IGNORED

Article: MQA: A Review of controversies, concerns, and cautions

36 minutes ago, NOMBEDES said:

Ask the old, original bluesmen who don't even have a headstone how well artists have done against the music industry.  Theft, shit contracts, exploitation, streaming payments, MQA, ......... the artists, for the most part, is not going to do well.   If you want to be an artist, you would be well served to get a lawyer for your 16th birthday.   Or have Taylor Swift's parents.

At the same time the artists to blame for signing their rights away. Nobody is innocent in this business. 

A story for another day. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

22 minutes ago, Archimago said:

Great work FredericV on that script and the experiments you did.

I must admit I was surprised that the MQA system did not account for or "authenticate" those last 8-bits considering that the information buried there are what ostensibly makes the whole system "hi-res" in the first place! Truly, the blue/green/whatever color light is meaningless...

Is there any way to upsample a track and have it still illuminate the light?

im just thinking about ways unscrupulous people have sold music and things MQA says it prevents. 

If its possible to hack MQA into illuminating the light that’s one thing, but if standard nefarious methods can do the same, that’s a much larger issue  

Not a positive either way though. 

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Pete-FIN said:

Breaking news, the ownership of Stereophile has changed.

The news story is here:

https://www.stereophile.com/content/avtech-media-ltd-uk-acquires-home-tech-network-ten-publishing-media

AVTech Media Ltd (UK) has purchased the Home Tech Network...

The Home Tech Network's six brands including Stereophile, Sound & Vision, Shutterbug, AnalogPlanet, Audiostream, and Innerfidelity...

It will be interesting to follow if there is journalistic changes in Stereophile.

I can just see the war on pseudonyms beginning now :~) 

1 minute ago, crenca said:

Interesting.  Is there any other DAC manufacturer who has this kind of relationship with MQA that you know of?  Also, why dCS?  Often such things are forged personally, for example is the owner/principle of dCS a current or former employee/associate of Bob S?

Not that I know of, but that doesn't mean much. 

I think there is definitely a Cambridge connection between Bob and dCS. 

• 1 month later...
  • 7 months later...
1 minute ago, Sfellows331 said:

In most cases this is probably true. But among artists who are aware of the purported sonic benefits of MQA and have listened to their recordings in the format, and I am sure there are some, do they tend to like or dislike the result?  I haven't looked into this and you may know more than I do here.  

If an artist says that he prefers the MQA version over an uncompressed version of his music that's available to the public, should his view be taken seriously in the discussion of sound quality?   

All views should be taken seriously. I think the real test is with an artist who values sound quality creating a new recording. Which version comes closest to the product s/he has in mind or wants to release. To date I don't know of any unpaid or un-vested interests supplying such an opinion.

• 2 weeks later...
31 minutes ago, Sfellows331 said:

Hey milkeyfresh, mansr, and crenca...you need to look at your recent posts. It's groupthink with no diversity of thought. I agree with the concerns for monopoly but i also like the sound, not that it matters..

Hi @Sfellows331 - I understand you may reach this conclusion based on what you've read in their responses, but I encourage you to dig a little deeper into the examination of MQA done by @mansr from a technical perspective. He was digging into this years ago and has spent more time researching it than he probably like to admit. 

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, Sfellows331 said:

MQA is like a rising totalitarian government that promises good things. Then once fully in power everyone realizes they've lost their freedom.

And from the point of view of MQA Ltd they are just giving the record labels options. If the labels stop releasing non-MQA material then MQA Ltd can just say it isn’t their decision, it’s the labels’ decision. MQA Ltd can’t lose. 

• 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, HelpfulDad said:

So much discussion about theory but have all of you actually heard fully decoded MQA content?  The difference is dramatic.  I can understand discussion about whether that duffereosound is good or not.  But I can’t understand those who opine about quality without experience hearing it, or those who don’t know how it actually works.

I was skeptical til I heard it.  The time domain corrections are remarkable.  I think a professional drummer could discern specific cymbals used on tracks.  Cymbals from digital sources have always annoyed me

I don’t know why people think it’s a DRM scheme. It’s just clever digital signal processing 

Oh yeah. Mansr found DRM inside when he tore it apart. 

• 1 year later...
11 minutes ago, HelpfulDad said:

Using that logic,  CD, Dolby B, SACD and cassettes are DRM schemes as well because we had/have to pay Sony and/or Philips to use those technologies.  Someday, a CD could include a content licensing scheme.  And, Neil Young, et al, found a way to enforce content licensing with PCM, so the ability to embed a scheme means nothing. 

MQA sounds most accurate, small files and most of the naysayers haven’t even heard it properly decoded, while artists who have verified it have agreed the sound is accurate.

Oh yeah, I forgot they’re in on it too.  Verifying accuracy because they want more money.  Some people just want to object for the sake of objecting.

Of the millions of batch processed Warner music, how many tracks were verified by the artists? What about the dead artists?