rattosecond

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

Rate this topic

I have a weird problem with a Roon / sMS-200ultra/ USBultra setup connecting to the USB input of a Hegel 590 Integrated Amplifier.

I am getting a high pitch but faint sound out of my speakers that goes up and down with the volume when either or both of the SOtM units are in the chain. When I go directly from the Roon server to the Hegel there are no problems.

In another configuration  Roon / sMS-200ultra/ USBultra -> PS Audio DirectStream DAC USB input -> Pass Labs Preamplifier/Amplifier I have absolutely no problems.

Trying to figure what incompatibility there is between the Hegel 590 USB input and 200ultra alone or 200ultra+USBultra. I have tried logical checks like swapping USB cables, connecting the Hegel to a different AC outlet, but no luck.

Also wondering if there is a Roon Server setting that might solve the high pitch sound issue.

I'm kinda getting tired of dealing with issues with my SOTM 200 ultra. The microSD keeps corrupting leading me to have to re-burn it and now its not even turning on. Fiddling with the annoying power switch on the SPS 500.. its just a big hassle.

Can anyone recommend  a network streamer that performs as well if not better than this combo but that is more stable and reliable? Also something with a normal proper power switch?

Ideally I would like a network streamer only as I want to use my own dac and want to put all the money into the streaming component. 

@smodtactical dont know of it is you that wrote on Roon forum about this but I wrote an answer there. 

SOtM have problems with the firmware, since 4.22 the problem with the SD card have come more often. Last time it happened to me I bought a new SD card and now it works but for how long.

Main system

TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8D, Ansuz Darkz D-TC

Tidal Hifi -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Netgear GS108 -> SOtM sMS-200ultra Neo -> USB -> SOtM tX-USBultra -> USB -> DAC

HD Plex PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, switch and NUC), 2x Paul Hynes SR4 PSU (for sMS-200ultra and tX-USBultra)

Second system

Tidal Hifi -> Devialet Dialog, Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

43 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

I'm kinda getting tired of dealing with issues with my SOTM 200 ultra. The microSD keeps corrupting leading me to have to re-burn it and now its not even turning on. Fiddling with the annoying power switch on the SPS 500.. its just a big hassle.

Can anyone recommend  a network streamer that performs as well if not better than this combo but that is more stable and reliable? Also something with a normal proper power switch?

Ideally I would like a network streamer only as I want to use my own dac and want to put all the money into the streaming component. 

No issues here at all to be honest. Can't remember which firmware I'm on currently, it was updated by SOTM some months ago when I sent my SMS200-Ultra and txUSB-Ultra to them for all the upgrades.

That said, I need to sell mine now, as I'm switching to fully active speakers, and can't use USB output [Anyone interested in buying a fully upgraded SOTM Ultra Trifecta, PM me]

As for an alternative streamer for you, the only ones I would consider that should be competitive on a sound quality level are the Lumin U1 if you want Roon integration, or the Aurender N10 if you don't.

46 minutes ago, smodtactical said:

A far superior stand-alone streamer would be the Aries G1. It cost twice though...Personally, I opted for an Auralic product, and after the initial jolt of financial pain have been nothing but happy.

Another approach is a computer based server. That is, If you can find a good software to remotely to operate the computer over your phone or tablet. If you want to covert the USB signal to either AES or SPDIF, I have a fantastic solution, although not conventional: mindDPS U-DIO8. The sound quality is very high, and it costs only $400, which is far below most converters. The DB25 cable is cumbersome, but for $40 you can order a custom cable with only one node. If that' something of interest to you, PM me and I'll explain farther. 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]

Regarding issues: I have the "basic" SMS200 and so far I had issues with Qobuz in DLNA mode (which have disappeared after a change of my home network setup from Airport Express to UniFi AMPLIFI instant). I have now switched to Roon as player and my only qualm is that after prolonged non-usage (e.g 4-5 days) I need to reboot the SMS200.

Regarding alternatives: this is too broad a question so I guess a avalanche of suggestions are to be expected :-). From personal experience I have used integrated streamers (NAIM NDX) which I was by very happy with. Currently I have moved to Antipodes EX running Roon into a USB DAC. The software that Rendu and Antipodes use are basically the same so I could easily think of Rendu products as a good alternative. What I have heard that SoTM has been "influenced" by Rendu in designing their products. I would be inclined to believe that the Rendu software will be more reliable.

8 hours ago, DrPo said:

Regarding issues: I have the "basic" SMS200 and so far I had issues with Qobuz in DLNA mode (which have disappeared after a change of my home network setup from Airport Express to UniFi AMPLIFI instant). I have now switched to Roon as player and my only qualm is that after prolonged non-usage (e.g 4-5 days) I need to reboot the SMS200.

Regarding alternatives: this is too broad a question so I guess a avalanche of suggestions are to be expected :-). From personal experience I have used integrated streamers (NAIM NDX) which I was by very happy with. Currently I have moved to Antipodes EX running Roon into a USB DAC. The software that Rendu and Antipodes use are basically the same so I could easily think of Rendu products as a good alternative. What I have heard that SoTM has been "influenced" by Rendu in designing their products. I would be inclined to believe that the Rendu software will be more reliable.

A last word of advice, I'd stay clear of any product with DAC functionality (Matrix Element-X mentioned above is one example; Naim NDX is another). Not that those are bad products--far from it--but you pay for unneeded functionality. You'd probably get a better bang for the buck with a dedicated streamer. 

[ AERIS G2 ] => [ MC3+USB x 3 <- -REF10 ] => [ Genelec 8341 x 2 + 7360 x 2 ]

[ Switchable to  [ Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350 ]