IGNORED

Farad supercap DC power supplies

I have not used a Paul Hynes PS, although feedback is always very good; however, I do have Farad3s on my Qutest, MScaler and etherReGen. 

I find the F3s sound terrific and do not run hot, FYI. Excellent musical detail. 

I never ran the stock Qutest PS. I *think* I initially powered the Qutest with a Shanti I had on hand, and adding the Farad3 was significant.

Relevant info:

--Fuse upgrade is HIFi Tuning. 
--Furutech AC Inlet

--Level 1 DC Cable (Level 2 on MS and eRG). Copper. 
--PCs are all Analysis Plus Pro Oval

--Cord related PS devices are plugged into a PI Audio hybrid UberBuss/DigiBuss power supply.

Mattijs is very helpful and responsive, should you have questions. I quite like the Farad3s in the system here.

I'm MarkusBarkus and I approve this post.10C78B47-4B41-4675-BB84-885019B72A8B.thumb.png.adc3586c8cc9851ecc7960401af05782.png

• 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, MarkusBarkus said:

Looks good!

Question: did you end up twisting the wire for the cables, or running them parallel? There was some back and forth on that topic, as I recall.

What did you do?

Happy testing tomorrow...

I say twisted.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twisted_pair

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

21 hours ago, RickyV said:

I'm pretty sure that Sean Jacobs runs his parallel in his DC cables but I will go and check my DC4 umbilical cables later  . . . . . .

Owner Wave High Fidelity digital cables :

Antipodes Oladra (WAVE Storm BNC spdif RF noise filtering cable to Mscaler)

Dave (with Sean Jacobs ARC6 and SJ Cap Board) + WAVE Storm dual BNC RF noise filtering cables

ATC150 active speakers.

A brief description of how the dc cable is made: mundorf wire silver gold wire was used
https://www.mundorf.com/audio/en/shop/cables/SilverGold,Wire-2x-0,50mm/?card=2817
 one of the best for this application, two per pole, As a dielectric I used a slightly larger duct to take advantage of the air benefits as a dielectric medium Made of red teflon -pvc light,

The solder I used is Mundorf 9% silver gold
https://www.bukalapak.com/p/komputer/aksesoris-226/kabel-usb/2ysre18-jual-grosiran-50cm-timah-mundorf-supreme-high-end-silver-solder-9-5-silver-  1-gold-half-meter? From = list-product & keyword = meter% 20timah% 20solder% 20silver & funnel = omnisearch & product_owner = normal_seller & pos = 2 & cf = 1 & ssa = 1 & sort_origin = relevansi & search_sort_default = true & promoted = 0

I preferred this solder cause, probably is the most hard solder more than any other.Also gold is the perfect match for silver gold wires.  Because it has 9% silver,

I also use furutec oyaide wbt cardas wonder solder.  but for this application I think is the perfect choice

A single twist I gave in the conductors so as not to increase the resistance.

Τhe formation of the conductors (wire) and the way of gluing them with the plugs in order to get the maximum sound effect of this construction.

On 7/21/2020 at 2:29 PM, MarkusBarkus said:

.. I do have Farad3s on my Qutest, MScaler and etherReGen. 

I find the F3s sound terrific and do not run hot, FYI. Excellent musical detail. 

I never ran the stock Qutest PS. I *think* I initially powered the Qutest with a Shanti I had on hand, and adding the Farad3 was significant.

Relevant info:

--Fuse upgrade is HIFi Tuning. 
--Furutech AC Inlet

--Level 1 DC Cable (Level 2 on MS and eRG). Copper. 
--PCs are all Analysis Plus Pro Oval

--Cord related PS devices are plugged into a PI Audio hybrid UberBuss/DigiBuss power supply.

I have a Qutest as well (but no MScaler yet...) being fed by a battery supply (PowerAdd Pilot Pro 5 for the 5V power). The signal side is fed by an Uptone LPS 1.2 + ISO REGEN combo. (The LPS 1.2 is being fed by a separate PowerAdd Pilot Pro 5 battery to maintain galvanic isolation).

I recently upgraded my Sonore ultraRendu's power from the DC output of one of the batteries to a 6V Farad Super3 [w/ Furutech + SR Orange fuse] using the standard tin-plated copper output cable (and I used a Nordost Blue Heaven power cable for input) and the results were profound. Seriously impressive, 'component-level' upgrade.

I was not expecting this just by powering the ultraRendu differently... in fact, upgrading the uR's supply further was not in near-term cards at all. I'd planned to try a Farad on the Qutest first.. but then this souped-up 6V supply showed up on eBay for a seriously sweet price.

Now, I may be getting a double-whammy by achieving proper galvanic isolation along with the seriously improved power stability and delivery the Farad Super3 affords... either way, what a difference! I'm hearing backing vocals coming out of the woodwork and low-level detail retrieval in spades. Voices sound more natural and rich, instruments have greater separation, there's real depth to the sound stage... all, seemingly, from giving the uR a better power base (and, of course, the GI). Crazy.

I've got some other upgrades in the works, but at least one more Farad is on the menu. Perhaps as a Christmas gift...

3 hours ago, Jeremy Anderson said:

Now, I may be getting a double-whammy by achieving proper galvanic isolation along with the seriously improved power stability and delivery the Farad Super3 affords... either way, what a difference! I'm hearing backing vocals coming out of the woodwork and low-level detail retrieval in spades. Voices sound more natural and rich, instruments have greater separation, there's real depth to the sound stage... all, seemingly, from giving the uR a better power base (and, of course, the GI). Crazy.

Hi Jeremy,

Is the galvanic isolation due to the Super Capacitor design much like with the Uptone LPS 1.2?

Geoff

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

8 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Is the galvanic isolation due to the Super Capacitor design much like with the Uptone LPS 1.2?

Farad hasn’t claimed that their supply isolates in the same way as the LPS-1.2.  Better cords can benefit the Super3 as well, so the quality of power provided to the Super3 appears to matter.

Digital:  Sonore opticalModule > Uptone EtherRegen > Shunyata Sigma Ethernet > Antipodes K30 > Shunyata Omega USB > Gustard X26pro DAC < Mutec REF10 SE120

Amp & Speakers:  Spectral DMA-150mk2 > Aerial 10T

Foundation: Stillpoints Ultra, Shunyata Denali v1 and Typhon x1 power conditioners, Shunyata Delta v2 and QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation and Infinity power cords, QSA Lanedri Gamma Revelation XLR interconnect, Shunyata Sigma Ethernet, MIT Matrix HD 60 speaker cables, GIK bass traps, ASC Isothermal tube traps, Stillpoints Aperture panels, Quadraspire SVT rack, PGGB 256

11 hours ago, HeeBroG said:

Hi Jeremy,

Geoff

The GI I am referring to provided by the Chord Qutest. Qutest's signal input and power input are galvanically isolated, but I was unwittingly defeating that when I had 2 power supplies (batteries) and 3 components. I was running a USB line and a DC line from one battery to power the Qutest and to provide juice for the ultraRendu.

In doing so, I was creating a ground connection between the USB input side (since the USB signal comes from the Rendu) and the power input side via the battery powering them both. The other battery was being used to power the Uptone LPS 1.2 at a higher voltage to ensure it had ample current supply.  (edit: It is possible that much of that isolation was being restored by the ISO REGEN + LPS 1.2, but I'm not an electrical engineer.)

Buying the Farad enabled me to dedicate one battery for each side of Qutest's internal "moat," while seriously upping the quality of the supplied voltage to the source (the ultraRendu). I can't know how much each change helped since they are a package deal, but I'm willing to give the Farad the loin's share of the credit.

I'm planning to pick up a V14D for my Farad as well.

For now I'm using a tried and true Nordost Blue Heaven. The V14D bests it in numerous ways (CCI Noise Filtration, 14ga vs BH's 16ga, KPIP treatment, etc.), while the BH has higher copper purity (99.99% vs 99.9999%, for what that's worth). Nordost also has MMF, which is an older trick, but still a good one. I still suspect the V14D would win on the bench or even in a blind taste test.

I hope to get the opportunity to host a shootout between these two, but right now my system is in a bit of an upheaval. I've also been clearing out my Nordost cable stable, though, and selling the Blue Heaven might just net me a V14D, so we'll have to wait and see...

Re power cables, John Swenson recently contributed these thoughts in CA, Uptone -

“I have some opinions on this but not much in the realm of measurements, primarily because nobody really knows what measurements correlate "better sound".

1: geometry of the cable is the most important part. Star quad is by far the best. Unfortunately there are only a couple power cords on the market that use star quad geometry.

2: the dielectric actually on the wires, NOT so much the outer jacket. Low dielectric absorption is good. Teflon, polypropylene, some formulations of silicone rubber etc.

3: socket. Most of the differences between connections occur in the socket, NOT the plug, The socket determines how much actual surface area is in contact with the plug.

4: surface of the socket or plug. For the surface plating of power plugs or sockets my favorite is silver. Gold is the absolute worst for power connections. Gold is usually very thin plating and when the plug goes in, small arcs occur which vaporize the thin gold plating, leaving the electrical contact with a very poor connection of the redeposited vaporized layer under the gold. Usually NOT a good contact. Leave gold for SIGNAL connections not power connections. A good thick silver plating will easily withstand the micro-arcs. Yes they oxidize, but the oxides are conductive, usually get wiped away when connecting and don't suffer the infamous "diode affect" of copper oxides. All in all I think think silver plating is by far the best compromise for power connections.

5: the plug actually has little to do with it other than the contact plating.

6: gauge of the wire.

Note that wire gauge is at the bottom of the list. Of course you have to get it big enough to handle the load of what you are powering. But beyond that getting the higher things on the list done well will make a much bigger improvement than just making wire bigger. What can happen is that frequently when you go to a thicker wire some of the other things also get better so may think that the thicker wire is what "did the trick" when it was really some of the other things. For example for a preamp going from 14 AWG to 12 AWG is not going to do anything for sound, UNLESS the cable with the thicker wire makes improvements in some of the other things. That same change might well make a small change in a 500 watt amp, every thing else being equal.

7: wire metal type. For power cords I think this is one of the least important parts. Go with a good grade annealed copper and you are about as good as you can get. There IS a side affect that metal alloy can have: Copper can interact with the dielectric around it causing oxides and "diode affect" which can cause problems. Fortunately the "good" dielectrics mentioned above generally do not have this interaction. So switching to silver wire with cheap dielectric (say PVC) WILL significantly improve sound, but sticking with copper and going with a good dielectric will sound better and cost less.

I know I'm dissing a lot of sacred cows with this, but this is what I actually think is the most important.

If you REALLY want to do power well go with Neutric Powercons, Build your own "power boxes" with them, make your own polypropylene insulated star quad cables with Powercons and put them in your equipment. That is about as good as it gets.

John S.”

macmini M1>ethernet / elgar iso tran(2.5kVa, .0005pfd)>consonance pw-3 boards>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360)>etherRegen(js-2)>ghent ethernet(et linkway cat8 jssg360) >ultraRendu (clones lpsu>lps1.2)>curious regen link>rme adi-2 dac(js-2)>cawsey cables>naquadria sp2 passive pre> 1.naquadria lucien mkII.5 power>elac fs249be + elac 4pi plus.2> 2.perreaux9000b(mods)>2x naquadria 12” passive subs.

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone know what the fuse value is for a 12V Farad Super3? 

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific

• 5 months later...

How long is the burn in time for Farad - 5V?
I have the version with Supreme 3 fuse.

Macbook Pro 2015 > JCAT XE USB > Matrix X SPDIF3 > AyES > Mutec MC3+ > EC Designs PowerDAC B > Topping Pre90 > Wadia a102 > Cardas SE9 cables > John Blue JB3 speakers. All Clear cables Cardas IC, AyES, Beyond & XL