IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

ok, wait...

"anytime you can provide dedicated supplies it is going to be an advantage..." as long as you are not cost-limited (or the engineers weren't), right??

if you have $xx for PS and spend $xx/2 on two different PS's will the SQ  -always-  be better than if you had plowed all of $xx into a single high quality PS??

and where is the transition?

how would a consumer be able to determine?

10 minutes ago, Ralf11 said:

if you have $xx for PS and spend $xx/2 on two different PS's will the SQ  -always-  be better than if you had plowed all of $xx into a single high quality PS??

There is just no simple answer to these kind of questions, in other words, it depends...

I would certainly never advise anyone to use a shared supply for two components which are by design isolated from each other, as then one is defeating the isolation which they already paid for.  For example, sharing a supply between an opticaModule and opticalRendu would defeat the purpose of using an optical connection to begin with.  By sharing a supply, we have an electrical connection between the two, when we went to an optical interface in order to defeat that electrical connection.  The same would apply if sharing a supply between any Rendu and a DAC which features an isolated USB interface; the purpose of the isolated USB interface is to defeat the electrical connection between the USB receiver (and hence the Rendu via the USB cable) and the rest of the DAC-if we power these two with the same supply, now we have an electrical connection between them again.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

19 hours ago, Sonic77 said:

Finally got some time to listen to the opticalRendu last night, even though I received my oR on Thursday. I thought it did sound different when I first hooked it up then when I listened on Saturday night, so maybe some break in happened there. I am using hqplayer desktop 4.0.3 as the software playback which I purchased earlier this week. The sound is extraordinary, I'm hearing lots more detail then before, the songs almost sound like different songs because of all the new detail, where sounds blurred together I'm getting more separation of instruments and clarity of voices. I am using the starter kit while I wait for the opticalModule, I didn't have a problem with set up, since I already own the microRendu, and ultraRendu, using sonicorbiter which was already set up on my computer, just had to choose the opticalRendu as the rendu to play back using hqplayer. My power supply is the Sonore signature power supply, my dac is the Resonessence Mirus Dac, my preamp is PS Audio BHK signature preamp, my amps are the PS Audio BHK 300's monoblocs, my interconnects and speaker wires are Iconoclast, my Ethernet cable is AQ diamond. I'm looking forward to other peoples reviews.

can you tell us what the comparison is being made to?

opticalRendu replaced ?, an ultraRendu with the same power supply?

On 5/25/2019 at 10:09 PM, incus said:

One thing I can report back so far is that my unit decidedly did not like the LPS 1.2 as a power supply. The 1.2 was searing hot and the LED stayed red on the back of the oRendu no matter what I tried - and this is without any vBus requirements...

Is this still the case ? Even after using the supplied SMPS that came with it as John suggest ?

On 5/26/2019 at 3:21 PM, JohnSwenson said:

What were you using as the feeder supply for the LPS-1.2? What you are describing is what happens when the feeder supply cannot supply enough power to the LPS-1.2. If you are NOT using the supplied Uptone Audio branded SMPS give that a try and see if that fixes the problem.

John S.

I am currently using and have only ever used the supplied Uptone branded SMPS with the 1.2. The 1.2 has successfully been powering other things for a while but the problem with the oRendu persists. With the LED green on the 1.2, the LED on the oRendu will start red. Then it goes amber. Then when it seems like it's about to go green it shuts down the 1.2 momentarily. Then the the 1.2 flashes red or a second. Then goes green. Then the whole process starts all over again with the oRendu going from red to amber to shutting down the 1.2 again. Any thoughts?

15 minutes ago, incus said:

I am currently using and have only ever used the supplied Uptone branded SMPS with the 1.2. The 1.2 has successfully been powering other things for a while but the problem with the oRendu persists. With the LED green on the 1.2, the LED on the oRendu will start red. Then it goes amber. Then when it seems like it's about to go green it shuts down the 1.2 momentarily. Then the the 1.2 flashes red or a second. Then goes green. Then the whole process starts all over again with the oRendu going from red to amber to shutting down the 1.2 again. Any thoughts?

Thanks,

Aha, this sounds like the optialRendu is pulling a bit higher current right as the network connects (which is the last part of the boot process, just before it goes green) and that extra current is pushing the LPS-1.2 over the edge.

It doesn't seem like anything is broken, just that probably due to manufacturing tolerances your combination of opticalRendu and LPS-1.2 just don't get along together.

John S.

1 minute ago, JohnSwenson said:

Thanks,

Aha, this sounds like the optialRendu is pulling a bit higher current right as the network connects (which is the last part of the boot process, just before it goes green) and that extra current is pushing the LPS-1.2 over the edge.

It doesn't seem like anything is broken, just that probably due to manufacturing tolerances your combination of opticalRendu and LPS-1.2 just don't get along together.

John S.

I should mention I have three LPS 1.2 units and the behavior is the same with all three.

5 minutes ago, incus said:

But thank you for your explanation.

What output mode are you using? Different modes might cause increased activity when connecting to the server. That might cause the bump in current.

That's just my curiosity trying to figure out what is happening. It obviously doesn't work for you, so of course use what DOES work for you.

John S.

1 hour ago, incus said:

Roon Ready

Same I do with almost same issues. 

I hope someone is willing to measure your opticalRendu power draw, as it seems unlikely that all 3 LPS-1.2 is “low current versions”

If you can use another PS temporary, the OR may draw less power after “burning in”. It seems to me mine got more stable over time, but I’m not sure about that yet.

I hopefully know more by Sunday. 

36 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

bassist Nikki Parrott. I've had her latest album for a month or two and have listened to it a number of times.

Which track ?

(I expect album From New York to Paris)

3 minutes ago, daverich4 said:

I Will Wait For You starting at 0:39. 

I can hear them very clearly but I don't think that it is someone clapping. I actually think that it is coming from Nicki, her chair and perhaps her bow. There is a lot of it going on.

And that is just with my humble LPS 1.2, Ultra Rendu, Chord M-Scaler Chord Hugo TT2, KGSSHV Carbon into Stax 007 MK2. Can you imagine what I would hear with an Optical rendu.

4 minutes ago, lumos said:

I can hear them very clearly but I don't think that it is someone clapping. I actually think that it is coming from Nicki, her chair and perhaps her bow. There is a lot of it going on.

And that is just with my humble LPS 1.2, Ultra Rendu, Chord M-Scaler Chord Hugo TT2, KGSSHV Carbon into Stax 007 MK2. Can you imagine what I would hear with an Optical rendu.

Yes, I don’t hear it as someone clapping. It’s more like tapping lightly on a cheek with an open mouth. 

3 minutes ago, lumos said:

Having replaced my SOtM smS-200 Ultra with the optical Rendu going into my M-Scaler and Hugo TT2, I will say that the M-Scaler/TT2 combo imparts a large degree of the final sonic flavor in my system - I am finding with that combo that the upstream renderer still matters, of course, but perhaps less than before I had that combo... my point is, you already have a VERY revealing set-up, not sure the oRendu will provide the kind of immediate clarity upgrade being discussed here...