IGNORED

Steve Hoffman's Ongaku

21 minutes ago, diecaster said:

You guys need to worry about the planks in your own eyes before you start judging others and how they live their lives and runs their forums.

Hoffman's forum is a fantastic resource whether or not you like the owner.

When I make, sorry, inherit my millions and then beg for donations to run a rudimentary forum, which I use to procure hundreds of thousands of dollars of free goods and services..I am sure you will give me a pass.

1 hour ago, Brinkman Ship said:

When I make, sorry, inherit my millions and then beg for donations to run a rudimentary forum, which I use to procure hundreds of thousands of dollars of free goods and services..I am sure you will give me a pass.

I couldn’t care less....

I wish someone...anyone... who owned Ongakus would invite me over for a listen.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

8 hours ago, jcbenten said:

I wish someone...anyone... who owned Ongakus would invite me over for a listen.

Why?

I guess hype in the audiophile circle really has a profound impact in the minds of consumers...

"Science draws the wave, poetry fills it with water" Teixeira de Pascoaes

HQPlayer Desktop / Mac mini → Intona 7054 → RME ADI-2 DAC FS (DSD256)

19 minutes ago, mansr said:

Expensive firewood.

Looks like heat shimmer... Probably improves soundstage when you look at it.

1 hour ago, mansr said:

Expensive firewood.

Even on the Steve Hoffman forum, nobody seems to fall for it.

Judging from the pictures in the endless "Post photos of your systems/rooms here" threads on the SH forum, the most popular listening room improvement device is the lava lamp.

Claude

4 hours ago, semente said:

Why?

I guess hype in the audiophile circle really has a profound impact in the minds of consumers...

Curiosity.  I would never buy.  If I decided to change my system I would go with active speakers.

QNAP TS453Pro w/QLMS->Netgear Switch->Netgear RAX43 Router->Ethernet (50 ft)->Netgear switch->SBTouch ->SABAJ A10d->Linn Majik-IL (preamp)->Linn 2250->Linn Keilidh; Control Points: iPeng (iPad Air & iPhone); Also: Rega P3-24 w/ DV 10x5; OPPO 103; PC Playback: Foobar2000 & JRiver; Portable: iPhone 12 ProMax & Radio Paradise or NAS streaming; Sony NWZ ZX2 w/ PHA-3; SMSL IQ, Fiio Q5, iFi Nano iDSD BL; Garage: Edifier S1000DB Active Speakers  

1 hour ago, jcbenten said:

Curiosity.  I would never buy.  If I decided to change my system I would go with active speakers.

One of our CA forum members has the Ongaku, I just can't recall his name at the moment.  If memory serves, he is running horn speakers (Avanteguard Acoustic) and possibly lives in NYC?  

I stumbled on this Audio Note UK factory tour and Mercedes road trip story on Sunday when I was bored:

https://parttimeaudiophile.com/2017/08/12/audio-note-uk-factory-tours-and-life-in-the-fast-lane-with-peter-qvortrup/

They do a great job of creating/cultivating an "image" for the company much like you get with other luxury good companies such as Rolex, Patek, Hugo Boss, etc.  I suspect this helps to foster the cult following and mystique and encourages some to want to be part of the club.  Great marketing, but it is a necessity if they are going to sell this crazy expensive stuff, similar to expensive Swiss watches, etc.

What I found odd was that in the listening room of the Audio Note UK CEO, and another Audio Note distributor, the Audio Note speakers were jammed up in the corners against the wall.  Is this the preferred setup for these speakers?  If not, it seems odd to me to have hundreds of thousands of dollars of gear and seemingly ignore room acoustic treatments and speaker setup (unless these speakers sound better crammed against the wall and cluttered rooms lined with racks of vinyl improves room acoustics :)).

Speaker Room: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Pacific 2 | Viva Linea | Constellation Inspiration Stereo 1.0 | FinkTeam Kim | dual Rythmik E15HP subs  

Office Headphone System: Lumin U1X | Lampizator Golden Gate 3 | Viva Egoista | Abyss AB1266 Phi TC 

3 hours ago, agentsmith said:

Hi,

Thanks for this. It does put into perspective the behaviour of some of the high end manufacturers owners. Especially the part about the designer being ill, which is quite despicable.

Hiroyasu Kondo and subsequent posts indicates that Audio Note UK were as of the year 2000, Hiroyasu Kondo designs. Has Audio Note UK employed a designer since then, or are they just re-badging/re-casing the existing designs with slight component changes ?

I have seen elsewhere on the internet that another designer was conned out his designs by salesmen, and he obtained very little profit from it.

Regards,

Shadders.

16 hours ago, Brinkman Ship said:

I often find that "multi-millionheirs" are not.   

If anyone knows you are worth "multi-millions" then you have failed.

In any dispute the intensity of feeling is inversely proportional to the value of the issues at stake ~ Sayre's Law

2 hours ago, the_bat said:

Why would someone want to hear an Ongaku based system? Because it represents the apogee of one very specific approach to amplifier design which can produce absolutely enthralling results in a sympathetic system.

Would you mind defining "apogee"?

We are talking about a very expensive SET amplifier with a distinctive house-sound.

How is this relevant in the context of high fidelity reproduction of recorded music?

From the OED

Apogee Noun 1. the highest point in the development of something; a climax or culmination.

So, in this case, the single ended triode amplifier developed as far as it can be through exotic components and materials. 

Now you might not like SETs on principle, but that’s not the issue. 

On 7/29/2018 at 8:59 AM, sphinxsix said:

Simple facts. A week ago Steve Hoffman had created a thread about $140k Audio Note Ongaku SET amp he was going to get. He has been quite active on it ever since praising Ongaku and Audio Note in general.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-note-uk-ongaku-kensei-211-valve-single-ended-triode-balanced-amplifier-now-up-running.685663/

Some time later (page 8 of the thread) he admitted that the amp was a GIFT from Audio Note.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-note-uk-ongaku-kensei-211-valve-single-ended-triode-balanced-amplifier-now-up-running.685663/page-8#post-18517942

Furthermore yesterday he 'pinned' (!) a new thread which is a list of Audio Note UK AN-E speakers versions (he himself uses one of them - the AN-E/SPx HE Alnico to be exact) atop the Audio Hardware forum.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/audio-note-uk-an-e-speaker-choices-from-cheapest-to-most-expensive-a-handy-and-useful-chart.765769/

What do you think guys - will the Steve Hoffman's Ongaku ($140k is obviously a retail price) prove to be a good investment for Audio Note.?

I'm pretty sure it will :D

Honestly, I don't think reviews like these move much product in that kind of a price range. I think such product, especially a SET, sell much more via dealer consultation and system design than by reviews like that. The number of speakers that can be used with Ongaku is quite limited.

NUC10i7 + Roon ROCK > dCS Rossini APEX DAC + dCS Rossini Master Clock 

SME 20/3 + SME V + Dynavector XV-1s or ANUK IO Gold > vdH The Grail or Kondo KSL-SFz + ANK L3 Phono 

Audio Note Kondo Ongaku > Avantgarde Duo Mezzo

Signal cables: Kondo Silver, Crystal Cable phono

Power cables: Kondo, Shunyata, van den Hul

system pics