IGNORED

EtherREGEN: The long development thread. [Some Gen2 dev. pics and update starting on page 92.]

@superdad, I ordered an Etheregen from your HK dealer. I'm in Australia. Can you tell me whether the shipment will be sent to Hong Kong or will it be drop shipped to customers directly? I'm hoping to get my unit before I go away on the 22nd December.

12 minutes ago, scumbag said:

@superdad, I ordered an Etheregen from your HK dealer. I'm in Australia. Can you tell me whether the shipment will be sent to Hong Kong or will it be drop shipped to customers directly? I'm hoping to get my unit before I go away on the 22nd December.

It will go to the dealer who should then take care of import duty to that territory. 

6 hours ago, jandersonhill said:

Same here, although I found the screws a tad difficult to remove. I ended up using rubber gloves to get enough grip on the screwdriver and rotating the opposite side of the unit to use the unit as a lever! I may get some new screws as, while the screw heads are fine, the paint on them has gone AWOL.

At first I got the wrong screwdriver (T10x50mm)  from my wife (at lone from the hospital). But you really need T10x85mm (in Europe) to get good grip. I didn't know there are different sizes T10, so perhaps Superdad should add this to the manual, because a misfit can destroy the screws.

36 minutes ago, Cable Monkey said:

It will go to the dealer who should then take care of import duty to that territory. 

I wasn't asking about import duty, I'm thinking about lead times. If it is drop shipped then it will get here about 2/3 weeks sooner. Actually I got word from the Hk dealer. Apparently delivery to HK is meant to be the 12th.

5 hours ago, jos said:

At first I got the wrong screwdriver (T10x50mm)  from my wife (at lone from the hospital). But you really need T10x85mm (in Europe) to get good grip. I didn't know there are different sizes T10, so perhaps Superdad should add this to the manual, because a misfit can destroy the screws.

Ah, good point about the 85m, I seem to have missed that in the instructions.

5 hours ago, scumbag said:

We ship in bulk to our dealers—who in turn ship to their customers (mostly in their local regions). If we drop-shipped, then what would be the point of having dealers? 9_9

AfterDark in Hong Kong will be receiving 90 EhterREGENs from the December batch. But due to tight production timeline (less than half of our 250 circuit boards arrived just yesterday, with the rest not arriving until next week >:(), we told AfterDark we would ship 45 units on about the 10th, and the other 45 by the 19th. We ship via fast FedEx—arrival to them takes 4 days at most. So getting your order from Hong Kong by the 22nd really depends upon where you are in that dealers queue. (And I do not know if they have fully pre-sold their 90 December unit’s.)

Just to be clear for others: If you have a direct order with us for a December-batch EtherREGEN, it will ship on time by December 12th, exactly as promised.  And those of you who are overseas and chose the $34 FedEx Express option (same price as slower Priority Mail Intl.), we use the faster FedEx Priority (not Economy) service which, to most of Europe and Asia is just 2-4 days.

5 hours ago, jos said:

Un no. As far as I know, a T10 is a T10 (though there is such a thing as Torx Plus).

What you are referring to is length of the shaft—which does not affect fit of the bit to the screw. 

Now I admit that the screws can be somewhat tight as we use a cordless driver to insert them (can you imagine the time and the wrist damage if my assistant hand inserted every screw? :o)

All that said, the fit of different brands of Torx bits will vary slightly. And it is important that badly worn bits not be used. We went through about 5 different brands to find best fit and decent wear-life. And still we toss out about 5 during each run of 250 as the elections driver is hard on them.

50 minutes ago, Superdad said:

We ship in bulk to our dealers—who in turn ship to their customers (mostly in their local regions). If we drop-shipped, then what would be the point of having dealers? 9_9

AfterDark in Hong Kong will be receiving 90 EhterREGENs from the December batch. But due to tight production timeline (less than half of our 250 circuit boards arrived just yesterday, with the rest not arriving until next week >:(), we told AfterDark we would ship 45 units on about the 10th, and the other 45 by the 19th. We ship via fast FedEx—arrival to them takes 4 days at most. So getting your order from Hong Kong by the 22nd really depends upon where you are in that dealers queue. (And I do not know if they have fully pre-sold their 90 December unit’s.)

Just to be clear for others: If you have a direct order with us for a December-batch EtherREGEN, it will ship on time by December 12th, exactly as promised.  And those of you who are overseas and chose the $34 FedEx Express option (same price as slower Priority Mail Intl.), we use the faster FedEx Priority (not Economy) service which, to most of Europe and Asia is just 2-4 days.

Yes that’s right, if i can give a tip, choose fedex over USPS, my etherregen was 1,5 weeks longer on the road with USPS and no view for more then a week where he was.

34 minutes ago, Superdad said:

Un no. As far as I know, a T10 is a T10 (though there is such a thing as Torx Plus).

What you are referring to is length of the shaft—which does not affect fit of the bit to the screw. 

Now I admit that the screws can be somewhat tight as we use a cordless driver to insert them (can you imagine the time and the wrist damage if my assistant hand inserted every screw? :o)

All that said, the fit of different brands of Torx bits will vary slightly. And it is important that badly worn bits not be used. We went through about 5 different brands to find best fit and decent wear-life. And still we toss out about 5 during each run of 250 as the elections driver is hard on them.

Both the screwdrivers I was speaking about differ in thickness too, not only the shaft. Perhaps the first one is a special medical one. I really don’t know, but the second one fits very good and that can be important.

1 hour ago, jandersonhill said:

Ah, good point about the 85m, I seem to have missed that in the instructions.

I almost ruined mine ER. I was thinking perhaps this screwdriver is heavily used and not good anymore, so I went out to a shop and asked for a new T10 and got the right one. And then I noticed at home a different additional description on both T10 screwdrivers, which seems to be the cause, as I mentioned above.

1 hour ago, Superdad said:

Interesting.  Can you advise if there will be a similar split for the UK AudioStore / VortexBox "Batch 2" supply?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

38 minutes ago, Confused said:

Can you advise if there will be a similar split for the UK AudioStore / VortexBox "Batch 2" supply?

Audiostore UK is getting a total of 45 units from the December batch.  We will not be splitting their shipment and the whole order will most likely ship to them on the same day (Dec. 10th?) as the first half of Hong Kong's order.

Happy to report that though the screws on my ER were snugly tightened, I loosened and retightened them without incident using a regular (non-medical) Torx  T-10 bit with an inexpensive set of smallish bits/screwdriver I have.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

3 hours ago, Superdad said:

Isn’t there a torque setting on the cordless screwdriver?

Meitner ma1 v2 dac,  Sovereign preamp and power amp,

DIY speakers, scan speak illuminator.

Raal Requisite VM-1a -> SR-1a with Accurate Sound convolution.

Under development:

NUC7i7dnbe, Euphony Stylus, Qobuz.

Modded Buffalo-fiber-EtherRegen, DC3- Isoregen, Lush^2

7 minutes ago, Middy said:

Just put the screw driver in the fridge before undoing them..

Cryogenically treated tool bits are a bit more durable. We tested these a while back:

https://www.amazon.com/T10-Torx-Power-Bit-length/dp/B010MJWT2K

But my assistant found them to be to long for comfort with here cordless screwdriver, so we use a different brand now. 

Sorry a little apprentice engineer humour with a hint of truth....i nearly suggested 2 cans of WD40 and an ice bath but the angry

E-mail from your assistant about the new returns she is getting..... simple trick keep the tx square then a light tap on top. Drives the shaft down a touch and breaks the alu thread- coated screw bond....or just wait til its cool...  going down the helpful rabbit hole sorry Alex.... 

Why are there no Dr Audiophiles...

They have no patients....

Well, I've got an issue during my firmware update.

After dragging and dropping the firmware update file, the copy process is hanging with the Windows "spinning circle" showing.

It's been this way for about 15 minutes now with no sign of clearing itself up.

I'm concerned about stopping the process for fear of bricking the ER.

I've left messages for Alex but will appreciate any help anyone else has to offer.

Thanks.

Joel

7 minutes ago, joelha said:

So now I just receive a message saying the file I'm trying to copy is too large for the destination file system.

Joel

What file are you trying to copy to the EtherRegen folder?

Speakers: Vandersteen Model 7s, 4 M&K ST-150Ts, 1 VCC-5; Amplification: 2 Vandersteen M7-HPAs, CI Audio D200 MKII, Ayre V-6xe; Preamp: Doshi Audio Line Stage v3.0; Phono Pre: Doshi Audio Phono Pre; Analog: Wave Kinetics NVS with Durand Telos composite arm; SME 3012R arm, Clearaudio Goldfinger Statement v2; Reel to Reel:  Technics RS-1500; Doshi Tape Pre-Amp; Studer A810, Studer A812, Tascam BR-20; Multi-channel: Bryston SP-3; Digital: Custom PC (Sean Jacobs DC4/Euphony/Stylus)> Lampizator Pacific