IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

1 minute ago, Music Enthusiast said:

No it’s not a stepped attenuator either. As I have said many times it’s called a digital rotary encoder. 

Anyways that system isn’t 100% drawback free. Which is why the digital control in the Tambaqui is claimed to be superior. 

I can say whatever it is; it's incredible.  The sound (or not) of the Tambaqui is truly special.  

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

25 minutes ago, firedog said:

I'm not the biggest fan of that site, but I think testing various units (not just DACs) in terms of their actual output is a useful service - if the measurements are done correctly. 

Archimago sometimes does the same type of thing at his site.

It doesn't mean all units sound the same, or that expensive DACs are for idiots, but I think it is useful data to see that sometimes more modestly priced components measure as well or better than more expensive ones, and that some of the tweaks that audiophiles think are so important actually don't seem to make a difference at all at the output.

I think it's far more misleading than it is of service. Because people are going to go off of his recommendations when buying a DAC. And there's a good chance that they won't like what they hear. 

19 hours ago, Superdad said:

(Though a lot of folks over at ASR do seem to espouse the opinion that if a $250 DAC measures the same as a $20K DAC then they will sound about the same. O.o)

Do you really mean to suggest that they might not? 😕

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Just now, Miska said:

I'm most worried about the expensive gear that measures badly... I sometimes wonder if the manufacturer ever measured their creation...

Probably not. Probably voiced by ear to "sound good", which could include lots of euphonic distortion.

Main listening (small home office):

Main setup: Surge protectors +>Isol-8 Mini sub Axis Power Strip/Protection>QuietPC Low Noise Server>Roon (Audiolense DRC)>Stack Audio Link II>Kii Control>Kii Three BXT (on their own electric circuit) >GIK Room Treatments.

Secondary Path: Server with Audiolense RC>RPi4 or analog>Cayin iDAC6 MKII (tube mode) (XLR)>Kii Three BXT

Bedroom: SBTouch to Cambridge Soundworks Desktop Setup.
Living Room/Kitchen: Ropieee (RPi3b+ with touchscreen) + Schiit Modi3E to a pair of Morel Hogtalare. 

All absolute statements about audio are false :)

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I’ve been really enjoying my Tambaqui since I got it in December.  Tonight I upgraded the firmware to their latest Version 1.0.  A pleasantly surprising enhancement in performance.  Improved clarity and depth of soundstage  Highly recommended.  

David,

Thanks for the heads up.  So do you connect via USB to computer and use app to update?  Thanks.

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

I have the Mola Mola App, which you can download off of their webbsite, on my iPad.  The app can set all of the Tambaqui functions, control volume (i’m running Direct since I use a presmp) and download software.  The Tambaqui communicates via Bluetooth with my iPad, so there’s no need to connect the Tambaqui directly to the internet for new software.  Clever design...

For Tambaqui fans:  The firmware upgrade includes Roon certification, meaning that you can run ethernet straight into the DAC.  

David, thanks for the suggestion to use the Bluetooth update process.  Took all of 4 minutes.  It is a clever and convenient design.

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

jtwrace,

Did you use the DIGIN download to update your Tambaqui?  The image of the About screen on the app shows DAC Firmware of 1.1 and DIGIN Firmware of 1.2.  I did NOT use the DIGIN download and have versions 1.0 and 1.1, respectively.  The firmware is 1.0, the same as what you show, after the update.  Thanks.  

20 minutes ago, PYP said:

jtwrace,

Did you use the DIGIN download to update your Tambaqui?  The image of the About screen on the app shows DAC Firmware of 1.1 and DIGIN Firmware of 1.2.  I did NOT use the DIGIN download and have versions 1.0 and 1.1, respectively.  The firmware is 1.0, the same as what you show, after the update.  Thanks.  

Yes, you have to use the DIGIN to update the dac on top of using the App.  

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ucaca9aauicy4bv/Manual - How to get the Mola Mola Tambaqui Roon Ready.pdf?dl=0

W10 NUC i7 (Gen 10) > Roon (Audiolense FIR) > Motu UltraLite mk5 > (4) Hypex NCore NC502MP > JBL M2 Master Reference +4 subs

Watch my Podcast https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCXMw_bZWBMtRWNJQfTJ38kA/videos

On 1/4/2019 at 12:53 AM, Miska said:

I'm most worried about the expensive gear that measures badly... I sometimes wonder if the manufacturer ever measured their creation...

We all remember the Stereophile Playback Designs MPS-5 measurements ... and the manufacturers response...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/playback-designs-mps-5-sacdcd-player-manufacturers-comment

As we are always researching new ideas, the next-generation algorithms may very well make these kind of measurements even worse”. 

Full response at link above.

1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

We all remember the Stereophile Playback Designs MPS-5 measurements ... and the manufacturers response...

https://www.stereophile.com/content/playback-designs-mps-5-sacdcd-player-manufacturers-comment

As we are always researching new ideas, the next-generation algorithms may very well make these kind of measurements even worse”. 

Full response at link above.

Well, I don't think it measures badly... SNR could be better, but I don't see big faults. Would be nice to get my hands on Playback Designs Merlot DAC. I've heard the Nagra Classic DAC running at DSD128 (from HQPlayer) and it sounded really good, and Andreas Koch is one of the designers behind it. Hoping to hear the HD DAC X at Munich, but unfortunately probably not through HQPlayer.

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

5 hours ago, Miska said:

Well, I don't think it measures badly... SNR could be better, but I don't see big faults. Would be nice to get my hands on Playback Designs Merlot DAC. I've heard the Nagra Classic DAC running at DSD128 (from HQPlayer) and it sounded really good, and Andreas Koch is one of the designers behind it. Hoping to hear the HD DAC X at Munich, but unfortunately probably not through HQPlayer.

I’ve also heard the MPS-5 and Merlot DAC (latter directly driving my headphones) and it was incredible.. in fact I can still remember how the music sounded and the feeling. And that was even after reading those measurements. Whether I enjoyed more distortions or whatever, there was something quite special.

4 minutes ago, Em2016 said:

I’ve also heard the MPS-5 and Merlot DAC (latter directly driving my headphones) and it was incredible.. in fact I can still remember how the music sounded and the feeling. And that was even after reading those measurements. Whether I enjoyed more distortions or whatever, there was something quite special.

Only "fault" JA complains about is random background noise. If you can hear it, it is just like tape hiss or radio background noise. Important thing is that it is not correlated with the music. But the distortion levels are low.

Sometimes I tend to disagree with JA's conclusions. For example if you look at this:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/kalista-dreamplay-one-cd-player-measurements

Signalyst - Developer of HQPlayer

Pulse & Fidelity - Software Defined Amplifiers

• 1 month later...

After a month of using the ethernet input, I can say that it yields great results.  Upgrading the ethernet cable to a Purist Audio Design cat7 and re-inserting the Acoustic Revive RLI-1 (passive filter) both helped the purity of the sound.  

Even a good-resolution internet station, such as The Jazz Groove, yields what I consider CD-quality playback when the source material is decent. 

Since I'm using Roon straight to the Tambaqui, it functions as a streamer/DAC/preamp.  That saves a lot of boxes, cables and $$$.