IGNORED

Let's talk about SOTM SMS-200 ULTRA

along with the tx usb ultra and later on the sms200 ultra with the tx usb. Believe me no mods a necessary to have a great improvement in sound.

its just simple put the usb cable from the sms 200 to the usb txultra and put again a usb cable from the tx usb to your dac. The internal clock works even if you have a standard version without an extra clock input. Exept other clocks cannot easily fitted.

1 hour ago, Jmzeitouni said:

Thanks 

just to clarify : I initially was looking at the sms-200 ultra Because I wanted a “portable” streamer with ssd attached (that could be also a in house solution) because I spend a lot of time in rental apartments and houses. After understanding that it would have been a lot of gear to carry around with the power supply etc, I’ve looked at my setup and since my DAC-amp has a Ethernet bridge that does a lot of cleaning and that my computer is a sonic transporter i7 with all ssd, it would be better to get the tx-usb ultra for when streaming to a usb DAC (Hugo 2) and Ethernet directly from the SonicTransporter to the bridge of my home system. 

Understanding that would “force” me to use the usb out of the SonicTransporter to the tx-usb ultra, I thought this morning that if I got a regular sms-200, that could give me the option steam via Ethernet & I could take the sms-200 on the road without the external power supply. 

Understandind that hat the SQ would be less while on the road, I could benefit from the clock of the tax-usb ultra while at home. 

The advantage of the regular sms-200 (to me) is that it’s smaller and also about 1/3 the price of the ultra. 

Downside, if I understand correctly, is that it doesn’t have the clock of the tax-usb ultra when used separately. 

I understand there might be a lower SQ improvement  using the sms-200 with tx-usb ultra as opposed to using two ultra devices, but will it at least be better that using the sms-200 ultra alone ? (With PS)

Keep in mind that the regular sMS-200 or sMS-200 Neo does not have an internal sCLK-EX board, so there is no concept of a reference clock input on a regular sMS-200.

Also keep in mind that if you modify the sMS-200 to accept its clocks (24MHz for USB and 25MHz for Ethernet and system) from the tX-USBultra's sCLK-EX board, then that sMS-200 is incapable of operating independently, because it needs those clocks to operate, and they are now coming from the tX-USBultra. 

So if you have a use case where you want to carry just the sMS with an SSD with you, you may be better served with the sMS-200 Neo and an LPS-1.2 as a nice "portable" combo.

Thanks to all of you for your replies and detailed instructions. 

I think I’m going to avoid a delays and I’m just going to put the money into a sms-200 ultra neo (I’m getting the psp-500 power supply with a silver stranded Y cable anyway, so that is supposed to be good to power both tx- usb ultra and sms-200 ultra together) so long for portable....

if of any of you are aware of a device (dap) on which one could attach a Samsung t5 ssd or a usb sata drive, I’d love to know. I have a couple of high end daps but they can only take 400Gb micro sd cards, so that’s not enough for me. But anyway I’m going away from the topic of this thread. 

Well... I’m going to dare and if this is too much off topic, please let me know. 

i understand  this is a computer forum but I was wondering if anybody here had tested any of the usb treatment devices (iso regen, tx-usb ultra, ifi, sonore etc...) on portable gear (Sony WM1Z, Ak players and the like). I’d be curious to know if dedicated music player benefits from all the treatments, or maybe they don’t need it in the first place??

1 hour ago, Confused said:

I have left the REF10 feed to the sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra turned off. The logic here is that previously I could not really detect much difference if I used the REF10 clock feed to the sMS-200Ultra and tX-USBultra or not.

This is something that I tend to think about will it make such a difference that geting a REF10 and upgrading both my SOtM units to have a clock input worth the money? The up coming Uptone switch will have a 10MHz input so the possibility to use the REF10 there is also something that is a possibility.

1 hour ago, Confused said:

The other thought that I have is regarding the Neo update itself. Apparently, the change is to the power board only, and here just a change in the capacitor. How is it possible that this takes the sMS-200Ultra from something that I personally found irritating to something great. Utterly baffling, but yet more evidence as to just how subtle audio reproduction can be.

I will get the capacitor on monday so then my ultra will get the NEO treatment :)

Main system
TAD D1000mk2, TAD M2500mk2, TAD CE-1, Ansuz Mainz 8 C2, Ansuz Darkz D-TC, 
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC
HD Plex 200W PSU (4 rail for ISP fiber, router, etherREGEN and NUC)

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree
18 hours ago, octaviars said:

I will get the capacitor on monday so then my ultra will get the NEO treatment :)

Did you get instructions from SOtM on how to perform the mod?

If so, I guess it would also be reversible if the sound didn't suit one's system.

That would save a lot of "to and froing" to South Korea!

Care to share??

PH SR7 > MacMini+Uptone MMK Mod > Audirvana 3.2 > re-clocked D-LInk switch/LPS1.1 > sMS-200Ultra/LPS1.2 > tX-USBUltra/PH SR7 > Chord BluDave > Focal Utopia(Norne Silver) or Voxativ 9.87/ Stereo REL G1 Mk II

1 hour ago, HeeBroG said:

Did you get instructions from SOtM on how to perform the mod?

If so, I guess it would also be reversible if the sound didn't suit one's system.

That would save a lot of "to and froing" to South Korea!

Care to share??

I dont know what will come with the capacitor as I dont buy it directly from SOtM they only do the full mod. If you want to do it you have to go to the local SOtM agent. 

It is one capacitor on the PSU board so it is reversable. 

Main system
Qobuz Studio -> Roon ROCK on NUC -> Uptone etherREGEN -> dCS Network Bridge -> AES/EBU -> DAC

Second system
1 minute ago, zegel said:

Do you mean by soldering? Or is it a "click" system.  And, do you care to share where the capacitor can be obtained? 

Yes by soldering.

You contact the local agent for SOtM in your country that was the answer I got from May at SOtM.

Main system

Second system

I upgraded my Ultra to NEO today. If you are not experienced with taking apart electronics and de-soldering and soldering back a new capacitor I strongly suggest that shipping it to SOtM being the best option.

Sound wise I will get back to that later ☺️

Main system

Second system
4 hours ago, octaviars said:

I upgraded my Ultra to NEO today. If you are not experienced with taking apart electronics and de-soldering and soldering back a new capacitor I strongly suggest that shipping it to SOtM being the best option.

This is interesting information. Did you find opening the case and removing the boards to be complicated?

6 hours ago, ronfint said:

Did you find opening the case and removing the boards to be complicated?

No it is not complicated if you know what you are doing and have the tools to do it ?

Main system

Second system
15 minutes ago, ronfint said:

Thanks. It seems that inscrutability has become the hallmark of this discussion.

I really dont what to say to you. To me it was not that difficult but then again I am used to do this kind of work.

You have to loosen the front and backside. Disconnect the cable to the button on the front and then pull out the circuitboards. 

Disconnect the PSU board and loosen it from the backside. Desolder the capacitor and replace it with the new one. Be careful so the negative side of the capacitor comes in the right position. 

Then put it togheter again.

Main system

Second system
2 hours ago, d_elm said:

I changed the capacitor in my sMS-200ultra and conclude one must be perfectly comfortable with doing such work or get someone who is to do the job.

Can I ask if you have noticed any difference in the sound since making the change?

Windows 11 PC, Roon, HQPlayer, Focus Fidelity convolutions, iFi Zen Stream, Paul Hynes SR4, Mutec REF10, Mutec MC3+USB, Devialet 1000Pro, KEF Blade.  Plus Pro-Ject Signature 12 TT for playing my 'legacy' vinyl collection. Desktop system; RME ADI-2 DAC fs, Meze Empyrean headphones.

26 minutes ago, Confused said:

Can I ask if you have noticed any difference in the sound since making the change?

Nothing jumped out, perhaps settling is required, so I will just leave it to the experts at SOtM to make decisions.  I am also making changes to a Lush cable with how shields are connected so my system is not stable, but progressing.

I found that switching between  boot sd cards significantly alters the sound of the streamer. For example samsung pro 32gb sdhc has faster/ better transients/ dynamics but adds a glaze to the timbre which i dislike. Samung evo 64 sdxc has a more soft character like adding a tube buffer  .. Overall i think  the default  8gb sandisk is well balanced , but keep wondering if adding a slc micro sd would upgrade  the sound of the streamer. I know that slc has positive effect as music storage but how about  boot os ? Any experiences?   

29 minutes ago, Blade1001 said:

I'm sorry, I know us audiophiles can find lot of weird and wonderful ways of thinking we are changing the sound of our system, but how on earth can a read-only SD card, that is presumably only used when the device boots, and is in no way a part of the signal path, have any influence on the sound?

As a bootable disk I'm assuming it will also hold the operating system however small that may be, Kernel, etc.(unless there is another internal disc) If so it would influence the 'sound'

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Is anyone using Replay gain with their sms-200 or ultra? I've had an sms-200 Neo for a couple days now and have found the replay gain settings in the Eunhasu user interface don't seem to be working. It doesn't seem to matter whether I select "Track" or "Album" setting, I have to manually adjust the volume for most tracks when playing a random song playlist.

I've come from using JRiver for years and had no issues with replay gain functionality. All my files are .wav with both replay gain and R128 tags.

I'm using DLNA in Eunhasu, with my CAPS server running JRiver as DLNA server and sms-200 as renderer. JRemote on iPod Touch is the control point. Files are on a Synology NAS. Eunhasu was just updated to latest version.

Hopefully someone is able to point me to a fix or setting to resolve this.

Thanks.