IGNORED

Why Do People Come To Computer Audiophile To Display Their Contempt For Audiophiles?

8 minutes ago, Albrecht said:

Hi, not the subject of the OP's post.

It’s all good.

One never knows, do one? - Fats Waller

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

4 minutes ago, jabbr said:

What I've also seen is that certain folks who are industry experts have been aggressively chased off the site -- is this related?

Yeah, I think so.

The fairest thing we can experience is the mysterious. It is the fundamental emotion which stands at the cradle of true art and true science. - Einstein

Computer, Audirvana -> optical Ethernet to Fitlet3 -> Fibbr Alpha Optical USB -> iFi NEO iDSD DAC -> Apollon Audio 1ET400A Mini (Purifi based) -> Vandersteen 3A Signature.

12 minutes ago, kumakuma said:

In my experience, people like this soon move on so perhaps I just filter them out...

I need more of your patience. :)

3 hours ago, wgscott said:

There does seem to be an overall degradation of the quality of discourse, at least in the US.  There is far too much emphasis on identifying with a team (or political party) and scoring cheap shots, and far too little honest deliberative discourse.  I would much rather learn something new, rather than be right about some trivial point.  There was a grain of truth in my earlier snarky comment -- those guys won't learn anything from each other because they are all in agreement.  If you can learn something new and different from someone who has an opposite point of view, it seems like everyone comes out better for it.  But you don't get that unless you have an honest exchange of viewpoints.  Disagreements about facts are fine.  Disagreements that come down to partisan identity BS gets us nowhere. That's why I find labels like "objectivist" or "subjectivist" counterproductive.

If I could like this 20 times under the forum rules, I would.  Nailed it (here *and* elsewhere).

10 hours ago, esldude said:

My complaint is not that there are people who disagree or have another opinion.  My complaint is when a large enough number of people simply retreat to "I hear" and nothing you can say, do or demonstrate trumps the craziest of ideas, then there is no area of common ground left.

So sure if at local bar or club I would end up chatting with people who would be interesting to be around.

On the other hand, going into a country and western themed bar knowing how much I generally abhor country music might not be a smart choice as to where to go.  Going into a  bar where most of the patrons wish to drink, and get into a refreshing bar fight before the night ends also is not a wise choice (for me).  Either of those could still have some worthwhile people in them.  Just not a high probability of being happy with either of them.   So if you end up in such a place it probably is wise to recognize the kind of place it is and mosey on down the road to a different place.

Interesting that after a recently locked thread, I heard from "objectivists" who talked about how much the thread was veering off the rails into fantasy-land, and "subjectivists" who felt folks who wanted to give some credence to anecdotal listening impressions were really getting it in the neck in that thread.

This is what happens when, instead of offering up information for those who might choose to take it in, we treat posts as "first downs" or "scores" for the "other team."  If you look at things that way, there are plenty of folks on both sides and neither side is ever going to win, so you're doomed to dissatisfaction.  On the other hand, it also means there are plenty of folks who *are* ready to listen to you.

Face it folks, there are going to be precious few if any Road to Damascus moments here, where someone drops to his or her electronic knees and types "The scales have fallen from mine eyes!"  It doesn't work like that here, and hardly ever does anywhere.  More often, people slowly come to understand that you may have something worthwhile to say, if you try to be factual (whether that is about your anecdotal experience or engineering or scientific facts), respectful, and even possibly helpful.  (Sometimes folks can try to be helpful in a less than respectful way, then wonder why their suggestions aren't taken up more readily, which reminds me of Mark Twain's remarks about the missionaries who brought civilization to the savages of the Hawaiian Islands, thus helping them to see the disadvantages of running around in a perfect climate nearly naked, versus the advantages of wearing dark wool suits and dress shoes.)  There was at least one recent thread about grounding methods where I was very grateful that @Speedskater chimed in to help keep people from experimenting in such a way as to possibly fry themselves.  Some people may have taken this as raining on their experimental parade, but I reckon a live experimenting audiophile is better than a dead 'un.

Just now, pkane2001 said:

I put two of the more aggressive offenders on my ignore list, and I have to say that I now have a much more enjoyable and peaceful time reading CA forums. I highly recommend this feature!

Yup, that works - oh wait, maybe you're not seeing this....  ;)

I have very few people on my ignore list and always regret putting folks there, in contrast to @wgscott, who takes a savage personal glee in it!  :)

16 minutes ago, mansr said:

I find the nastiest language coming from "true believers" belittling those of us who favour a scientific/engineering approach to obtaining good sound. I'm talking about the "you're just jealous because you can't afford the fancy cables," "if you can't hear it your system, your ears, and your dog are rubbish," etc.

I would guess that both overall and among the more frequent posters, more people on the site would identify toward the "subjectivist" than the "objectivist" end of the spectrum.  So I do think it's especially incumbent on the subjectivist folks not to turn defensive when posts they feel are "objectivist" are put up.

But for all of us, becoming defensive simply means we become two camps lobbing arguments at each other over the castle walls, not people having a discussion that can result in folks learning things they didn't know before.  Having helpful facts is important, but presentation is as well.  There are folks who've been here a long time who have quite a sardonic sense of humor, and if they suddenly changed that I'd wonder if something was wrong.  But not everyone can bring that off.

28 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

And as I've said 1000 times,

And in only 182 posts!   ;) 

28 minutes ago, AJ Soundfield said:

none of those folks know the meaning of that word. Otherwise, there could be no arguments, which is all about objective claims.

A "subjectivist" would not care one whit what the item costs, the purity of materials its made of, how much lower or higher distortion or jitter or whatever electro-acoustic parameter it creates.

The only thing that would matter is that is pleases them more, whether or not is "sounds" different or not, because sound has a dictionary meaning. One does not have to stare at, know about and fondle something for a week or months to determine sound. No "test" is required to determine if one likes the thing or not.

There can be no conflict between true subjectivity and objective facts. Only between those who don't know what they are.

That's certainly one way to look at it.  :) 

46 minutes ago, Daudio said:

I knew there was something about you that I liked ! Great quote :)

I remember that situation playing out on these pages years ago. and it revolved around a posted picture of him. I can't say I know everything about it, but my strong take-away from back then is he descended into an almost pathological fit of paranoia (I was shocked), talking all kinds of wild 'what-if's', and refusing to let it go, which is probably why that myth still hangs around  :(

I am very familiar with the situation, and it is no myth at all.  Nor was any paranoia involved.

The only other parallel situation I recall is when some idiot decided that arguing with Paul R (who used to use his full name on the forum, but not after this) should involve Googling personal information about him and splashing it around the forum.  Chris banned him promptly.

17 hours ago, Daudio said:

What else would you have me do ? Shut up and let the antisocial behavior continue to drag this forum down, stifling speech*, and inhibiting traffic ???

I think not, but what say you ?

17 hours ago, rickca said:

I'm so glad someone is here to protect us from the meanies. 

Daudio, a fair question.

rickca, this isn't about protecting anyone, of course.

Daudio, can you point out to me a thread where writing personal comments about someone else stopped the antisocial behavior you're concerned about, rather than having it continue unabated or even worsen?  I agree we'd like a better quality of discussion; I just seriously doubt personal remarks are an effective way to get there.

By the way: When I suggested starting one's own thread, that can work for both people who want to have subjective discussions and those who want to keep things objective.  It's a big, big forum.  There have been various successful long threads where the OP has suggested keeping discussions along certain lines and that's been respected.  On the other hand, there have been threads started by both subjectivists and objectivists where people just could not keep themselves from diving in and spoiling the type of discussion the OP wanted to have.  (There's the recent amp break-in thread I've already mentioned, as well as a couple of @esldude's threads I can think of, the mere existence of which various subjectivists decided to treat as a personal affront.  @wgscott's recent thread can also be fairly seen, I think, as a request to answer an objective question that became hopelessly embroiled in useless argument.)

7 minutes ago, MikeyFresh said:

Not too far fetched at all, maybe a difference in a constrained layer damping type effect, depending on the actual materials in use for the chassis, cover/lid/feet, even the screws themselves. Stiffness/density/anodized/painted etc... potential variables in the materials used that could produce an audible result if screws were loosened or tightened. Not voodoo pseudo science, just a difference in the way vibration is transmitted (or not).

Could be audible as better or worse, unless one requires reams of empirical data to arrive at indisputable measured proof of the audibility (otherwise it certainly cannot exist). In that case it isn't audible to them.

I know that Demian Martin, designer of some Spectral and Constellation equipment, did write about concerns regarding vibration when he used to hang out here, and he was never one for fantasies.

On the other hand, @mansr could well be right. :)