IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

• 3 months later...
55 minutes ago, leManu said:

Someone compared the Tambaqui with a Linn streamer with the Organik dac and the playback designs mpd-6/8?

Personally I have not but I would like to do one in my own system.  Would like to hear anyone’s thoughts being the next best thing I suppose. 

Fleetwood Deville SQ < Bakoon AMP-51R < Mola Mola Tambaqui < Theoretica Applied Physics BACCH-SP ADIO < Grimm MU1

I have, but not back to back. The Linn (Selekt DSM with dual Organik, Utopik & amp modules) sounded very good in the system auditioned, but it didn’t engage me to anything like my own system. Too many variables to form a firm opinion though

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, abase said:

it is a old thread, but I`m new to the Tambaqui DAC ;-)
I`m waiting for it (next week). At the moment I`m on my trusty Holo Audio Spring3 KTE.
I have been using roon and HQ-Player for two years now. My DIY-Server is able to upsample to 1024 DSC with the best modolators..I have never thought I could by the Tambaqui, because I could not use HQ-Player anymore... I was on the fence for the Holo Audio May. I few month ago I installed euphony Stylus  on my DIY-Server. That was a massive upgrade in SQ.  I have left roon .. From time to time I tryed the Bit-Perfect audiosystem from Stylus( without HQ-Player) and was astonished that it sound so good. I decidet to live without HQ-Player the diffent, when there was one was so small that it not justify the 200 Watt current that was needed permanently fo use HQ-Player at 1024 DSD.
What I what to say, if the sound is perfect you don't need to upscale. This week I had the chance to buy the Tambaqui for 7000Euro with only 50 hours playtime and full garantie. I did it...

I few mounth ago I could not imagine that I leave roon and HQ-Player - but the SQ from Euphony with my hardware is so much better.

I'm waiting for the WOW-Moment when I have the Tambaqui in my office ;-)
I will try it with and without preamp - if the preamp has no benefit I will sell it

congratulations on a great price for the Tambaqui.  In case you haven't looked at the Mola Mola Remote app yet, there are three possible output levels.  Both with and without a preamp, these are worth trying to find what fits your system best.  

Have fun.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

8 minutes ago, PYP said:

Both with and without a preamp

At the moment I`m using the Hollo Audio Biss as preamp. My Susvara is connected to the power Amp. Another disadvantage of using HQ-Player in that scenario is that you lose power. 6db for DSD and around 3db to prevent distortion. Now I have another mix and eventually the Bliss is strong enough to power my Susvara well. That would be another reason to stay with the Bliss as preamp. But I will try this two options when the DAC arrived.

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530 on LPS, cat 8(SOTM)  to SOTM Switch, all other internet behind a other switch, Fiber  to Melco S100 Switch modified with Pink Faun OCXO Ultra, Fiber to DIY-Server with Solarflare x2522 Nic, JCAT USB XE with JCAT OCXO, Sinopure USB Cabel to Holo Audio Red(DDC),Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable to Mola Mola Tambaqui, Transparent Interconnect to Holo Audio Bliss (as preamp) SPL S800 power amp feeding a Hifiman Susvara

All Switches and JCAT USB XE (Card and OCXO) powered by LPS (Plixir)

4 hours ago, abase said:

I`m waiting for it (next week). At the moment I`m on my trusty Holo Audio Spring3 KTE.
I have been using roon and HQ-Player for two years now. My DIY-Server is able to upsample to 1024 DSC with the best modolators..I have never thought I could by the Tambaqui, because I could not use HQ-Player anymore... I was on the fence for the Holo Audio May. I few month ago I installed euphony Stylus  on my DIY-Server. That was a massive upgrade in SQ.  I have left roon .. From time to time I tryed the Bit-Perfect audiosystem from Stylus( without HQ-Player) and was astonished that it sound so good. I decidet to live without HQ-Player the diffent, when there was one was so small that it not justify the 200 Watt current that was needed permanently fo use HQ-Player at 1024 DSD.
What I what to say, if the sound is perfect you don't need to upscale. This week I had the chance to buy the Tambaqui for 7000Euro with only 50 hours playtime and full garantie. I did it...

I few mounth ago I could not imagine that I leave roon and HQ-Player - but the SQ from Euphony with my hardware is so much better.

I will try it with and without preamp - if the preamp has no benefit I will sell it

I came from a similar background: using HQPlayer with a Gustard A26 and then a Teac UD-701N. Both excellent DACs for their respective price points and I spent many a happy hour driving myself around the bend playing with different sample and filter settings. Too many - it was getting in the way of my enjoying the music. The Tambaqui has been a game-changer: firstly, it's core audio quality is way ahead of anything else I've owned or auditioned, and it just involves me in the music. Which is surely the point. After that, the Tambaqui has (and see earlier comments) proven extremely resistant to changes from different input methods and connections - I've played most of the combinations and have (so far at least) stuck with the Ethernet input from my Roon server. 

On 4/19/2024 at 11:09 AM, abase said:

From your sig, and your sample rates, it looks your USB direct from your custom PC to you Spring.  I would try:

1 your PC usb direct to MMT (the max rate is DSD256 as you know) but I would start with “NOS” which is to say let HQP play without upsampling at all (making HQP render bit-perfect is a pain but possible).  
2 try Roon, and use the Ethernet in as has been suggested - it’s great. But it only supports Roon, as you know.   It also supports up to dsd256.   
3 if you keep your high end PC, try a USB reclocker - the Innuos Phoenix is great, significantly improving on my Antipodes CX/EX at the time; I currently use the Holo Red as a streamer but it also works as a USB DDC - I’d bet $20 it makes a major difference compared to your USB direct.  

I’ll bet another $25 you prefer the Bliss to the MMT volume control.  I’ve used the Serene, and it was a substantial improvement in solidity and imaging size (I ultimately  preferred more $$$ tube pres but with a tiny sacrifice in transparency that the Serene does not extract). 

and as mentioned, the upsides of HQP upsampling with the MMT are mixed at best.  The MMT is doing its own magic, I’ve always gotten best results with native signal.  

unless you buy a MU1 😀

..I have now the Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable  and use the Holo Audio Red as DDC  - the cable does magic....
To use the Holo Audio Red as DDC took (I think) the last vail from the USB-Data. I had a wireword I2S (arround 250 Euro) before...

ISP, glass to Fritz!box 5530 on LPS, cat 8(SOTM)  to SOTM Switch, all other internet behind a other switch, Fiber  to Melco S100 Switch modified with Pink Faun OCXO Ultra, Fiber to DIY-Server with Solarflare x2522 Nic, JCAT USB XE with JCAT OCXO, Sinopure USB Cabel to Holo Audio Red(DDC),Tubulus Concentus I2S Cable to Mola Mola Tambaqui, Transparent Interconnect to Holo Audio Bliss (as preamp) SPL S800 power amp feeding a Hifiman Susvara

which power cord is suggested for the MMT?

..so the first 3 days are over with the Tambaqui.
I ask myself three questions:
1 - HQ-Player yes/no
2 - Bliss as preamp
3 - Network (Roon Bridge) / or my setup.

..the first day the Tambaqui sound like shit ;-)
..on the second day it gets better..
..I think it is not full broken in, but much better as day 1.
But I feel already confidence to answer my questions:
1- I will not use HQ-Player anymore, it sounds a bit washed out and voices are more in the background. The sound without HQ-Player is much more engaging...

2- the Bliss will stay - the sound is much more dynamic, more soundstage and much more engaging..

3- the network bridge is fine (made a 14 days trial with roon), but my setup is noticeable better. (JCat USB XE and JCAT OCXO in diy server)   Holo Audio Red as DDC with the fantastic Tubulus Concentus I2S  to the DAC

..that is my opinion so far ;-)

But a WOW moment is it not - compared to the Holo Audio Spring (so far)
I had in the past only one WOW moment with Stereo – that was as a changed from SOTM 200 Ultra to the Holo Audio Red. This thing makes me smile from the first tone and the SOTM with power supply was double the price.

10 minutes ago, abase said:

1 - HQ-Player yes/no
2 - Bliss as preamp

1- I will not use HQ-Player anymore, it sounds a bit washed out and voices are more in the background. The sound without HQ-Player is much more engaging...

2- the Bliss will stay - the sound is much more dynamic, more soundstage and much more engaging..

3- the network bridge is fine (made a 14 days trial with roon), but my setup is noticeable better. (JCat USB XE and JCAT OCXO in diy server)   Holo Audio Red as DDC with the fantastic Tubulus Concentus I2S  to the DAC

I had in the past only one WOW moment with Stereo – that was as a changed from SOTM 200 Ultra to the Holo Audio Red. This thing makes me smile from the first tone and the SOTM with power supply was double the price.

If I remember correctly, mine took a month to settle in.  Then subtle improvement for a few

weeks.   

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 4/25/2024 at 6:35 PM, abase said:

1 - HQ-Player yes/no
2 - Bliss as preamp

I went the other way around, I auditioned Tambaqui among some other DACs way back before I ever had used HQPlayer. Back then I actually ended up with Holo Spring 3 with the integrated preamp module, which I found more organic sounding than the other options. Tambaqui had great space and clarity though, but I demoed it connected directly to my active ATC's. Tambaquis volume control/preamp section probably wasn't the best possible and I'm sure it would've benefited of a good preamp. Anyway, only after that I introduced HQP to the setup and have used it ever since. Nowadays I have T+A DAC200 and still with HQP. I also have Holo Serene in the setup (and Holo Red as streamer). I keep Holo Serene connected every now and then and also run DAC200 directly to my active ATC's. Both options have different flavor and strengths so I keep the Serene in the equipment rack for now. 

It's just a bit misleading to talk about HQPlayer as one option only. There's hundreds of possible combinations possible with HQPlayer and they all sound different from eachother. You can choose either DSD or PCM, then all the rates with both of these, then filter and modulator selections... insane amount of options. I've spent a lot of time to find the best settings for my preferences. DSD1024 isn't necessary for most use cases, actually lower rates can objectively have better measurements and can sound better. It depends on the DAC used with the HQP. For my T+A for example, DSD256 is the sweet spot. This information comes from the developer of HQP himself. 

IIRC with Tambaqui it's recommended to use the highest possible PCM rate for input. Tambaqui oversamples everything internally anyway. Tambaqui is a great DAC and it would be interesting to demo it again with a proper preamp. Makua with the Tambaqui DAC-module would probably be the best option. 

Styulus audio player seems interesting. I hadn't heard about it before.