IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

I have a weird problem with a Roon / sMS-200ultra/ USBultra setup connecting to the USB input of a Hegel 590 Integrated Amplifier.

I am getting a high pitch but faint sound out of my speakers that goes up and down with the volume when either or both of the SOtM units are in the chain. When I go directly from the Roon server to the Hegel there are no problems.

In another configuration  Roon / sMS-200ultra/ USBultra -> PS Audio DirectStream DAC USB input -> Pass Labs Preamplifier/Amplifier I have absolutely no problems.

Trying to figure what incompatibility there is between the Hegel 590 USB input and 200ultra alone or 200ultra+USBultra. I have tried logical checks like swapping USB cables, connecting the Hegel to a different AC outlet, but no luck.

Also wondering if there is a Roon Server setting that might solve the high pitch sound issue.

• 1 month later...

I'm kinda getting tired of dealing with issues with my SOTM 200 ultra. The microSD keeps corrupting leading me to have to re-burn it and now its not even turning on. Fiddling with the annoying power switch on the SPS 500.. its just a big hassle.

Can anyone recommend  a network streamer that performs as well if not better than this combo but that is more stable and reliable? Also something with a normal proper power switch?

Ideally I would like a network streamer only as I want to use my own dac and want to put all the money into the streaming component. 

@smodtactical dont know of it is you that wrote on Roon forum about this but I wrote an answer there. 

SOtM have problems with the firmware, since 4.22 the problem with the SD card have come more often. Last time it happened to me I bought a new SD card and now it works but for how long.

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
43 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

I'm kinda getting tired of dealing with issues with my SOTM 200 ultra. The microSD keeps corrupting leading me to have to re-burn it and now its not even turning on. Fiddling with the annoying power switch on the SPS 500.. its just a big hassle.

Can anyone recommend  a network streamer that performs as well if not better than this combo but that is more stable and reliable? Also something with a normal proper power switch?

Ideally I would like a network streamer only as I want to use my own dac and want to put all the money into the streaming component. 

No issues here at all to be honest. Can't remember which firmware I'm on currently, it was updated by SOTM some months ago when I sent my SMS200-Ultra and txUSB-Ultra to them for all the upgrades.

That said, I need to sell mine now, as I'm switching to fully active speakers, and can't use USB output [Anyone interested in buying a fully upgraded SOTM Ultra Trifecta, PM me]

As for an alternative streamer for you, the only ones I would consider that should be competitive on a sound quality level are the Lumin U1 if you want Roon integration, or the Aurender N10 if you don't.

46 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

A far superior stand-alone streamer would be the Aries G1. It cost twice though...Personally, I opted for an Auralic product, and after the initial jolt of financial pain have been nothing but happy.

Another approach is a computer based server. That is, If you can find a good software to remotely to operate the computer over your phone or tablet. If you want to covert the USB signal to either AES or SPDIF, I have a fantastic solution, although not conventional: mindDPS U-DIO8. The sound quality is very high, and it costs only $400, which is far below most converters. The DB25 cable is cumbersome, but for $40 you can order a custom cable with only one node. If that' something of interest to you, PM me and I'll explain farther. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

Regarding issues: I have the "basic" SMS200 and so far I had issues with Qobuz in DLNA mode (which have disappeared after a change of my home network setup from Airport Express to UniFi AMPLIFI instant). I have now switched to Roon as player and my only qualm is that after prolonged non-usage (e.g 4-5 days) I need to reboot the SMS200.

Regarding alternatives: this is too broad a question so I guess a avalanche of suggestions are to be expected :-). From personal experience I have used integrated streamers (NAIM NDX) which I was by very happy with. Currently I have moved to Antipodes EX running Roon into a USB DAC. The software that Rendu and Antipodes use are basically the same so I could easily think of Rendu products as a good alternative. What I have heard that SoTM has been "influenced" by Rendu in designing their products. I would be inclined to believe that the Rendu software will be more reliable.

8 hours ago, DrPo said:

Regarding issues: I have the "basic" SMS200 and so far I had issues with Qobuz in DLNA mode (which have disappeared after a change of my home network setup from Airport Express to UniFi AMPLIFI instant). I have now switched to Roon as player and my only qualm is that after prolonged non-usage (e.g 4-5 days) I need to reboot the SMS200.

Regarding alternatives: this is too broad a question so I guess a avalanche of suggestions are to be expected :-). From personal experience I have used integrated streamers (NAIM NDX) which I was by very happy with. Currently I have moved to Antipodes EX running Roon into a USB DAC. The software that Rendu and Antipodes use are basically the same so I could easily think of Rendu products as a good alternative. What I have heard that SoTM has been "influenced" by Rendu in designing their products. I would be inclined to believe that the Rendu software will be more reliable.

A last word of advice, I'd stay clear of any product with DAC functionality (Matrix Element-X mentioned above is one example; Naim NDX is another). Not that those are bad products--far from it--but you pay for unneeded functionality. You'd probably get a better bang for the buck with a dedicated streamer. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

• 3 weeks later...
13 hours ago, FredM said:

Based on the topic length, the sMS-200 Ultra is older than 2 years.

Are there any signs of a sMS-300?

(I’ve only seen an upcoming SOtM server mentioned on AS for q3/q4)

The sMs-200 Ultra Neo is only about one year old.

Main System: QNAP TS-451+ NAS > Silent Angel Bonn N8 > Sonore opticalModule Deluxe v2 > Corning SMF with Finisar FTLF1318P3BTL SFPs > Uptone EtherREGEN > exaSound PlayPoint and e32 Mk-II DAC > Meitner MTR-101 Plus monoblocks > Bamberg S5-MTM sealed standmount speakers. 

Crown XLi 1500 powering  AV123 Rocket UFW10 stereo subwoofers

Upgraded power on all switches, renderer and DAC. 

• 3 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Thomas_2013 said:

Do you think the Neo-Upgrade to 200-ultra is worth the money? Please tell me your experience..

I had the sotm 200ultra and now have the neo version.  a slight difference between both devices in sound quality.  If you have a handy technician in the area, he can modify the existing one for 5-50 dollars.

14 hours ago, Thomas_2013 said:

Do you think the Neo-Upgrade to 200-ultra is worth the money? Please tell me your experience..

I bought the cap (one single large capacitor) from the agent that handles the sales here in Sweden and changed it my self. Not very hard if you are used to do soldering and taking apart electronics.

And was it worth it well it did not cost so much to do it and there were a small elevation in SQ but not by much to my ears.

I decided a couple of weeks ago to sell it and go with another brand but that is a different story....

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
15 hours ago, Thomas_2013 said:

I agree with others that the Neo upgrade provides a small improvement in sound quality.  In my case I found the original sMS-200Ultra to sound a little bright and thin in my system, albeit with superb dynamics and detail.  With many recordings I found the thin / bright issue to be quite annoying, so I was finding hard to love the sMS-200Ultra.  With the Neo update, this issue was mitigated, and so subjectively I have been enjoying the Neo vastly more that than the original sMS-200Ultra.  In my case the relatively small uplift in sound quality made a very big difference to my enjoyment of my system.  This point will obviously be system / ears dependent, but you might be able to judge based on how you find your own sMS-200Ultra in your system.

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

SOtM wrote this in the press release and some of it was audible in my system perhaps not the big change that @Confused felt it gave him in his system byt that is clearly system dependent.

"SOtM is going to release the sMS-200 Neo and sMS-200ultra Neo. They are a newer version of the original sMS-200 and sMS-200ultra, and sound colors and sound characteristic are different from the original version. The Neo has deeper mid-range and better bass expressions compared to the original version. And the original version has little more dynamics and presents bright sound compared to Neo version. With such changes, the overall balance of Neo becomes richer and brings musical inspiration."

Main system

Second system

Hi everybody!  I just bought  the Sotm sms 200 ultra neo (paul hynes SR4)  and Chord qutest dac. I'm very happy with  the sound! I'm getting a realism in music that I haven't heard in my previous setup Sms 200 ( paul hynes SR4 )+ wyred recovery ( uptone Lps 1.2)+chord mojo +curious cables  .  Although I'm having a much superior  sound , I feel that I had more body( weight ) in my previous setup ...

I'm thinking of getting the Iso regen ( by what I have been reading ,it looks it will add some body to the music ) or the sotm tx-usbultra ( I read it keeps things a bit lean still... which is not what I'm looking for).

My questions are : 1 - Will the iso regen be redundant or it will give me a similar improvement as the TX usb?

2 - If I buy the Tx , Will I have more body in my music?

I'm still new in this Audiophile world, any clarification would be much appreciated 👌

I would burn the SMS 200 in for a couple of weeks first. It may change signature (warm up).

I think what you are hearing now is a new unit, and also increased detail from the better renderer. I would be surpassed if the bass is less and less body, as I suggest I expect it is more transparency you are now getting (more detail).

Spanish Distributor for Aries Cerat

Two Channel System: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Aries Cerat Genus SET Integrated Amplifier, Plinius SA-103 Power Amplifier, Zingali Horns Client Name Evo 1.2.

Headphone system: Aries Cerat Kassadra DAC, Violectric V281 Headphone Amplifier, Audeze LCD4 2018, LCD2-Classic 2018.

I do realize the superior detail I'm having now ( realism ), but a bit more body I would welcome . I'm not talking about bloated bass, that I already had... when I plugged the Wyred recovery to the sms ultra  . Inexplicable to me... The wyred recovery worked very Very well with sms 200 , with the sms ultra it ruined ... the bass it got  fuzzy , bloated instead of well defined like it was in the sms 200 .