IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

I am using a Mac and I am not having the volume drag show up when I look in finder. 
I have tried two different micro USB cords. 
I am on the East Coast and I have plugged my TV in to the ether region and I am trying to get this put back together before the family gets up to watch the Thanksgiving day parade

i’m going to see if I can find a third micro USB to make sure that it has data

I am also going to see if I can get this to work any better on a non-Mac laptop

Same here....I had several microUSB cables, some had a tag "no data" on it most did not but hard to tell by looking if they are normal data cables or not.  Got lucky with the one I used and the process was straightforward.

2 channel : full Innuos suite / Black Cat USB cables / Kii Three BXT

Desktop : Innuos PulseMINI / Roon ROCK / SaBaj A20d amp-DAC / DCA E3 headphones

2 hours ago, Indydan said:

I know this is off topic. But Alex, any plans to build an audiophile router? 

Not really.  Perhaps I don’t understand networking enough, but given that virtually all cable and ADSL modems for internet service into the home already handle DHCP assignment duties, what is the use case for a separate router for the average user?

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Not really.  Perhaps I don’t understand networking enough, but given that virtually all cable and ADSL modems for internet service into the home already handle DHCP assignment duties, what is the use case for a separate router for the average user?

The wireless radios in many of the ISP approved modem/router boxes are not very good.  You can also do a lot of interesting things with a set of mesh routers like Eero or Orbi.

Pareto Audio AMD 7700 Server --> Berkeley Alpha USB --> Jeff Rowland Aeris --> Jeff Rowland 625 S2 --> Focal Utopia 3 Diablos with 2 x Focal Electra SW 1000 BE subs

i7-6700K/Windows 10  --> EVGA Nu Audio Card --> Focal CMS50's 

Hi Alex

Is the date of December 12 still valid for the shipment of the second batch?

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

7 hours ago, Superdad said:

Most cable/ADSL modems only allocate one IP address (either public or private IP) so if one wants to share the Internet access with multiple devices then a NAT (Network Address Translator) will be needed. The NAT will use the ISP's assigned address in the outgoing link and then allocate private IPs (192.x.x.x or 10.x.x.x) to devices inside the home network.

As the external/internal networks are in different subnets it is a Layer 3 router rather than a Layer-2 Ethernet switch (which doesn't process IP headers at all). In many use cases the router is also a WiFi AP.

8 hours ago, Superdad said:

Ok. I thought a router could make an improvement. My mistake.

I'm sure this has been asked before and I did a search but came up empty. I noticed this in the product description:

"The circuitry across the ADIM™ (moat) is designed to eliminate the signal-borne phase-noise from one side to the other. EtherREGEN is mostly symmetrical—there is no “dirty side” or “clean side.” While it works identically in both directions, it is best to have the DAC-attached Ethernet endpoint device (computer/streamer/etc.) alone on one side—typically the ‘B’ side."

Can the EtherRegen be used in reverse with the ethernet feed going to the B side and the filtered output being available to the 4 ports on the A side? Thanks.

29 minutes ago, cbnbmore said:

Can the EtherRegen be used in reverse with the ethernet feed going to the B side and the filtered output being available to the 4 ports on the A side? Thanks.

Yes -- you can use the switch both ways.  However, the four ports on the A side are not isolated from each other to the extent of the "moat" that isolates the B side.

(1) holo audio red (hqp naa) > chord dave > luxman cl-38uc/mq-88uc > kef reference 1
(2) simaudio moon mind 2 > chord qutest > luxman sq-n150 > monitor audio gold gx100
8 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Yes, though a lot of the second batch units will ship a day or two sooner than that. :D

Notices with tracking numbers are sent automatically on the day of shipment.

👏👏👏.

With all the descriptions about the improvements that are being published here, this wait is being torture.

Francisco

Aries Cerat Kassandra Ref. MKII / Melco N1ZH60-2 / Audio Research Ref. 5 SE / Gryphon Essence Stereo / Rockport Atria I / Göbel XLR and RCA Cables / Göbel Ethernet and USB Cables / Sablon Ethernet Cabe / MIT Magnum MA Sepeakers Cables / Shunyata Everest 8000 / Shunyata Omega XC (1), Sigma NR V2 (3), Sigma NR V1(1) and Alfa NR V1 (2) / Paul Hynes SR7T for Melco S-100 Pink Faun Upgraded / Farad Super3 for IPS Modem-Router / Center Stage2 0.8, 1.0 and 1.5

23 minutes ago, jcn3 said:

Yes -- you can use the switch both ways.  However, the four ports on the A side are not isolated from each other to the extent of the "moat" that isolates the B side.

This is why I took Alex’s advice and daisy-chained my Netgear switch (taking router and server inputs) into the B port and only used the SFP port on the A side - into an OpticalRendu. Initial listening impressions suggested it sounded a bit bright, but I’ll reserve judgement until after a week or so. I suspect my use of an HD Plex LPSU to power items either side of the Moat is a sub-optimal approach (undoing the good work of the Moat?) and I am using an LPS-1.2 to power the ER. Although the LPS-1.2 is fed with a ground-shunted Meanwell SMPS, there is currently no ground wire on the ER ground screw. Not sure if that matters though? If the advice is to add a ground wire, I’ll do it.

Thanks for the replies. Was considering purchase and going one lead into EtherRegen B side and feeding Nuc running Roon on one output and one direct to Bridge II on DSDJr.

Do you think the EtherRegen will help with noise within the Nuc or are they by nature just bad when it comes to noise levels? I do feed the Nuc good power from a LPS. 

18 minutes ago, cbnbmore said:

Thanks for the replies. Was considering purchase and going one lead into EtherRegen B side and feeding Nuc running Roon on one output and one direct to Bridge II on DSDJr.

Do you think the EtherRegen will help with noise within the Nuc or are they by nature just bad when it comes to noise levels? I do feed the Nuc good power from a LPS. 

Well I and lots of others here have NUCs.

But more importantly, unless I am missing something about your system--do you have two DACs?--the best way to configure the EtherREGEN in you set up is to attach both a network feed (something that leads back your IP-address-providing DHCP router or modem) and your NUC to the 'A'-side ports, and then just the PS Audio DSDJr/Bridge II to the 'B' side port.

That is the configuration that most everyone here uses.  And there are several very happy EtherREGEN >> PSA DirectStream/Bridge II users here. :)