interestingly I am in no hurry.

The sun is shining and its 78 here.... Think I'd rather take the 3 mile walk  we've staked out.  

It'll still be here when we return.

On 1/30/2019 at 1:55 PM, Norton said:

in spirit if not letter of request:

https://www.ecdesigns.nl/en/info/upl16

I use one with companion DAC -  best RBCD replay I’ve heard for detail retrieval.  <€800 the pair.

Alternatively, you can get good s/h deals on the Resonessence Mirus (factory upgradeable to signature pro spec)

If this little gizmo handled WAV files up to 24-192 my quest would likely be done - though it is a bit on the "hair shirt" side of things. 

I expect there are some really good reasons why it does not.

Wonder what the tradeoffs might be to accommodate higher resolution files?

9 hours ago, Monge said:

Hi Doak,

Thanks for creating this thread.

I’m following this thread with great interest.

Some say that SLC SD/mSD is the cards to get for Music playback. But these cards are expensive.

Regards and good luck with your research

Monge

You’re Welcome, Monge.

Appreciate your interest, and thanks for the tip.

Seems I’ve some research to do. 👍