IGNORED

The Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC

10 minutes ago, Matias said:

Yes, as I have not tested both in the same system to know for sure. But I would (and did) spend more in the DAC and use a well known and we'll regarded filter from Uptone, rather than spending less on the DAC and more in an yet to be evaluated converter.

My quote could be interpreted incorrectly. I had wrote something else before and deleted it and then wrote the sentence you quoted. Doing multiple things and responding here and my slowing brain is getting confused. Appreciate your comments.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi folks,

I'm looking at Tambaqui (among others) as an all-in-one. I primarily listen to speakers (active) but I do a little bit (say 1%) of headphone listening and I was wondering if anyone can comment in more detail on the Headphone out quality? I know Darko said he gives the nod to Bartok, but that doesn't say much really. If anyone can relate it to another HP amp out there that would give a good yardstick. I'm not looking for the bees knees, as long as it's decent. Coming from DAC1541 into Eddie Current Black Widow which just gave up the ghost.

Thanks!

6 hours ago, GoodEnoughGear said:

Hi folks,

I'm looking at Tambaqui (among others) as an all-in-one. I primarily listen to speakers (active) but I do a little bit (say 1%) of headphone listening and I was wondering if anyone can comment in more detail on the Headphone out quality? I know Darko said he gives the nod to Bartok, but that doesn't say much really. If anyone can relate it to another HP amp out there that would give a good yardstick. I'm not looking for the bees knees, as long as it's decent. Coming from DAC1541 into Eddie Current Black Widow which just gave up the ghost.

Thanks!

If you are in the U.S., you can demo the Tambaqui and hear for yourself.  

Grimm Audio MU1 > Mola Mola Tambaqui > Mola Mola Kaluga > B&W 803 D3    

Cables:  Kubala-Sosna    Power management:  Shunyata    Room:  Vicoustics  

“Nature is pleased with simplicity.”  Isaac Newton

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

On 9/18/2020 at 8:06 PM, Davidny said:

Another video on the Tambaqui

I agree that simply using the ethernet input as-is yields very good sound, but that it can be improved; therefore, there is an alternative to going the USB route.  The improved ethernet (simply adding an UpTone etherREGEN in stock form or using it as a platform for further upgrades, such as an external clock, etc.) sounds wonderful.  That said, I haven't heard the USB input with an excellent streamer, so have no idea how this combination sounds.    

"As neither the enjoyment nor the capacity of producing musical notes are faculties of the least use to man...they must be ranked among the most mysterious with which he is endowed."  Charles Darwin - The Descent of Man

On 9/22/2020 at 10:56 AM, PYP said:

I agree that simply using the ethernet input as-is yields very good sound, but that it can be improved; therefore, there is an alternative to going the USB route.  The improved ethernet (simply adding an UpTone etherREGEN in stock form or using it as a platform for further upgrades, such as an external clock, etc.) sounds wonderful.  That said, I haven't heard the USB input with an excellent streamer, so have no idea how this combination sounds.

In my system I have the Makua DAC, rather than the Tambaqui.

I was using Antipodes CX (Roon core) to Antipodes EX (Roon Ready endpoint) to Uptone ISO-Regen (Powered by an Uptone JS-2) to the USB input.  There is an EtherRegen (also powered by JS-2) upstream of the CX.  The sound quality using this setup was awesome.

I upgraded the Makua recently to have the Ethernet streaming board added.

Comparing the original setup to using Antipodes CX directly (via Ethernet) into the Makua’s streaming input, the latter is a clear winner to my ears.  I would not go back to USB (even highly tweaked, regenerated, isolated and using high-end USB cables) having heard how good the streaming input is.

In what way better?  To my ears, the streaming input sounds more musically relaxed and yet with sharper focus and consequentially more apparent detail.  It’s not “night and day” different, but it was clear to me very quickly in back to back comparisons.  

Does anyone know if the Tambaqui uses the same USB board as the Makua?

All the reviewers agree that the Tambaqui is a special DAC.  It is interesting how differently they describe its qualities:   organic/natural, bright, muscular.   It makes me wonder if the Tambaqui is "just" very transparent/neutral and that what is being described is the sound of the other components in the reviewer's system.   If true, to me, that would be a good thing.

1 hour ago, PYP said:

All the reviewers agree that the Tambaqui is a special DAC.  It is interesting how differently they describe its qualities:   organic/natural, bright, muscular.   It makes me wonder if the Tambaqui is "just" very transparent/neutral and that what is being described is the sound of the other components in the reviewer's system.   If true, to me, that would be a good thing.

Yes, it's 'transparent' ... but what is being described is the sound of the recordings - the point is not to expose the sound of "other components", but the qualities of what's on the track. The closer you get to this, the more anonymous is the rig; the ideal is for it to have zero personality - and then every album is like listening to a completely different system, from the previous one.

The more the signature of the setup dominates, the less its accuracy - if one wants the same makeup on everything one listens to, that's OK; but it's not getting you closer to what the recording is all about ...

2 hours ago, LawrenceT said:

Wonder has anyone seriously listened to Tambaqui vs emmlabs DA2 or DV2 vs Bartok ?

Tambaqui vs Bartok was done by Darko.

1. WiiM Pro - Mola Mola Makua - Apollon NCx500+SS2590 - March Audio Sointuva AWG

2. LG 77C1 - Marantz SR7005 - Apollon NC502MP+NC252MP - Monitor Audio PL100+PLC150+C265 - SVS SB-3000

3. PC - RME ADI-2 DAC FS - Neumann KH 80 DSP

4. Phone - Tanchjim Space - Truthear Zero Red

5. PC - Keysion ES2981 - Truthear Zero Red

4 hours ago, LawrenceT said:

Wonder has anyone seriously listened to Tambaqui vs emmlabs DA2 or DV2?

Vs emmlabs would be an interesting comparison.  Quite different price points, of course.  

I listened to both before I made a decision to replace my PS Audio DS DAC .... It was hard in some ways to chose, especially with the significantly higher cost of the dCS, but in the end I went with the dCS...  I use relatively small and inefficient (81dB) speakers and maybe it's just my setup, but the Bartok sounded better to my ears when playing just about anything where vocals wasn't the main focus ... and I tend to listen to instrumental music at a 9:1 ratio...  not discounting the dCS on vocals, but it wasn't as front and center as the Mola Mola .. however in the instrumental range, especially mids and lows... the dCS is the best I've ever heard.... and I listed to a lot of them...  Mola Mola, SimAudio Moon, Linn, Chord (including DAVE), PSAudio DSD Sr, McIntosh DA-2, and more...  This one stood out as significantly better, especially when listening to non-native DSD .. such as PCM 96 or 44.1

1 minute ago, 992Sam said:

I listened to both before I made a decision to replace my PS Audio DS DAC .... It was hard in some ways to chose, especially with the significantly higher cost of the dCS, but in the end I went with the dCS...  I use relatively small and inefficient (81dB) speakers and maybe it's just my setup, but the Bartok sounded better to my ears when playing just about anything where vocals wasn't the main focus ... and I tend to listen to instrumental music at a 9:1 ratio...  not discounting the dCS on vocals, but it wasn't as front and center as the Mola Mola .. however in the instrumental range, especially mids and lows... the dCS is the best I've ever heard.... and I listed to a lot of them...  Mola Mola, SimAudio Moon, Linn, Chord (including DAVE), PSAudio DSD Sr, McIntosh DA-2, and more...  This one stood out as significantly better, especially when listening to non-native DSD .. such as PCM 96 or 44.1

Do you use the dCS with 6 volt output?

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

4 minutes ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

Do you use the dCS with 6 volt output?

Not sure if you're referring to a gain setting or is this related to headphones...as I don't use headphones...  and the unit I ordered was a non-headphone build to save $1500 USD..

The output was Balance XLR, into a McIntosh C52 Pre and, MC601 monoblock amps and XR50 speakers .. which is the closest the dealer could match to my system on order. 

The unit I heard was at a dealer in SF and mine is still in production as I placed the order last week. 

4 minutes ago, 992Sam said:

Not sure if you're referring to a gain setting or is this related to headphones...as I don't use headphones...  and the unit I ordered was a non-headphone build to save $1500 USD..

The output was Balance XLR, into a McIntosh C52 Pre and, MC601 monoblock amps and XR50 speakers .. which is the closest the dealer could match to my system on order. 

The unit I heard was at a dealer in SF and mine is still in production as I placed the order last week. 

The balanced output voltage can be set to 2 volts and 6 volts. I usually prefer 6V.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

1 minute ago, The Computer Audiophile said:

The balanced output voltage can be set to 2 volts and 6 volts. I usually prefer 6V.

that's good to know... When I get my own unit I will play with both... looking like a month backorder sadly..

I will ask the dealer what he had it set to, but I assume it was the default setting. 

1 minute ago, 992Sam said:

that's good to know... When I get my own unit I will play with both... looking like a month backorder sadly..

I will ask the dealer what he had it set to, but I assume it was the default setting. 

Some preamps can't handle the 6V input, but you'll want to test it in your system.

14 minutes ago, 992Sam said:

I listened to both ... the Bartok sounded better to my ears when playing just about anything where vocals wasn't the main focus 

Very interesting.  I thoroughly enjoy instrumental with the Tambaqui, but especially vocal music.  I thought it was the result of my speakers, since I find they excel in the midrange frequencies.  Haven't heard the Bartok.  Enjoy your new gear!