IGNORED

Sonore opticalRendu

5 hours ago, TubeLover said:

I have two LPS-1.2's I was planning to utilize with an upcoming Optical Rendu system purchase and not being able to makes this a much more expensive way to go. And the LPS series power supplies have been a great value in a high end audio system needing power supplies. Any equally good, and suitable replacements will almost certainly be even more expensive. No one's fault, simply  a consequence related to the impact of the situation as it has become known. 

JC

Don’t let people’s anxiety for a hot power supply stop you from purchase the OR.

Cumputers gets extremely hot inside as well. But since they are inside a bigger case, people isn’t noticing.

If you’re using Vbus power, you will have to use both your LPS-1.2.

I have already requested Ghentaudio to make a Gotham JSSG360 cable similar to this one, but with male Oyaide plug, as I now realize that’s probably the only way to go to avoid the LPS-1.2 to shut off. 

(In my case that can take several hours). 

The SQ from the OpticalRendu is fantastic. I think bass is even more better. 

I have been reading some of the posts above and have some clarifications:

1. In regards to the Uptone LPS-1 power supply it was not recommended for use with the opticalRendu. In fact, it is not recommended on any of the Rendu product pages.

2. In regards to the Uptone LPS-1.2 power supply it was recommended for use with the opticalRendu up until a few days ago. It is still recommended for use with our other products.

14 minutes ago, vortecjr said:

I have been reading some of the posts above and have some clarifications:

1. In regards to the Uptone LPS-1 power supply it was not recommended for use with the opticalRendu. In fact, it is not recommended on any of the Rendu product pages.

2. In regards to the Uptone LPS-1.2 power supply it was recommended for use with the opticalRendu up until a few days ago. It is still recommended for use with our other products.

I have no problem with you not recommending John Swenson Ultracap power supplies. After all you are selling your own power supplies 😀

15 minutes ago, R1200CL said:

I have no problem with you not recommending John Swenson Ultracap power supplies. After all you are selling your own power supplies 😀

Adding a smilly face doesn't make that comment any more appropriate. I have a commitment to my customers to make sure they have the best possible experience with our gear even if that means not recommending a product that John/Alex are in evolved in. I have always been more than generous with recommending power supplies from various companies. Finally, we have always had our own power supply dating back to the music server days because sometimes you just need to take the bull the horns. 

sorry i can't contribute a detailed review yet, but i got my OR just before beginning a trip and only had a short period to listen.

in the 48 hours i had the OR hooked up to my system with an lps-1.2, neither item seemed excessively hot, the sound was good (though I really didn't do any critical listening).  i'm sure it will be nicely warmed up and broken in when i get back in a week or so.

on the other hand, reports of more detail across the entire spectrum and, in particular, hearing chairs creaking(!) and the movement of spit inside the singer's mouth, sound to me like audio reviewer holy grail.  aren't we all dying to hear more into the recording?

in my experience, from sonic orbiter on a cubox to microRendu to ultraRendu, these streamers have consistently improved, and shined even more with great DC power.  i expect no less here, but will want to experiment with both power supply and DC cable and usb cable before i draw any conclusions.

for now, i'm happy with my portable system but even with a good player and iem, low level detail s(and chair squeeks) tend to be obscured by jet engine noise. :)

2 hours ago, cat6man said:

in the 48 hours i had the OR hooked up to my system with an lps-1.2, neither item seemed excessively hot, the sound was good 

Good, we need more of this positive vibes 😀

What is the USB interface ?

On 5/24/2019 at 9:24 AM, Em2016 said:

Yes but my question to JR is if he can buy it, test it and then add to the approved list...

TP-Link stuff is widely available so it would be nice to have an approved option to pair with opticalRendu, if people cannot afford to add the opticalModule...

@Em2016. As promised and expected, I can now confirm that this unit works fine. 

So we should be quite sure, so will similar TP link do. 

Thanks to John S for answering question about what to expect. 

Those that follow the opticalModule thread will notice good news from Jesus as well. 

Hi, I've had the opticalrendu for about a week now.  It's powered by a CI Audio power supply.  Both units are cool to the touch. I used to run an ultrarendu with uptone lps 1.2.  I wanted to post my initial listening reaction with the opticalrendu in the system.  First, I've noticed that I'm able to play my music at a lower volume...probably 3-4 db lower than before.  Also, it appears to me there is greater separation in the music, better imaging and soundstage, with some added details.  There has definitely been an improvement in the music. It's not night and day difference but certainly an improvement in clarity and focus.  I'm quite happy with the opticalrendu. Nicely done Sonore.

Question: I'm using the "orange" optical cables...in earlier posts on this thread there was mention of "blue" optical cables as a possible upgrade.  Are the blue cables recommended, and if so could someone post a link or the name of the cables.  I think they are available on Amazon.

Thanks everyone.  Champions League Final reminder....go Liverpool!!

Hi @Musikfan, I am glad you are enjoying the opticalRendu.  The OM-1 cable (orange) is the standard recommendation because we know it works perfectly.  Any other cables would be considered experimental, but certainly trying something else will not hurt anything-but we do not know if there is any improvement possible, or not, with different cabling.  I can say that here in my system I have been using OM-3 (turquoise) and it works fine; but I have not made listening comparisons vs. OM-1, or anything else, for that matter (very busy here!).

I am sure, as more users get up and running with the optical Rendu and Signature Rendu SE (optical), that folks will begin to experiment (and hopefully report their results), that is fine, just remember that the official recommendation from Sonore is for OM-1 (orange) optical fiber.

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio

Okay, so the Optical module is now shipping...  Will it be of any benefit if I try to use it with the ultrarendu, while waiting to get the optical rendu?

And first of all, is it possible to use the optical module, along with the included fiber transceiver and the optional system optique fiber optical cable with an ultrarendu, and hear some differences?

If anyone has indeed tried a similar set up, could you let us know about your experiences?

4 hours ago, sahmen said:

Okay, so the Optical module is now shipping...  Will it be of any benefit if I try to use it with the ultrarendu, while waiting to get the optical rendu?

And first of all, is it possible to use the optical module, along with the included fiber transceiver and the optional system optique fiber optical cable with an ultrarendu, and hear some differences?

If anyone has indeed tried a similar set up, could you let us know about your experiences?

I have tried this many times, it works VERY well. My experience is that It is a significant upgrade to the ultraRendu, but nowhere near as good as the opticalModule feeding an opticalRendu.

John S.

So in a scenario with a managed switch that has fiber built in - how does one evaluate/determine the performance or quality of its fiber link?  With all the talk of clocks, power supplies, servers directly connected to DAC (Innuos) etc.. Confusing.  SOTM has a whole line of separate devices with dedicated USB, pwr, endpoint.

Specifically my switch (TP-Link TL-SG2216 ) is AC powered connected to a UPS along with my router/FW, modem, NAS, all of which are in in a network rack located in laundry room with a 25m optical cable to listening room which is connected to a FMC (Trendnet TFC-1000MGA) to a mU.  Wkst running ROON server and HQP are also in laundry room connected to switch via BJC cat6e.  SFP modules are cisco glc-sx-mm

I'm thinking hard about next move, so many differentiating opinions about svr direct connect (to DAC) or separate modules (similar to my setup).  What to do?

My rig

43 minutes ago, Foggie said:

So in a scenario with a managed switch that has fiber built in - how does one evaluate/determine the performance or quality of its fiber link?  With all the talk of clocks, power supplies, servers directly connected to DAC (Innuos) etc.. Confusing.  SOTM has a whole line of separate devices with dedicated USB, pwr, endpoint.

Specifically my switch (TP-Link TL-SG2216 ) is AC powered connected to a UPS along with my router/FW, modem, NAS, all of which are in in a network rack located in laundry room with a 25m optical cable to listening room which is connected to a FMC (Trendnet TFC-1000MGA) to a mU.  Wkst running ROON server and HQP are also in laundry room connected to switch via BJC cat6e.  SFP modules are cisco glc-sx-mm

I'm thinking hard about next move, so many differentiating opinions about svr direct connect (to DAC) or separate modules (similar to my setup).  What to do?

Of course that depends on how much money you want to spend. The best sound will be from an opticalRendu and opticalModule. Plug the opticalModule into the switch with a short Ethernet cable, plug your existing optical cable into the opticalModule and the other end of the fiber cable into the opticalRendu.

If you don't want to spend that much the least expensive upgrade is an opticalModule in place of the existing FMC. There are various options with ultraRendus with intermediate cost.

An opticalRendu connected to the existing fiber cable, without the opticalModule at the switch end, is going to sound considerably better than the microRendu with the opticalModule feeding it. I still think it will sound better than an opticalModule feeding an ultraRendu, but the best is the opticalModule feeding the opticalRendu.

Lots of ways you can mix and match the parts.

John S.

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

I have tried this many times, it works VERY well. My experience is that It is a significant upgrade to the ultraRendu, but nowhere near as good as the opticalModule feeding an opticalRendu.

John S.

Thanks John:  My upgrade path actually leads to eventually to the opticalRendu. Getting the optical module and using it with my ultrarendu will just be an interim phase.  I actually see myself winding up with two different setups, one of which will be opticalrendu based, and the second of which will be the ultrarendu upgraded with an optical module.  

To be honest, (and I am not sure how "sacrilegious" it is to mention this here), I am also awaiting the release of the etherregen, because I am curious about what kinds of extra enhancements (if any) it might bring to the table, if/when used in place of the optical module, with an opticalRendu (I am assuming that this would be its place of appropriate deployment, i.e. between a router and the opticalRendu)...  So I see a period of exciting experimentations ahead, and I am trying to remain as patient and un-rushed as I possibly can throughout the entire process. There seem to be several options available, and I wish I had the budgetary wherewithal to try everything, but I unfortunately don't.  This is why i am trying to proceed with some caution in choosing and experimenting with these new components.

6 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

Of course that depends on how much money you want to spend. The best sound will be from an opticalRendu and opticalModule. Plug the opticalModule into the switch with a short Ethernet cable, plug your existing optical cable into the opticalModule and the other end of the fiber cable into the opticalRendu.

If you don't want to spend that much the least expensive upgrade is an opticalModule in place of the existing FMC. There are various options with ultraRendus with intermediate cost.

An opticalRendu connected to the existing fiber cable, without the opticalModule at the switch end, is going to sound considerably better than the microRendu with the opticalModule feeding it. I still think it will sound better than an opticalModule feeding an ultraRendu, but the best is the opticalModule feeding the opticalRendu.

John S.

Thanks for chiming in John.

7 hours ago, Foggie said:

This weekend I added a simple setup diagram showing how to connect a router to a opticalModule / opticalRendu. I'm going to add other diagrams soon showing things like an opticalModule with a ultraRendu or Ethernet DAC.  

1 hour ago, Highfilter said:

I've had the opticalRendu running since Friday. Here's my listening impressions:

opticalRendu USB (Sbooster MKII 6V) vs. Rendu i2s (SE Upgraded) -> Holo Audio Spring DAC L3:

• Most noticeable improvement through the opticalRendu on my system is the rendering of high frequency leading edges and presentation of vocals. Attacks are slightly more crisp with less etch. I would use the term slightly "rounder" but they're still very sharp/crisp. Vocal sibilance on tracks is a bit less harsh/airy and is rendered more to the point, sounding less artifical to me. Easy targets for this are: Massive Attack - Psyche, or Feist - Leisure Suite. These are minor improvements but easily noticeable when switching between the sources.
  • Lesser improvements appear through the midrange. Guitars and strings are a touch more textured or "meat on the bones". Nirvana's "Lake Of Fire" sounding crazy good right now.
  • Bass, soundstage, imaging, blackground... all remain amazing and both units are dead silent. No real noticeable change here but the level is already so high.

Overall both units are top notch and any improvements are pretty subtle at this point - unless you're coming from a really lesser source (IMO). Unit setup was very easy and the different playback modes work great. PS: I did try the LPS 1.2 on the opticalRendu but it kept going red/losing connection - but that's not surprising as my DAC needs USB power. Using it on the TP-Link MC220L instead. Sbooster MKII 6V works flawlessly on the opticalRendu and doesn't break a sweat.

I know the comparison is not an apples to apples comparison, but these are the units I have available. Impressive results since the Spring DAC i2s should have the upperhand. Of course I could chain another device AFTER the opticalRendu to convert USB -> i2s but I'd rather just upgrade my DAC instead.

I've also ordered the opticalModule to replace the TP-Link MC220L. I'll report how that goes when it arrives.

Playback chain details below:

• Software: Playback through DLNA (jRiver) and also HQPlayer (NAA) - both worked great.
  • opticalRendu chain: Router -> TP-Link MC220L (PS: LPS 1.2 9V) -> opticalRendu (PS: Sbooster MKII 6V) -> WyWires Silver USB.
  • Rendu (SE Upgraded) chain: Router -> Rendu -> AudioQuest Chocolate HDMI.
  • Playback chain: (All interconnects WyWires Silver): PI Audio ÜberBUSS -> Rendu -> Holo Audio Spring DAC L3 > Goldpoint SA1X > Hegel H20 -> Salk SoundScape 10.

Optical stuff confirmed working for those in Canada:

Back to listening!

Thank you for posting your feedback. Enjoy!

10 hours ago, JohnSwenson said:

John S.

Thanks for pointing out these options, I never thought about just an opticalModule right at the switch (or even in general) since I already have an FMC

Wasn’t aware or thinking that an opticalModule would be an improvement over a standard FMC.  Certainly it “all” matters, but just how much an improvement in my config there would be just adding that alone, dunno - I’ll have to decide. 

My rig

On 5/26/2019 at 8:54 PM, barrows said:

There are a couple of things to think about here:

First, anytime you share power supplies one is making a compromise, even internally inside a DAC, one of the main differences between good DACs, and really superb DACs is the number of separate power supplies internally, which provide separate clean feeds to different sections of the DAC-for example, Ayre's latest DAC has 4 transforms internally, and a Bricasti M1 has 3.

So anytime you can provide dedicated supplies it is going to be an advantage.

Secondly, in this specific example, let's assume our USB DAC has a galavanically isolated USB interface.  In this case, if you power the opticalRendu and the DAC from the same power supply, you have now defeated the isolation designed into the DAC, so you have compromised the performance designed into the DAC.

Bottom line is, if one is looking for best performance, dedicated supplies, with really clean, low output impedance, are going to be an advantage.  this is one of those cases of "no free lunch".

@barrows May I ask for your expertise once again ? In my network setup, I have a wi-fi router upstairs inside my computer room (with a cabled NUC storing my music files). This router communicates over 5G with a Netgear repeater downstairs in my listening room. The Netgear features RJ-45 ethernet connectors, to one of which an ultrarendu is connected (PS: LPS-1) . The ultrrendu connects over USB to a Moon 780D DAC. In this setup, I have no problem streaming up to DSD256 native from my NUC upstairs with no dropouts with excellent SQ.

I am wondering if replacing in my setup the ultrarendu with an opticalrendu (over fiber) -> opticalmodule (over ethernet) -> netgear would be beneficial, or does the wifi path between the router upstairs and the netgear repeater downstairs isolate my urendu renderer from "most" of the ethernet noise, except from that coming from the netgear itself ?

Thanks for your help

@André Gosselin, Your 5G repeater downstairs is currently sharing its noise with your audio system, so I would indeed expect there to be an audio improvement adding an opticalRendu and opticalModule.

Best advice:

If you can, try to get that repeater physically away from the audio system, and certainly make sure wherever the repeater is plugged in is not the same circuit as the audio gear.  Then run a very short Ethernet cable from the Repeater to an opticalModule/FMC (with good linear power supply) and then optical fiber to a opticalRendu or Signature Rendu SE optical in the audio system.  The good news is that the optical cabling is very small and flexible in comparison with CAT 6, so it can often be hidden, or snaked under the floor, under carpet, etc.  Just do not put it anywhere it count be damaged (walked on, etc).  I actually need to finalize my installation here by drilling a hole from my second story work room (where the computer server, router and FMC are) not my living room where the audio system is (right now my optical fiber is just temporarily running along the baseboard and down the stairs).

I am not intimately familiar with 5G repeater devices, but I cannot imagine having that powerful wireless device broadcasting RF around the audio system is a good idea.

BTW, now might be a good time to mention again that the opticalRendu and Signature Rendu SE optical are new designs by John, which include improvements in performance in addition to the optical connection itself.  

SO/ROON/HQPe: DSD 512-Sonore opticalModuleDeluxe-Signature Rendu optical with Well Tempered Clock--DIY DSC-2 DAC with SC Pure Clock--DIY Purifi Amplifier-Focus Audio FS888 speakers-JL E 112 sub-Nordost Tyr USB, DIY EventHorizon AC cables, Iconoclast XLR & speaker cables, Synergistic Purple Fuses, Spacetime system clarifiers.  ISOAcoustics Oreas footers.                                                       

SONORE computer audio