IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

Hi,

I have my sms-200 ultra connected to my Sony TAZH1ES Headphone amp this amp supports full DSD but when i try to play a DSF file all i get in my headphones is load crackling noises.

Works fine playing FLAC files.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Nay

Access the sMS-200 ultra via eunhasu.local on your network and make sure the it's not set on DoP.

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

Hi,

I have tried all options Native DSD Type 0 and DSD Type 2 in the Control MPD & DLNA Configure but still no joy.

If i play using JRiver no issues but if i try using android phone bubbleupnp select renderer sms-200 it will not play correctly load crackling noises?

Thankyou.

3 hours ago, Nay said:

Does not seem to be much activity on this post for resolving issues i sent one yesterday with zero response??

You probably need to give more time for a response - folks don't check the site every day.

I too can't play DSD native using my Auralic Vega DAC, even though it is listed on the SOtM website as compatible - I think they are referring to the new model.  The Vega will play native DSD from other devices such as my PC just not from the SMS-200.  As a result I have to be content with DSD using DOP or get a new DAC!!

4 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

I have used an Auralic Vega DAC (original model) without any issues whatsoever.  Native DSD256 and PCM384 via Roon Ready or NAA.

Is your Vega the upgraded version of the original as in this   

https://www.facebook.com/auralic.ltd/posts/dear-auralic-vega-dac-customerswe-are-more-than-glad-to-say-that-the-vega-dsd256/996095743792256/   or is it the original version?  

Despite the claims by Auralic on the Facebook page, they never offered this upgrade to Australian customers at all much to my dismay.

13 hours ago, Nay said:

Does not seem to be much activity on this post for resolving issues i sent one yesterday with zero response??

Sorry Nay; I don't have an answer for you.

Reach out to May at SOtM if you get no response here.

She has been extremely helpful to me troubleshooting.

[email protected]

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

7 hours ago, ClothEars said:

Is your Vega the upgraded version of the original as in this   

https://www.facebook.com/auralic.ltd/posts/dear-auralic-vega-dac-customerswe-are-more-than-glad-to-say-that-the-vega-dsd256/996095743792256/   or is it the original version?  

Despite the claims by Auralic on the Facebook page, they never offered this upgrade to Australian customers at all much to my dismay.

Yes, my Vega is the upgraded version.  It appears you could have sent your unit back to China according to the terms of the Facebook letter.  

SOtM is not misleading anyone on their site by claiming the sMS-200 supports native DSD on the Vega.  If your Vega only supports DoP, which is all the original units ever did prior to the upgrade, then there is no way for SOtM to magically play native DSD.

13 hours ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Yes, my Vega is the upgraded version.  It appears you could have sent your unit back to China according to the terms of the Facebook letter.  

SOtM is not misleading anyone on their site by claiming the sMS-200 supports native DSD on the Vega.  If your Vega only supports DoP, which is all the original units ever did prior to the upgrade, then there is no way for SOtM to magically play native DSD.

Several Aussies (including me) tried to ship our units to Auralic to get the upgrade but they simply refused to service Australian customers until they had rolled out the upgrade in the U.S. and Europe.  Then they simply stopped providing the upgrade at all.

In the Auralic world only The U.S. and Europe matter apparently.    So lucky you!!  

28 minutes ago, ClothEars said:

Several Aussies (including me) tried to ship our units to Auralic to get the upgrade but they simply refused to service Australian customers until they had rolled out the upgrade in the U.S. and Europe.  Then they simply stopped providing the upgrade at all.

In the Auralic world only The U.S. and Europe matter apparently.    So lucky you!!  

I'm truly sorry that you missed out.  I'd be pretty upset.

• 3 weeks later...

A SOtM newbie question:

Can I stream SoundCloud off the 200? 

I’ve been told I can run Squeezelite on the 200 and then install a SoundCloud plug-in. But I’m unfamiliar with those products. Do I have to get a Logitech Media Server running somewhere? I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible. Merely connect an SSD to the 200 for local playback and stream off SC.

Looking forward to being educated.

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini] 

5 hours ago, LowMidHigh said:

I’m trying to keep it as simple as possible.

I have no idea about Soundcloud but if it's a plugin for Logitech Media Server that's about as simple as it gets. The Eunhasu interface for the sms-200 allows for starting Squeezelite on your 200. Once you've started Squeezelite you can then start Logitech Media Server from the same icon and install any plugins. Squeezelite and Logitech Media Server are already installed on the SOtM. You only have to add the plugin.

• 4 weeks later...

Another SOtM newbie question.

I recently purchased sMS-200ultra Neo ("Neo").

The question concerns the ability to connect two sources two the Neo.  I have an iFi micro IUSB3.0 connected to the Neo.  Attached to the iFi I have two different headphone dac/amps.  One is a tube amp and the other is a solid state amp.  I use Roon to play my music which is stored on a NAS.

Both dac/amps show up in euhasu.  So I take that as a good sign.  And both are correctly identified.

The problem is that Roon only shows one of the dac/amps.

I previously had an Allo USB bridge.  Using all the same components, Roon saw both dac/amps.  So in Roon I "grouped" the two dac/amps so I could easily  switch my headphones between the two dac/amps.

This is no longer the case.  I now have to get into enhasu and switch the dac/amp and then get into roon and do the same.

Am I missing something.  I hoping that there is a way for the Neo to recognize both sources like the Allo did.

Thanks for the help.

On 7/30/2018 at 12:18 PM, flkin said:

The sMS-200 is device that converts ethernet signals to USB signals that a DAC can read. So basically it's a mini-computer.

The sMS-200ultra is the same sMS-200 but with a better clock board inside. It's sound quite a bit better due to this. A sMS-200ultra with BNC clock input allows an even higher quality external clock signal to be fed into the sMS-200ultra and used instead of it's own internal clock. Again another jump in performance.

So you actually don't need the BNC external clock connector to use the device as it's already quite a bit better than the original sMS-200. But if you want an option to play with external clocks in the future, then it's a good idea to have it. External clocks and connection cables are pretty expensive and can cost quite a bit more than the sMS-200ultra so be warned!

I'am also interested in an external word clock!

There are different offers. On Ebay there is a used Antelope 10M Clock with two 75ohm outputs, of course there is an offer to the sCLK-OCX10 master clock, but very expensive - beside my sms-200ultra and the txb-ultra there is a additional sps-500 needed to setup the "4" devices. A alternative master-clock was offered from my dealer.. it calls 10M NCTR-Clock with internal Power Supply (230V) for 1500€.

Are there differences between the master-clock - 10Mhz??

3 hours ago, Thomas_2013 said:

I'am also interested in an external word clock!

There are different offers. On Ebay there is a used Antelope 10M Clock with two 75ohm outputs, of course there is an offer to the sCLK-OCX10 master clock, but very expensive - beside my sms-200ultra and the txb-ultra there is a additional sps-500 needed to setup the "4" devices. A alternative master-clock was offered from my dealer.. it calls 10M NCTR-Clock with internal Power Supply (230V) for 1500€.

Are there differences between the master-clock - 10Mhz??

Search the "Novel Way..." thread for the master clock comparison.  The Mutec REF10 is the way to go between the OCX10 and REF10.  Last time I checked, the Antelope clock is not something you would want.  I've never hear d of the NCTR clock.

1 hour ago, auricgoldfinger said:

Search the "Novel Way..." thread for the master clock comparison.  The Mutec REF10 is the way to go between the OCX10 and REF10.  Last time I checked, the Antelope clock is not something you would want.  I've never hear d of the NCTR clock.

+1

There are many vendors in that marketplace, but not all clocks are cut from the same cloth. 

For audio applications, a certain phase noise figure shouldn't be exceeded, among other parameters.

You can save money and buy a Chinese product off eBay, but in all likelihood you'll end up discovering how those people have earned thier reputation for junky products. 

Mutec is a very good choice, but you may consider TEAK and SOtM as well. Cybershaft isn't a good option: curated chips, only one output that is impedence selectable (a bad idea) and no return policy. 

Stereo

[Genelec 1032C x 2 + 7360 x 2] <== [MC3+USB x 3 <-- REF10 SE120] <== [AERIS G2] <== [EtherRegen x 3]
Chain switchable to [Genelec 8331 x 2 + 7350]

Surround

[Genelec 1032C x 3 + 8431 x 2  + 7360 x 2] <== [MiniDSP U-DIO8] <== [Mac Mini]