IGNORED

Is Resolution The Only Barrier Between Stream And Own

rando

As of late I'd been neglecting all else in favor of good old 16/44.  A few conversations here reminded me how much good music lies outside this, the widest dispersed format currently, in either direction.  Which got me thinking about the need to keep on hand 3.6GB, reasonable size for SACD on hard drive, of CD quality music that is readily available through streaming.  Would I be safely storing anything but physical copies of music if a voice command or couple button presses brought DSD/DXD level quality to me over an internet connection?  Probably not forever.  Nothing is.  Ditching the endless amount of drives and backup routines and filtering new purchases into both has allure. 

What would it take you to agree all of the audiophile requirements were met at levels satisfactory to consider serious listening?

Streaming never sounds good, let alone better (I know, you did not ask for the latter).

Ehm, ditch the few SACD in favor of the million Redbook. You did not ask for that (opinion) either, but that's what it is about.

I have a fair deal of the SACD catalogue (ripped) and a couple of K Hires. It's only Redbook I play. Well, you know ...

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

No comprendo.

4 minutes ago, rando said:

Most of us consider storing the active file into RAM meeting one of them

Then most if us don't understand ?

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Ooh, the dreaded language barrier rears its head ( a little swollen red one smaller than a thumbnail).

What if streaming could be made to sound as good as a download or rip?  Maybe even through the intelligent processing of a certain known and well loved software.  ;)

1 hour ago, PeterSt said:

Streaming never sounds good, let alone better (I know, you did not ask for the latter).

Streaming redbook content from Tidal sounds no different than a downloaded cd of the same music.

I do agree with you about SACD's- I couldn't care less, none of the music I listen to is available on SACD, nor would I care if it did.  Redbook quality is high resolution in my book.

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

2 hours ago, mansr said:

If the same file is streamed, it sounds the same.

Constant network activity dl'ing a 3.6GB file is going to have an effect.  Why, the layers of anti-piracy code it would have to be wrapped in.  Even if you have a fast connection and it loads the entire file into RAM it will still be a tainted copy.  You are still incurring a lot of background processing.  Tidal was addicting but the music output ultimately lacked key intrinsic qualities.  

This wasn't the root of my question though.  If anything I attempted to swat all this aside and act as if a perfect replication of loading the disc had occurred.  Exploring what else stands between just enjoying music instead of doing all the other computercentric maintenance was very much what I've been debating.  Quite literally is the ability to force a handful of GB's downstream the only hurdle to redefining being a computer audiophile.  

4 hours ago, rando said:

As of late I'd been neglecting all else in favor of good old 16/44.  A few conversations here reminded me how much good music lies outside this, the widest dispersed format currently, in either direction.  Which got me thinking about the need to keep on hand 3.6GB, reasonable size for SACD on hard drive, of CD quality music that is readily available through streaming.  Would I be safely storing anything but physical copies of music if a voice command or couple button presses brought DSD/DXD level quality to me over an internet connection?  Probably not forever.  Nothing is.  Ditching the endless amount of drives and backup routines and filtering new purchases into both has allure. 

What would it take you to agree all of the audiophile requirements were met at levels satisfactory to consider serious listening?

Hi,

Redbook (level) playback (or streaming) on a LAN, via a NAS, - has significantly higher SQ than playing back via streaming through an Internet Service.

Plus, the availability of music on any streaming service is grossly limited, and only going to get worse.

Plus, streaming services do not pay fair royalties.

27 minutes ago, diecaster said:

I have no idea what you are trying to say. 

You may prefer the monysllabic grunting in the general direction of a topical matter followed by a command to Discuss that has spurred many longwinded threads here.  x-D

It was a somewhat open topic with enough contradictions to allow personally defining what, if anything, would keep you chained to physical copying and maintaining disc images.