IGNORED

MQA The Truth lies Somewhere in the Middle

Something to ask about.  Ran across an iFi Nano I-one DAC  review which has firmware that when MQA is enabled, SPDIF output is disabled.  This is whether the input is MQA or anything else. 

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-ifi-nano-ione-dac.4754/post-106158

It also then prevents filter choices that were available with this device unless you roll back to previous firmware and forego MQA. 

https://audiosciencereview.com/forum/index.php?threads/review-and-measurements-of-ifi-nano-ione-dac.4754/post-106160

So this device which could be used to feed USB to an SPDIF output on this device loses functionality if it is MQA enabled.  How nice of the MQA to do this for owners of that DAC.  Prevent hardware capabilities from functioning that the owner paid for.  

But no DRM here.  Maybe more like HRM (hardware rights management).  

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

16 minutes ago, Shadders said:

Hi Jud,

No,  not in the US - the UK. Since i used the internet for US law - i do not know whether we are stricter - but the UK ASA has reprimanded hifi retailers/sellers for false claims etc.

Regards,

Shadders.

That proves Jud's point.  I cannot imagine such a reprimand happening in the US market for hifi. 

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

1 minute ago, Hugo9000 said:

Premium?  You can get it in that cheap-ass Meridian Explorer 2 for $200.  ?

The Premium isn't the equipment.  The extra Premium is to have Tidal light up MQA or some other service where you pay extra for MQA files.  You'll provide a little monthly income every month for MQA that way.  They'll probably give away Explorer's if you agreed to a two year contract with MQA enabled streaming. 

13 minutes ago, opus101 said:

Its been a while since I've been in a studio, though I did for a while work for a console company. I recall that external effects boxes are sometimes used, nowadays seems likely they're going to contain ADCs and DACs. Presumably those converters won't be on MQA's list of studio ADCs?

No presumably from what we've been told by Lee, as he runs bravely away, is sure almost any ADC is on the list.  

2 hours ago, John_Atkinson said:

Why not? I have published letters very critical of MQA, and have expressed my own criticisms and reservations. However, the author would not be able to hide behind an anonymous handle or a pseudonym. And they would have to fully disclose their professional affiliations.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

You've had a long long time writer who hid behind a fake pen name his whole career.  Tom Gillett I believe it was. Used a pen name of Sam Tellig.  Something most reading your mag didn't know for more than 20 years. 

38 minutes ago, cookiemarenco said:

You guys are pretty funny!  :) and what gives you the idea I fold my laundry?  LOL  ;)

Here's something to piss everyone off... a $12 single.  :) An credible live performance of I'm on Fire... amazing.  Recorded live, without overdubs to DSD256... Meghan Andrews..  the guitar sound is heaven.

https://bluecoastmusic.com/meghan-andrews/fire-single

Or... how about this... Devil Dub....   Reggae dub from 20 years ago remastered for today.

https://bluecoastmusic.com/devil-dub/devil-dub

Coupon code

DUB20

for a 20% discount.

Enjoy!

and oh... I have no opinion on MQA...  I can't find anyone to actually encode our music to test what it does.  :)

Cookie Marenco

Blue Coast Music

I take they might tell you if you sign an NDA.  

You bring to light an excellent point.  They claim to want producers and artists and engineers to get the sound they sign off on.  Yet you can't get encoding to see if you'll sign off on it or not. 

1 minute ago, John_Atkinson said:

Read postings from earlier today in this thread and enlightenment shall be yours.

John Atkinson

Editor, Stereophile

Yes I posted a reply before reading to the end.  Used a pseudonym to do it too!  That way you'll not know I'm a long time subscriber to your publication.  

9 minutes ago, Brinkman Ship said:

..at least Chris's wife did not sell ads for 20 years...which your wife did for Strereophile as you were editor...

I'm not sure I see a problem with this assuming it is true.

1 hour ago, Lee Scoggins said:

What they did was enlist the label staff.  The new innovation was they put the encoder in the cloud so the labels can encode the tracks themselves.

Is this the SoundOnSound article you refer to in the video?

https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/mqa-time-domain-accuracy-digital-audio-quality

42 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Coming from an MQA spokesperson, this has zero value and it's off topic. Has the material been peer reviewed by third parties? Why can't research show the same conclusion?

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19396

"Data shows that listeners were not able to significantly discriminate between MQA encoded files and the unprocessed original "

Fake news, fake news!

It should read, "Data shows that listeners found it was not subtle to significantly discriminate between MQA encoded files and the uprocessed original".  

42 minutes ago, FredericV said:

Coming from an MQA spokesperson, this has zero value and it's off topic. Has the material been peer reviewed by third parties? Why can't research show the same conclusion?

http://www.aes.org/e-lib/browse.cfm?elib=19396

"Data shows that listeners were not able to significantly discriminate between MQA encoded files and the unprocessed original "

Fake news, fake news!

It should read, "Data shows that listeners found it was not subtle to significantly discriminate between MQA encoded files and the uprocessed original".