IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

Just now, Armando Cruz said:

Do you have any views on ...andru26?

Hans is a very respected reviewer and his opinion is worth looking into. 
At the same time, from personal experience, I found out that the performance of a component inside a system depends on the synergy with the other system components, so this pretty much means you have to test it in your own system to know for sure.

Maybe this article can be helpful as well: https://audiobacon.net/2017/07/11/uptone-audio-iso-regen-review/

1 hour ago, Armando Cruz said:

"means you have to test it in your own system to know for sure."

Thats what I intend to do.

I have seen the article from audiobacon before, but is using the sms 200 ( with the sms 200 ultra, the results should be different )

Cheers andru26

Cheers and good luck!

@Armando Cruz - I have tried my tX-USBultra with a number of upstream devices, including the sMS-200ultra Neo.  I would say it reduces harshness and improves dynamics, so all good.  However, to my ears it makes zero difference to “body” or tonality.  So if lack of body is the issue, I am not sure the tX will help.  I think the detail and accuracy that the Neo imparts on bass performance, amongst other things, can give the impression of “thinness” with some recordings.  Annoying, but it is what it is. 

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

I started this adventure without any intentions of spending money ... I Bought a Chord mojo and a beyer dynamic 1990 pro and then I thought " what if I buy some speakers? maybe I don't even need amplifier..." After all I needed the amplifier , and the vovox power cables, and the curious usb cables , and wireworld starlight ethernet cables and Lps for everything...This is getting out of hand🙄

I think I'm going to give baby steps - Iso regen first( and I will see how it feels , something tells me that I will have good results, I have an uptone lps 1.2 with Dave Zenwave Dc copper cable  audio ready for it).  Harshness it's not being a problem in my system, especially  now with the new sotm firmware 4.6 and ethernet via 100mb. If there was any harshness it's gone now, that new firmware indeed did wonders!

Thank you Confused

• 3 months later...
56 minutes ago, beautiful music said:

I didn't find the Qobuz plugin on LMS advanced settings, anyone knows how to run Qobuz on 200Ultra without using Roon

For DLNA/MPD Look at the discussion here :

With LMS, you will have to set Qobuz ON (plus Id and pw) in one of its settings pages. Then you will see it in Squeezelight.

Check my profile for my audiosystem.

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I am buying a new dac. Holo Audio Spring 2 dac Kate edition. And my return window on the 200 ultra neo will be up buy the time I get it. I am wondering if keeping the 200 ultra will still make as big a difference as it has through my OPPO 105 USB dac input, and Emotiva RMC1l's USB dac input? What kind of differences will still be noticed over using the laptop hooked directly to the dac? 

Thank you,

Ron

4 hours ago, rhale64l7 said:

Ok I am buying a new dac. Holo Audio Spring 2 dac Kate edition. And my return window on the 200 ultra neo will be up buy the time I get it. I am wondering if keeping the 200 ultra will still make as big a difference as it has through my OPPO 105 USB dac input, and Emotiva RMC1l's USB dac input? What kind of differences will still be noticed over using the laptop hooked directly to the dac? 

Thank you,

Ron

Of course that depends on your entire system but I'd say: Definitely KEEP it (if you can afford the expense).

I use the SMS-200 Ultra with the Bryston BDA-3, and compared to directly feeding it the USB output from my mac mini - the soundstage is deeper, the sound more natural, it cuts a lot of the harshness and overall I get a more natural sound with the SOTM (fed by a linear power supply - seems quite important). I would have never imagined this before listening, but yes, the source is very important;

47 minutes ago, Mikaell said:

Of course that depends on your entire system but I'd say: Definitely KEEP it (if you can afford the expense).

I use the SMS-200 Ultra with the Bryston BDA-3, and compared to directly feeding it the USB output from my mac mini - the soundstage is deeper, the sound more natural, it cuts a lot of the harshness and overall I get a more natural sound with the SOTM (fed by a linear power supply - seems quite important). I would have never imagined this before listening, but yes, the source is very important;

1 hour ago, Mikaell said:

Well my entire system is pretty incredible sounding now. But of course we are all looking for the best sound possible within our means. My system consists of an Emotiva RMC1L as processor. Two Digital Amp Co. Cherry amps 5 and 4 channel. Sotm Sms200 ultra neo with Sps500 power supply. Will have the Holo Audio Spring 2 dac Kitsune Edition. All Neotech occ cables. Power interconnect, and speaker. Pangea USB cable. Rythmik E15HPSE sub. Panasonic UB820 blue ray player. Aerial Acoustics 6t mains, 7cc center, 5t surrounds Golden Ear HTR7000 in ceiling atmos speakers. Iso Acoustics Gaia 3's aperta's under center and rears. Dedicated well treated room with bass traps and first reflection's 

On 2/2/2020 at 3:49 AM, rhale64l7 said:

Also your saying if I had the trifecta even going to a higher quality dac that it would be a noticeable improvement?

I don't have the TX-usb and I could still clearly "see" the improvement with my BDA-3. And the Bryston does pretty nifty internal reclocking...

• 2 months later...

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but is it possible to connect the sms200 directly to a computer (mac mini in my case which runs my roon core) via ethernet and eliminate the need for a router altogether?  Is there a downside to this?  Alternatively, I would need to place a wireless router in the room and run ethernet from that to the sotm.

Hi there.  You may find some useful information in the "network bridging" section of this thread:  https://audiophilestyle.com/forums/topic/30376-a-novel-way-to-massively-improve-the-sq-of-computer-audio-streaming/?tab=comments#comment-613370

Good luck!

Front ends:

Digital: Sonore ultraRendu or SOtM 200 ultra Trifecta --> LKS MH-D004

Analog: Clearaudio Performance DC --> Rogue Triton

Back end: SMc Audio VRE-1C --> SMc Audio DNA125 Platinum Plus-->Stealth Dream v10 cables --> Ridge Street Audio Designs Sason speakers, dual Rhythmik F12SE subs

28 minutes ago, audiophile911 said:

Please forgive me if this is a dumb question but is it possible to connect the sms200 directly to a computer (mac mini in my case which runs my roon core) via ethernet and eliminate the need for a router altogether?  Is there a downside to this?  Alternatively, I would need to place a wireless router in the room and run ethernet from that to the sotm.

Yes that should be possible. I have done it with a NUC and windows10. You should give the sms200 a static (fixed) ethernet address via the eunhasu webpage. The MAC should notice so that Roon can find it. If the MAC does not recognize the sms200 you could try to open the eunhasu webpage  and restart the Roon app on the eunhasu page. If you have 2 ethernet ports on your MAC then you could attach the MAC also to your outside network and then you could try bridging as mentioned by Aggielaw. 

Check my profile for my audiosystem.