IGNORED

"Audiophile" SD Card Transport?

Doak

20 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Pretty sure the USB port on the X5 was an input—not an output. 

Hmmmm.  I think that an SD card is the source.  I don't see a USB port of any sort, now that I look at that picture more carefully, but I might be missing something.

https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/aune-aune-x5s-24bit-dsd-digital-audio-player-black.html?___store=auneeng&___from_store=aunenl

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

18 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Pretty sure the USB port on the X5 was an input—not an output. 

OK, now I can see that the outline around the USB connector is separated from the adjacent jacks. Which leads me to: What the heck is that USB input DOING there? 

A “maybe” does come to mind: Devices with USB outs like computers, phones possibly, can plug in their output is processed/buffered to be sent on to a DAC. 

Maybe?

What’s your take, Alex?

13 minutes ago, Mike Rubin said:

Hmmmm.  I think that an SD card is the source.  I don't see a USB port of any sort, now that I look at that picture more carefully, but I might be missing something.

https://www.auneaudio-europe.com/index.php/aune-aune-x5s-24bit-dsd-digital-audio-player-black.html?___store=auneeng&___from_store=aunenl

Superdad is referencing the post with pics of the older black X5 model.

Rear shot has USB mini-B input jack at bottom right. 

6 minutes ago, Doak said:

OK, now I can see that the outline around the USB connector is separated from the adjacent jacks. Which leads me to: What the heck is that USB input DOING there? 

A “maybe” does come to mind: Devices with USB outs like computers, phones possibly, can plug in their output is processed/buffered to be sent on to a DAC. 

Maybe?

What’s your take, Alex?

Sorry, I appear to have been looking at a different Aune device in the link that I posted.

Living room:  Synology 218+ NAS > NUC 10 i7 > HQP Embedded > xfinity Xfi Router > Netgear GS348 Switch > Sonore Optical Module Deluxe > Sonore Signature Rendu SE Optical Tier 2 > Okto DAC 8 Stereo > Topping Pre90 Preamp > Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini > Revel F32 Concertas

Computer Desk System: Synology DS-218+ NAS > Dell XPS 8930/NUC 10 i7  > HQP Desktop > xfinity Xfi Router > EtherRegen > ultraRendu > Topping D90 DAC > Audioengine A5+'s

Gotcha. 

56 minutes ago, Superdad said:

It is just another input--but likely not a terrific one.  Here is a shot of the original X5 board, where you can see the USB data lines going to a USB PHY/protocol processor:

26406-4.jpg.22a77ed3b59c98ad460bebdbc234ed5d.jpg

Certainly it could be used as a USB>S/PDIF converter, and contrary to what you wrote earlier, it seems that the X5 also had versions with a DAC module on a daughter board.

Wow: Good Stuff. That is one gorgeous pic of the X5 PCB.  👍

Won’t ask where you get all this,,, might have to shoot me or something. 

After doing quite a bit of listening today I decided to plug the power supply of the X5s into my Blue Circle power conditioner high is where All the rest of my front equipment is powered. Only fair, right?  This resulted in some reduction in “kick-ass” while seeming to drop the noise floor considerably while adding a significant dose of refinrment. 

BTW: The 6VDC PSU supplied with the X5s is purported to be a linear design. I will see if I can open it up to check it out. 

Really starting to wonder what is going to happen when I level the playing field even more with the coax out vs coax out experiment. 😲

As I mentioned back in post #100 there was some challenge to getting the X5s up, going, and optimized. Internet research answered my questions and prayers though - mainly how to get the machine to speak English - getting the displayed menus to change from Chinese to English, and the REALLY important FACT that ONLY FAT32 formatted SD cards are playable by X5s. One more helpful item was where to find updated firmware and how to install.

Here are those helpful sites:

http://aquataur.hilpold.net/aquataur/musicstuff/aunex5s.html#Subjective_SoundQuality

http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=/Home/Article/gjxzhz.html

https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/

https://forum.xda-developers.com/tmobile-lg-g3/general/guiformat-fat32-simple-windows-sd-card-t2960190

https://www.manualslib.com/manual/1028036/Aune-X5s.html#manual

While very well translated PDF of the manual is included on an 8GB SD card shipped with the X5s along with recovery firmware, I found perusing the manual online prior to purchase useful. 

None of the "problems" that were presented were daunting or difficult. Actually all of the above was done in about 30 minutes.

Aune does have available an upgrade power supply that is said to be compatible with all of their "X class" components: 

http://en.auneaudio.com/index.php?s=Home/Article/detail/id/136.html

This French sales link has a better view of interior and additional info:

https://www.audiophonics.fr/en/hifi-power-supply/aune-xp1-external-linear-power-supply-for-aune-x1sx5sx7st1se-black-p-11121.html

Interestingly the supplied PS is rated "6v 1.5A" while the XP1 rating is "9v .5A" - not impressive IMO.

Also not impressed with the innards of the XP1. Since it would cost about $100 to get an XP1 here, it seems to me that one may be able to do better for that amount of $$. Comments and opinions encouraged, please. I am nowhere near expert on this stuff. 

aunexp1.jpg

aunexp1 int.jpg

While that power supply does not look impressive, the price is certainly reasonable.  I would make a supply much much better for that.  But of course the cost would be way higher... perhaps $400.00 or $500.00 for something capable of 1.5A @8VDC continuous and easily capable of 2A+ for peak currents.

Of course the onboard local regulators are still really important, I doubt this card player is using the best local regs, or that many of them given the price.  There is only so much a really good external power supply can do, so it may not make sense to go too far in the upgrade department if the local regulators and decoupling on the main board are not top notch.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Today I have had both the Aune X5s and the Auralic Aries streaming via coax outputs to the Lampi DAC.

Have not had the time, and will not today, to do in depth listening though  can relate this:  As I did expect, the sound of the X5s and Aries is closer now.  Offhand I'd say the Aries remains the more refined sound though again nothing sticks out to indicate that the X5s embarrasses itself in any particular way. 

More in coming days along with some fun with power supplies. 

Ahhhhh.... 

2 minutes ago, Monge said:

@Doak Thanks for sharing your impressions 😀

Do you notice any difference In SQ berween different brand of SD cards?

Cheers Monge

Ahhhh,,, haven’t “gone there” as I just have a couple on hand at this time.

Expect that’ll change though.  What I’ve been listening to is a Sandisk.  Loading up a higher spec Transcend right now. 

Any buzz on what’s good?

No plans on going for the way out expensive armored types I’ve read about. 

*** Possibly important note:

I am not able to test the x5s' DSD capabilities. 

Specs say it streams DSD64 but my Lampizator's coax input does not accept DSD - that's the main reason I've been using the Lampi's USB input. 

The Aune x5s has NO problem with 24-192 files. 

*** One other caveat: The "remote" control will only work within about 4 feet of the unit. This fact along with the unit's diminutive dimensions make it more and perhaps perfectly suited for desktop duty.

Although, I usually just start it up and let it go (it has a "Play All" menu choice) - more relaxing that way anyway. 

I've found sitting with an iPad bearing literally unlimited streaming/listening possibilities to be dangerous to my relaxation.... but maybe that's just me.

4 minutes ago, sligolad said:

The best value you will get for an SLC card is here and various US sites on Ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Dell-M2MD6-8GB-SD-Card-R720-SC8000/283348922030?hash=item41f8e96eae:g:wIYAAOSwuwlcRzBn

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dell-M2MD6-Compellent-SC8000-8GB-SLC-SD-Flash-Card/302681130297?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2649

These are reclaimed but worth it for an improved sound with SD Card playback.

Hard to come by but great value for money.

Needs some work once received to merge and reformat to a single partition.

If you do commit to SD Card playback then going i2s out from a simple SD card player into the Lampizator will astonish you compared to the best you can do with USB with all the bells and whistles.

I have given up on USB in after discovering SD Card playback.

My Big7 will be retired after discovering what a €700 micro sd player can do direct to Pre amp.

The QLS361 line out with slc card out performs my Big7.

Amazing info - particularly on the QLS361. Damned interesting, thanks.

Wish my Lampi had a I2S input. Don't particularly want to get into modifying it either.

BTW: I am already getting the feeling that the "goofy complicated" and expensive Band-aids to improve USB will soonish be history - for me anyway. 

Also retiring the trick 'puter and all of the trick ways to play music files?

18 minutes ago, sligolad said:

The best value you will get for an SLC card is here

What’s different about these cards?  They don’t seem particularly cheap compared to new SDXC etc, so I must be missing something to do with the  SLC designation?